Japanese Tablet in A link between worlds [SPOILERS]

Zeth Ryder

So I've been curious since I saw the Tablet in Lorule's Sacred Realm and wondered about it. So I took some screenshots to the best of my ability during that cutscene. As I looked over some of the symbols and tried writing them down on paper, I began to look over the Alphabets in the Historia which it doesn't fit any, HOWEVER, it seems to follow the Japanese Alphabet! I did recognize some of the Katakana characters. Perhaps someone more fluent in Japanese could help determine what its saying. Sorry for the quality, this is the best screenshots I could get. Perhaps someone else might have better ones? 

Tablet_1_zps44cfb595.png

Tablet_2_zpsa9b2bdd6.png

Tablet_No_Glow_zpsfea78652.png

Good catch! If you go to the Zelda Wiki apparently Nintendo released an Alphabet regarding the Hylian  alphabet of this era...

1000px-ALBW_Hylian_Legend.jpg

I was really interested in this as well, good work recording it!

Unfortunately my eyesight is just a little too poor to make anything out, but it may yet be another alphabet that's unique to Lorule. I *think* I can make out some similar letters, but I wouldn't be able to place them.

I just hope the final answer isn't as disappointing as translating the Hylian in the graves in OoT, is it really essential for the Dead to remember the Alphabet?

This does appear to be Katakana. Good find Zeth! I suppose someone with a fair knowledge of Japanese could read it, especially if playing on a 3DS XL. Extracting the textures is probably too difficult right now.

Yeah it is, as far as I know the 3DS games are pretty heavily encrypted. So texture/model extracting to get better screens is out of the question atm.

• Like 1

Most of it is hiragana, I can make out a bit of it.  What we should do is draw over the picture for a clearer look at what the lettering is and then have a go at translating it. Unfortunately, a lot of it is hard to make out though.

If I remember correctly, games designed for the enjoyment of younger audiences use a combination of Hiragana and Katakana. It wouldn't surprise if both are in there, though I have to agree, the picture is a bit on the blurry side which does make it hard to see what the letters are. Especially with the blinding light crack in the middle making it harder to see the letters.

If I remember correctly, games designed for the enjoyment of younger audiences use a combination of Hiragana and Katakana. It wouldn't surprise if both are in there, though I have to agree, the picture is a bit on the blurry side which does make it hard to see what the letters are. Especially with the blinding light crack in the middle making it harder to see the letters.

Especially 5 lines down, first on the left. It's hard to tell if that's an awkwardly drawn ’ã“’ or a 'ニ'. This was taken on a 3DS capture card, right? So it's the best possible quality we can get at this current time?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.