NoName (OoT Mod) [Cancelled, source available]

CloudMax

Okay, so since there's more talk about shields, swords, etc., I'll just put this out there.

I already have things planned out in terms of equipment for link, and the models to use. There are several details which I'm not willing to share yet, as I do not want to say to much before it's actually done, so just avoid asking questions regarding equipment and items models, etc. until I actually decide to share more information about it myself.

I am currently working on making my custom action engine hardware compatible, but it has proven to be more difficult than I thought it'd be.

The code is now properly loaded into the RAM on boot, and is properly hooked when using items. However, the game freezes when a custom action is used.

When I looked into it, it appears that when playing on console, the game is writing some things into portions of the RAM that is completely untouched on emulator. (more specifically, it wrote camera related data to 0x80410000)

This will make things slightly more difficult for me, as I can't use emulators to check which sections of the RAM are available for me.

So my current goal is to make sure that I put the code at a location which is unused on console, and after that make sure that the actual code actually is compatible.

For those who have no idea what this "custom action engine" is. It is a hack I've written which allows me to easily add new "actions" for items.

I obviously have to write the actual functionality of the item myself, but all requirement like magic cost, ammo cost, usability state (must be in air, must stand on ground, etc.) and even things such as minimum current health requirement is set up in a matter of seconds as I've written a condition function that makes sure that all requirements that are set for the action are met.

For example, I wrote a custom action which equips and unequips iron & hover boots. Then I simply attach that action to the iron & hover boots items. When I now use those two items when equipped to C-Buttons, they'll be usable. This is how I'll be making the custom items used for the mod. Rather than modifying the existing actions, I write new ones from scratch, and link items to the new ones I've made.

In other words, this is a very important feature for the mod, and is my top priority at the moment.

• Like 2

I thought that Airikita's RAM extension made it so that more actors, etc. could be spawned at the same time by moving where Link is located in RAM or something.

However, I spent the last 2 hours making a small hack that allows me to view the RAM from within the game, so that I can make sure that the console doesn't write to the location I'm using. (it would've taken like 1 hour.. but ofc this hack also crashed on console, so I had to figure out how to get it to run on console, lol)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6440063/OoT/modding/ram_viewer_console_2.jpg

From what I could tell, it doesn't write past 0x8044BE90 on console, that's where all the 0xAB bytes start.

I previously put my code at 0x80410000, but it turns out that the console fills up 0x80410000-0x8044BE8F with data, while it is all completely unused on emulator.

I'll probably put my code at some ridiculous address like 0x80500000 though, to make sure that the game doesn't mess with my code.

Oh, and my custom action engine crashed, even when moved to a location where it wasn't overwritten, so some part of it crashes on console. :P

Edit:

I found the problem. It is the function call I make to play sound effects. (equip sound, error sound, etc.) Everything works if I just remove that one command.

Now that I know the problem it shouldn't be to hard to solve it.

Edited by CloudMax

Yeah, I currently have my code at 0x80500000.

And my custom actions now works on console! :) There was some issues with the way I called the sound effect function. It didn't crash on console, so I never noticed that it wasn't set up correctly after I ported the code from NTSC 1.0 over to the debug ROM a while back.

• Like 1

I will post more pictures the moment I'm actually able to show the changes I've made. It is quite difficult at the moment as I am mostly making code changes, which are going to be combined with the display lists that will be ported.

And it may take a while before I actually put together a video. I want all display lists that will be used for link to be done by then, and I want to record it when I have a completed custom scene to show off.

I have no idea how long it'll take, but it will most likely take a long time.

• Like 2

I'm getting very excited about this mod. With your smarts, I'm expecting some awesome things but expecting really isn't a good word to use since I already know some awesome things are taking place. I hope you follow through with this mod because I for one will definitely play it from start to finish once you complete it. I'm especially happy about making the boots custom actions like Twilight Princess does. By the way, have you ever figured out how to make the deku shield not burn up if it gets hit by fire if of course you decide to do something different from a wooden shield?

So, for now at least, you take 4 times the damage on a hero mode file. (Random fact: I initially shifted the byte 4 steps by mistake, resulting in an insane 16x damage. It really hurt to get hit by a bomb when I were going to see if it worked)

I'm getting very excited about this mod. With your smarts, I'm expecting some awesome things but expecting really isn't a good word to use since I already know some awesome things are taking place. I hope you follow through with this mod because I for one will definitely play it from start to finish once you complete it. I'm especially happy about making the boots custom actions like Twilight Princess does. By the way, have you ever figured out how to make the deku shield not burn up if it gets hit by fire if of course you decide to do something different from a wooden shield?

I have not looked into changing the deku shield like that. Main reason is because I actually want the deku shield to be present. And wood burns.

However, when on the subject.. I just realised that the Hero's Shield is supposed to be a permanent upgrade. And then I realised that there are likelikes. I need to make sure that they don't eat the shield.

The same goes for tunics. I would not want them to eat your permanent equipment upgrades, haha.

However, if the only thing they can eat is deku shield.. that wouldn't be very fun.. I'll look into some alternatives later. (Eat ammo?)

Edit:

It is now possible to navigate the file select menues with the D-Pad. May seem like a minor detail, but to me it is a great addition, as I almost always try to use the D-Pad every time I start the game, just to realise that you must use the analog stick. (I prefer using D-Pad in 2D environments)

Edited by CloudMax
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You are some sort of wizard! Whereas Airikita can make nearly any model work to her specifications and add new functionality to the actual game itself your hacking seems to go to another kind of expertise. You seem to have a great deal of organizational skill and finesse in how all of your work combines together. Your work on the menus is awe-inspiring and this mod looks like it will be grand! Keep up the fantastic work!

