HOLY CRAP OOT DEBUG

mooliecool

Seems legit.

In all seriousness though, it looks like a quick edit to the debug ROM slapped onto a cartridge. I may be wrong, but I doubt that the developers needed to use a cartridge for the port, considering it was intended to play on the GameCube and all. Besides, $168,000 is a bit steep.

• Like 2

It has 5 offers. I hope one of them will be a hero, and dump that ROM.

Actually, looking at the video... it looks like the hacked ROM, but I could be wrong. Seems like it might be a scam, because those prototype carts are erasable. Someone could have gotten the Debug ROM and wrote it to the cart... easily.

Well, there are some non-retail OoT builds out there that haven't been leaked, as far as I can remember. I believe ASSEMbler once showed off ex. another GCN OoT build with no copyright information on the title screen whatsoever, or something like that. That's what I assumed this might be...

...but as Vixolyn mentioned, the GCN builds of OoT were exactly that - intended to be run on the GCN's N64 emulator, not an actual N64. So why would there be any builds of the game with a copyright date of 2003 and the GCN controller button colors on N64 dev cartriges? Someone's had an MQ Debug ROM, access to a flash gang writer, and an idea for a scam.

• Like 2

Well, there are some non-retail OoT builds out there that haven't been leaked, as far as I can remember. I believe ASSEMbler once showed off ex. another GCN OoT build with no copyright information on the title screen whatsoever, or something like that. That's what I assumed this might be...

...but as Vixolyn mentioned, the GCN builds of OoT were exactly that - intended to be run on the GCN's N64 emulator, not an actual N64. So why would there be any builds of the game with a copyright date of 2003 and the GCN controller button colors on N64 dev cartriges? Someone's had an MQ Debug ROM, access to a flash gang writer, and an idea for a scam.

Yes... here's the deal, though, I don't remember Dark Link being in that room in the original... I could be wrong, but the first time I had the Debug ROM, Dark Link was not in that room.

What gets me is the video shown on the page looks like it would be the original LOZ: Ocarina of Time. It says nothing about Master Quest. The date is 2003 though, which would be the master quest. And the HUD is still the colors of the Gamecube controller. So what raises a red flag with me is why would it be an original OoT game but the other points I mentioned point to Master Quest? Also, the person never showed anything but that one room. Had we seen a temple or dungeon, we could've easily seen if it was original or MQ. My bets are it's just a MQ debug ROM with the logo changed to look like the original game instead. As xdan said, why would a debug prototype of the original OoT have a copyright date of 2003 and the Gamecube HUD? That just doesn't make sense to me. I personally think they're trying to sucker someone in to paying a ridiculous amount for that game. Also, why leave the best offer feature open? Even if someone where to offer $50,000 for it, I bet they would take it since it probably cost next to nothing to make.

• Like 1

Do you guys remember that the disc with MQ on it also had regular OoT?

Did the original Ocarina of Time on the MQ disk also have the modded HUD as well along with the date change? I never played it so I don't know.

I was thinking about the logo, but I was too tired to check... I was pretty sure the title screen logo was off. Still, I modified the logo for ZEY, so I forgot.

I'm still not going to check, but I mean... I THINK the one I have has the blue title screen logo, but don't quote me on that.

Of course, I have the modified Debug ROM, with the screwed up room in Ganondorf's collapsing castle... >_>

Which I fixed for ZEY.... but the castle will be replaced later anywayz.

I was thinking about the logo, but I was too tired to check... I was pretty sure the title screen logo was off. Still, I modified the logo for ZEY, so I forgot.

I'm still not going to check, but I mean... I THINK the one I have has the blue title screen logo, but don't quote me on that.

Of course, I have the modified Debug ROM, with the screwed up room in Ganondorf's collapsing castle... >_>

Which I fixed for ZEY.... but the castle will be replaced later anywayz.

Sorry for post this here and bother, but... how can I fix that screwed up room in Ganondorf's collapsing castle? I think I have that Debug ROM too.

the only question i have is why is it on n64 hardware... it wouldnt make a lot of sense to test on the n64 and not the gamecube's emulator.. unless it was easier to build new roms from the source files (which the devs obviously had) than to edit pre-existing roms.

all the other shit people are talking about is actually infact on the gamecube version. i booted it up on wiiflow to check.

would be way more believable if there were dungeon footage though.

The advantage of having an N64 copy would be in helping to develop the emulator that was used to run the game rather than to actually debug the game itself I would imagine. It's not unreasonable to think that this ROM is out there somewhere but whether or not this is an original copy is debatable.

@Agnostic Priest, obviously they were building off of source files. It's a million times easier to modify source over reverse engineering your own game.

One other possibility is that it could have been easier to test certain things on N64 since it wouldn't require extra software to output to a console window when running a debug build, and doesn't take a minute for the the emulator to boot.

You mean this video, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the listing and video. Assemblers also has gcube interface but lacks the actual copyright dates on it but his was still Master Quest still despite having a red logo. My guess is this rom is between the MQ's Debug Rom we have and Assemblers. 

• Like 1

Sorry for post this here and bother, but... how can I fix that screwed up room in Ganondorf's collapsing castle? I think I have that Debug ROM too.

Yeah, that's the hacked ROM... by Cendamos, and others... that was when they fixed a room that was broken in the original. You can fix the scene for besitu by changing the ROM address for besitu_room_0 to be the correct address...

As for the room in the castle, the Arwing will still be there because of how badly they had to mess up the room, but I could release a patch fix for it if you're really interested.

Might take me a little time to get it cleaned up, but I should have a decent patch ready in about a day if I'm not tired or sick. I feel motivated enough to do so.

Yeah, that's the hacked ROM... by Cendamos, and others... that was when they fixed a room that was broken in the original. You can fix the scene for besitu by changing the ROM address for besitu_room_0 to be the correct address...

As for the room in the castle, the Arwing will still be there because of how badly they had to mess up the room, but I could release a patch fix for it if you're really interested.

Might take me a little time to get it cleaned up, but I should have a decent patch ready in about a day if I'm not tired or sick. I feel motivated enough to do so.

I really apreciate this, Airikita since I don't know much about scenes and rooms in game. What I tried was to search for a older ROM, copy and paste that scene and it doesn't work. But if you can do that patch, I think the entire community should be thankful. If can I help you with anything, just pm me or something.

I really apreciate this, Airikita since I don't know much about scenes and rooms in game. What I tried was to search for a older ROM, copy and paste that scene and it doesn't work. But if you can do that patch, I think the entire community should be thankful. If can I help you with anything, just pm me or something.

I'll have a bit of work to do tomorrow then... some other steps are in order to get it started, but it's reversible.

EDIT:

It has come to my attention that the Debug ROM is not byteswapped to be readable in big endian, but rather the original is in LITTLE ENDIAN... my concern is that little endian ROMs don't work on console?

It's possible this isn't the case though...

I have also found that the original Debug ROM we have has a blue logo, not a red one like this guy shows. Makes me wonder...

Edited by Airikita

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.