Official GTA V Discussion

Conker

Did you get it yet? If so, are you enjoying it? I am in love with this game, that's for sure.

Also, lol, at the midnight release, I just straight-up bought the game, but still got the pre-order bonus. Not sure what's up with that.

Meh, the concept of flying a blimp seems boring as all hell, if I'm going to be honest; they should have come up with something else for the bonus.

I love the game, I am enjoying it, and exploring/playing out the exciting missions. Kudos to the fine people at Rockstar. 

However, I got nothing with my pre-order bonus, though that 'intense' blimp flying action, is nothing I am going to lose enjoyment over. The one thing I started liking straight away was the size and dynamics of the world, so far the world building has been outstanding, as well as the character development.

I can't wait to play through the whole 60 hours (or so I've been told.) and explore further.

I give it a 9/10 - while it has flaws, it appears to be excellent in every other department, I like the return to the old style of GTA.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be that guy, but I've played it for a few hours today and well.... It was okay.

It's a clear step up from IV, but it still feels like the same old "drive here, shoot this, chase that" gameplay. I know that's the point, which is cool and all, but I just don't understand the hype over this game.

On a positive note, the story is interesting enough to keep me playing and the world has a lot of attention to detail.

I also particularly enjoyed a mission involving weed and a bad trip and fighting off aliens, that was very funny.

But yeah, in my opinion, it's not this huge 9/10 everyone's hyping it up to be, *it just evokes the older GTA games rather than GTAIV. (Given that IV was the first one I played, I guess the nostalgia thing isn't really doing anything.)

This may be taken badly, but in this genre, a game I prefer is Sleeping Dogs. Sure it's not as large and is a little bit rusty around the edges, but it had a level of depth to it that I'm just not getting from GTA.

Aaaaaand, that's my two cents.

xoxo

*From what all of my friends are telling me when I've expressed my opinion

• Like 1

I'm gonna be that guy, but I've played it for a few hours today and well.... It was okay.

It's a clear step up from IV, but it still feels like the same old "drive here, shoot this, chase that" gameplay. I know that's the point, which is cool and all, but I just don't understand the hype over this game.

On a positive note, the story is interesting enough to keep me playing and the world has a lot of attention to detail.

I also particularly enjoyed a mission involving weed and a bad trip and fighting off aliens, that was very funny.

But yeah, in my opinion, it's not this huge 9/10 everyone's hyping it up to be, *it just evokes the older GTA games rather than GTAIV. (Given that IV was the first one I played, I guess the nostalgia thing isn't really doing anything.)

This may be taken badly, but in this genre, a game I prefer is Sleeping Dogs. Sure it's not as large and is a little bit rusty around the edges, but it had a level of depth to it that I'm just not getting from GTA.

Aaaaaand, that's my two cents.

xoxo

*From what all of my friends are telling me when I've expressed my opinion

I agree with you 100% on this, very solid gta game but its no 9/10 imo.

but it still feels like the same old "drive here, shoot this, chase that" gameplay.

That's... pretty much what almost every game in this genre is. Including Sleeping Dogs (except with the occasional "drive here, punch this, chase that" gameplay for it). And to top it off, that's not even everything there is to do in this game (activities in story missions included), which makes me feel inclined to tell you that your opinion was formed prematurely. Whether it's a mission, or a side activity, there's way more to do than just shooting up thugs. :|

Seeing as you've only played for a few hours (and judging by your post), you haven't even seen a fraction of what the game has to offer.

I agree with you 100% on this, very solid gta game but its no 9/10 imo.

You play a small percentage of it, too? That'd explain why you agree 100%, seeing as you too are unaware that it's more than a shoot-fest.

EDIT:

Wording for my response to LastWWolf's post bugged me. Fixed.

I'll agree with anyone saying it's better than IV, I absolutely can't deny that. But I've clocked about 10 hours on it and I can certainly base an opinion on that time. Like I said before, the story is interesting enough to keep me playing (and unlike IV, I actually care about the story, rather than just wanting to rack up 5 stars and steal a helicopter or something), so I'm not completely bashing it. I just don't think it warrants all the hype around it.

Also, I just got killed by a Cougar. Damn.

I've played a good amount myself and have seen a shit ton more from my roommate whos like 20 hours in already. I will still say I don't agree with all the 9 and 10's but remember its my opinion. Its a huge step up from pretty much all the other gta games, seeing as I should have explained myself a little further its by no means a shoot fest, and they really did pack allot of other optional stuff in there, I most certainly wasn't unaware of what there is to do. At the end of the day the GTA franchise has never appealed to me like it has to most.

(Oh boy, here we go... because I always have to, apparently: not trying to be a dick, yada yada)

Why is it whenever I have an opinion on here, and someone disagrees with it, then I disagree with THEIRS, I am responded to as if I treated theirs like it was meaningless? All of you people here really need to stop doing that, seriously.

I know it's your opinion. You don't need to drill it into my damn head with each following reply (if I didn't put this here, and still posted the following stuff, I know it'd happen again; may still, even though I just said I am already aware).

I just said I thought the opinion was formed prematurely (not talking down on it in any way, just thought it came too soon).

And can you blame me? What am I supposed to think when the game is basically summarized as the same old "drive, shoot, chase" when it clearly isn't? I mean, there's tons more variety than that, even in the story missions.

Top it off with mentioning how the game was only played for a few (when I see "few hours", I think three or four) hours, it makes me think a solid opinion was not formed at all.

If you guys do not want me arguing your opinions, please be more specific. And again, as a final reminder, me disagreeing with your opinions isn't me trying to be the Opinion Nazi I am so undeservedly considered to be around here.

Sorry if that's not what you two were doing, but that's exactly what I saw it as.

My bad, dude. I didn't mean to come across that way. All I'm trying to do is put across what I deem to be a reasonably well formulated opinion based on what I've seen so far. I'm really not disputing that it's a good game, because it is - it's great. It's pretty hard to keep me playing a game for 10 hours on the first day, haha.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it deserves the massive hype that surrounds it, because at the end of the day, it's same old, same old (as I see it.)

As you said, these are just different opinions, I just thought it would be interesting to share my (possibly controversial) one.

• Like 1

By all means, share it. I was just afraid you thought it was nothing more than what you described it as (drive, shoot, chase). :S

And yeah, I agree: it WAS overhyped, that's for sure. However, it's still a 9/10 game for me (wish I could give it a 10, but driving is a fucking chore in street races, and I am not happy with the return of button combination cheats).

Anyways, glad you like it enough to be hooked; the story is amazing.

Anyways, anyone want to add me on PSN? Maybe we can play together when the online portion is released. PSN is in signature/profile.

I'm going to be completely honest with you here broheim, you did more or less dismiss other opinions out of hand. The way you phrased it made it seem like anyone who has played more than 5-10 hours couldn't possibly disagree with the review scores that it's been given. Having said that, it's not always easy to see how other people could interpret what you say at first thought, so don't take it too heavily to heart, yeah? Best to read out a post to yourself before you post, I find that changing the context to verbal gives a good indication of how it sounds. Imagine it's being said to you and all that.

I don't actually have anything to contribute to how I feel about it, as I haven't really picked up any GTA titles properly since III, so I'm going to leave my post at that. Play nice, guys :3

Again, I thought it was formed prematurely, wasn't dismissing it. And yes, GTA games are (in my opinion) games you need to play for more than a few hours to form a solid opinion on (as far as I knew, no more than maybe three, four, five or whatever was played).

There's too much in them you can and will miss if you don't. Doesn't mean I'll dismiss the opinion, I'll just think it was formed prematurely.

Anyways, sorry my post came off as it did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.