Problems porting music with InstEd

HeavyZ

Question

The only thing I've done is change the instrument set for the Ice Cavern before porting the song in, and porting 2 new other songs that I have for my project into the rom labeled "Rebirth"

They all share the same instrument set 0x1A but that isn't the problem, I believe it's specifically doing this because I ported the new song into Lake Hylia, I assigned Lake Hylia's music sequence to "03" the only other song besides Lake Hylia's that I've already ported into that rom was the one in Hyrule Field

Edited:

This isn't the first time I've had this problem, this has happened when I tried to port music into different sequences with my old rom that has all of my progress on it since I started the project. Because of that I thought I had to start on a new rom because I did something wrong, like port the same zseq, or zset files into the rom too many times when something went wrong, or when I needed to fix something. I thought I just used up too much space before, but that is not this case with this rom here, and I know now that it is not the case with my old one.

The whole reason I started my project was because I wanted to port new music into each area, or "sequence" of the game, if I can't do that then everything I've done was for nothing..

12 answers to this question

Did you replace instrument set 0x1A already? Are you sure you had the sequence set up to use that set? The video only shows you importing a sequence (compared to the second time where you imported both sequence and instrument set) so I don't know what else you did before that. It just seems that you've got the wrong instrument set or instrument numbers.

No before hand I had it set to instrument set 0x1A. The other rom that had the different instrument set was a clean rom. I used the same sequence music value both times. I know I've done everything right, I've even went back and tried doing it differently multiple times just in case, as I have before when this problem has occurred in the past.

I know for a fact that the problem isn't either of those things. It's because I've ported a song into music sequence value "03" I set that for Lake Hylia's music Value before through hex, then ported a song into it. the only other song that was ported into the Rebirth rom was one into Hyrule Field, and I don't expect that is the problem, because that was always the first sequence I ported a song into, and problems only happened after porting songs into other sequences not just the 03 music value. It's weird because I think sometimes it depends on what order of sequences you port into the game them on whether or not they will work being all ported into the same rom

Edited:

If it would help, I can send you all of the files I've been using, roms, everything in my InstEd folder that has everything in it that I use for it, midi's everything.

Or I could make another video, and show some more examples showing the before part better.

What I do is look at the debug ROM scene listing: http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Zelda_64_Scene_Listings:_Debug_ROM

I jump to whatever address the scene I want to replace the music in via a hex editor and look for 150200 (usually that's what it is I believe). After 15 it can be any other number though, not just 02, I'm just throwing it out as an example. But your audio header will always begin with 15.

81210B2F 1111 is the gameshark code to enable to audio debugger. Using your R button, go over to the page that says Block Change BGM and then use your + pad to select a track and press the A button to play. VERY VERY useful :)

Thanks Tommy! I forgot about that page, and I must be doing something wrong because I tried using R, +, and A when in Audio Debugger mode and I could not select anything. I had just learned how to find the music command in the scene header a few days ago, but I wasn't sure if there was a way to do it in Nemu or not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok in Audio Debugger mode I tested to see if it played music from other sequences like 02, 03, 04.. ect and they played. It was set at a default of 00, when I changed it to 58 and tested it nothing played, I tried changing the instrument sets and testing it with different ones.. still no change. I knew it wasn't the instrument set, but I tested anyways.

I could send the rom with the 3 songs ported in it the one not working out of the 3 being the Ice Cavern. I can send all of the files used to import the midi itself as well, or any other thing needed.

Honestly I think it is not possible to replace all of the songs in the game.

Edited:

Sorry if I've been coming off as an ass of sorts.. I don't know if I have, but I kinda feel like it, and I'm not trying to come off that way. I just really don't want to give up on my project.

I don't know how to find scene headers but I can look into it later and post results.

Aha, you're using midi, I was looking for you to say that in one of your earlier posts. Well, the sad fact is that sometimes they don't work. I have a few cues I really wanted to import but for some reason when they are converted and played in the game, they play nothing at all, no matter what instrument set is used. I don't know why this is. So here's a tip, create a copy of your ROM and then convert whatever you want to use to a zseq file and then overwrite sequence #2, Hyrule Field. Boot up the game and put yourself in Hyrule Field. If it plays, then go on ahead with making a new instrument list. If not, you might need to find a new file with the same music. Until we can get DeathBasket to offer us a solution to this, then this is all we can do for now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.