New Animations for Preexisting Models

Red Dingo

Question

I've been toying around with Hylian Tool Box because I wondered if it is possible to customize objects with new animations. Like say a Deku Scrub performing the attack that Deku Link does in MM. Problem is that I'm not exactly sure where to start with all those limbs. Any suggestions?

Okay, I fiddled around some more and made something that looks like a spin kick animation. It's about 18 frames long. I think I also gave it forward momentum with the Z-coordinate in Transition.

Dekukick1_zps5f517ec6.png

Dekukick2_zpsc21e1a4b.pngDekukick3_zpsc9ad9087.png

Further note: I strongly suspect that I tried to mod a Rom with this as is, it would crash the game (it's supposed to be addition to the vanilla animations). I'm also certain that it would not produce an sound or collision effect on Link. I'm an artist not a coder.

3 answers to this question

My finding is that the animation can only be copied from another actor with 2 conditions:

1. the actor must have the same number of limbs as the donor

2. the limbs have to be in the same order and placement similar to the animation you want to achieve.

However, if rule 1 is satisfied, you can alter the animation somehow to be in the proper order if rule 2 is not correct, but that is up to you to figure it out. Are you having difficulties assigning the imported animations to the actor's AI? You need to change the offsets for them to work in-game, but also make sure the 2 guidelines are followed.

But, you can also just make new animations and change the offset of the animation you're swapping in the AI.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.