Waterbox problems

JAMESWHITE89

Question

Hi all im having a little problem with placing waterboxes in my custom dungeon.

I place the waterboxes (4 of them)as normal using x y z cordinates, tested in game but  only the water box that is in my first room is showing up. at the moment my dungeon currently has 10 rooms and i need water boxes in at least two of other rooms. Am i doing something wrong or is it connected to the transitions or something.. i also wondered if maybe i had to change the waterboxes properties to get them to show in other rooms? any help please? its frustrating lol

9 answers to this question

DeathBasket posted a solution for waterboxes here:

https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/675-sharpocarina-zelda-oot-scene-development-system/page-4?do=findComment&comment=11155

Although Sharp Ocarina has space for entering 8 digits in waterbox properties, it won't accept values higher than 4 bytes (u16), thus the ones required to define the room.

That value could be entered directly using a hex editor, but it's a bit of a hassle having to fix that every time you make any change to your scene.

Strati: Thanks, iv read through it but it dosnt make much sense to me im not really sure what he means.. sorry im a bit crap at the coding side of things iv only just worked out how to make doors open via switches and lighting torches XD.. how would i go about making these changes to my rom in a hex editor? The rooms that need waterboxes are 0, 3 and 8, 8 has two. I would really love to fix this and finish up on this dunegon

SanguinettiMods: so i would load up say my rooms 1, 3 and 8 in hyliantool box seperatley, add waterboxes.. then would i be able to put it back into sharp ocarina afterwards? or is this something im gonna have to do last minute after iv finished with the actors and objects for my room? I know that this can be done in hylian tool box but its interface kinda scares me atm lol.

Sorry im so thick about this stuff

*chokes inner orthography nazi*

I'll try to do a step by step:

Change your last 4 digits in each waterbox's properties in Sharp Ocarina to something like EEEE or AAAA. Give each a different one, for identification.

Once you inject your scene, open your ROM in the hex editor and go to the the address 2D00000 (unless you changed the standard injection address);

There, look for a sequence like 03000000 02nnnnnn. Once you find it, take the nnnnnn part and add it to the starting address. E.g. if your nnnnnn = 000208, you should add it to 2D00000, getting the new address of 2D00208;

Once at this new address, you should find a list in this format. As you have 4 waterboxes, you should find something like 00040000 02mmmmmm nearby. Take the mmmmmm and do the same process as earlier: add mmmmmm to 2D000000 and go to this new resulting address;

When there, you should notice - a few digits later - those waterbox properties values I told you to write earlier. Let's say your first water box was changed to 0000AAAA and you want that in room 8.

Open your calculator, change it to hex mode and left shift the room number by 5. 8 will give you 100. Put 00 at the end of it - 10000 - and overwrite that 0000AAAA with 00010000.

The standard waterbox "properties" is 00000100. If I'm right, that 1 is related to environments and you must add that 100 to your result, getting 00010100 as your final properties value.

Room values up to 7 can be written directly into Sharp Ocarina, since the left shift will fit inside 4 bytes and the program will accept it without vomiting an error message.

That should do it. Good luck.

I would just stay away from SharpOcarina entirely if I were you. The newest version that will soon come out is going to be much easier to use, as most of the work is actually done in whatever modeling program you're using instead of the actual converting program. There will be detailed tutorials explaining how to use it's features. Until this happens, though, you can just use a Hex Editor to fix Waterboxes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.