Link Face Textures

Strati

Question

Link.jpgI'm working in a custom model to replace Link and I need some help on how to work the eyes and mouth textures in.

Normally, I believe it would be just a matter of replacing the original textures with mine, but since it's a different head model I'm afraid it will be more complicated than that.

This is a big guess on how things work. Please, feel free to correct me:

Eye/mouth textures are stored as any other into Adult and child objects and there's a function for texture animation stored somewhere in code.zasm, where I should go and fix some pointers to reflect the new textures' location.

Could anyone of you who know well their stuff give me some tips on how to proceed?

• Like 4

4 answers to this question

Thanks for those addresses!

I have another question, though. I know I'm being lazy and should look after them myself, but there's no harm in asking: 

Do you have any hint on how the game identifies which polygon those textures will occupy? Normally they would be at the display list, but it seems you're saying the pointers lead directly to the textures, so I'm a bit confused.

This is correct. You UV Map your textures to wherever you'd like, and then include multiple "versions" of that texture for each frame of Link blinking or his mouth doing whatever. There are four mouth textures 0x400 bytes a piece, and eight eye textures that are 0x800 bytes a piece. The pointers point to where the textures are within Link's file.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.