• 2 months later...

Indeed, though reality can be harsh. I currently do not have the time to work on this project. I used to be unemployed and was actively modding for like 3-4 months, which explains the rappid progress of the stuff I did.

That is no longer the case. You could basically say that I replaced the time I spent modding with my job. The little time I have left during workdays I'd rather take it easy and watch TV, surf the web, etc.

This leaves the weekends. On the weekends I still do exactly what I used to, only thing is, my top priority is my new website, so all my modding related stuff is put on hold for now.

(Well, I do still help people out "behind the scenes" through private messages and such, but nothing with my name on it is being worked on)

The current idea is to finish writing the new CloudModding website, after that I want to finish my Texture Explorer (I got my job roughly 1 week after I started working on the tool, such bad timing, never got around to finishing it, haven't touched it ever since).

What happens after that I don't even know. I currently have the urge to just sit down and rewrite my z64editor.. again... to make it even more flexible and manageable, not to mention improve the framerate of the entire thing.

But you'll never know, perhaps I'll change my mind and pick up this mod again after the texture explorer is done.

One thing is for sure, I am not ready to throw away this mod yet. I really want it to get somewhere as I myself am looking forward to being able to play it when the time comes. It will however take longer than anticipated.

• Like 5

Yes, life when being a frontrunner is difficult, but small steps is all you need to do if you feel like continuing the project. Most of the time I end up messing around with my hacks as I get overstressed with other things.

I'm starting to realize this were to be no different if I did a Game Designing project.

• 4 months later...

This is long overdue, but it is finally time for me to realise that this project won't get any further.

It is officially cancelled, I don't want people to live with false hope of something that just won't happen.

I am going to keep my promise of releasing the source of the modification. It will pretty much be released as-is, which I'm not sure is a good thing anymore. Reason being that I cancelled the project during a transition between renegade64 and galatea. This means that the latest code must be compiled with galatea, and *PARTS* of the original code must be compiled with galatea, since when I were updating code, I used galatea, but old parts still use renegade64.

My kokiri district sketchup file, menu textures, etc. will be available, and anyone may use it. Well, pretty much everything (which really isn't that much) will be available. Just make sure to credit me if using stuff in your own project.

All my documentation and notes will also be available, I am sure that there's a lot of previously undocumented stuff scattered all over the place.

And some notes that I'll mention now, because I'll probably forget about it later:

The new equipment system is not fully functional. I never got around to rewriting the receieve item functions for sword and the like. If anyone uses my equipment system they'll have to write that part themselves, though it should be very easy to do this. You'd just have to change which flag is set when you receive swords / shields / tunics, etc.

The ammo display function was rewritten along with the equipment system rewrite, however, if I recall correctly, I never did finish that either. I believe it should display ammo correctly on C-Buttons, with the green text for limits, etc., but I don't think the capacity limit is correctly set in the inventory screen, meaning that the ammo is green at incorrect times. This should also be relatively easy to fix, just look at the rewrite for the c-button ammo.

The Custom Action Engine should be fully functional and is properly documented, people should be able to use it with ease as long as they know ASM.

The File Select is *almost* complete. In specific situations (I believe when you confirm deleting a file for example), the 2 buttons do not appear at the correct Y Position. Not a big deal, should be easy to fix.

I am not sure if I ever did fix the hero mode issue I had. When creating hero mode files the game would freeze on console, I believe it was somehow related to me using the Disk Drive flag for hero mode. This may or may not be fixed.

The project used my texture packer & rom patcher available at http://cloudmodding.com/n64 to build the project. A few minor ASM hacks are written directly into the rom patcher txt files.

I think that's most of the important stuff. I'll be cleaning up the folder before releasing it, removing ROM files and old outdated backups, etc. I'll try to put it up within the next few weeks (hopefully sometime this month)

:(

I hate to see any ROM hacking project fail.  Well, except for maybe one that involves turning pokemon into a white pride/ KKK propaganda, or anything that involves  making a PG title XXX-rated...

*ponders*

ANYHOW!

The bitter truth is a ROM hack is often a soul sucking effort.  No matter how much you thin you are ready, it seems to always take 300% more than you prepared for.

Make you wonder if professional game design works the same way doesn't it? 

But even then it's not the same.  There's no pay check, and people always expect more no matter how epic you made it.  You work your ass off just so some new comer with 3 forum post can say he could have done so much better.

Anyways, you have so many other great projects going.  So don't feel bad.  You've already done as much as anyone here ever did.

• Like 1

As a matter of fact, I am starting a new project, not related to modding. about two weeks ago an art designer showcased a game concept for me in person, I accepted the offer so I'm going to be the programmer. This is the main reason I no longer have the time to mod (because all of us work on it on our freetime). its a mobile/Facebook game developed in unity.

maybe it'll fail, maybe it won't. you guys will probably find out in half a year or so.

• Like 7

As a matter of fact, I am starting a new project, not related to modding. about two weeks ago an art designer showcased a game concept for me in person, I accepted the offer so I'm going to be the programmer. This is the main reason I no longer have the time to mod (because all of us work on it on our freetime). its a mobile/Facebook game developed in unity.

maybe it'll fail, maybe it won't. you guys will probably find out in half a year or so.

That is GREAT news.  Congratulations!! Now I don't have to feel like a vulture if I use stuff from your project in ZB2.

Too many people are going to miss the good news here.  I suggest you make a post just for that so everyone can wish you well.

I agree, though modding projects have always been a side-hobby for me. I don't know where my project will lead to, but I am likely going to focus on game design eventually myself.

Best of luck! Some things are more important in life after all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.