InstEd and 3MLE2 Tutorial for Importing Music

Airikita

Here's a tutorial I made for using 3MLE2 with InstEd to import mid music to Zelda 64:

(I know I fumbled a lot, but generally I suck at tutorial videos)

Deathbasket's InstEd: https://sites.google.com/site/deathbasketslair/programming/ocarina-of-time-instrument-set-editor-oot-instedInstrument lists:https://sites.google.com/site/deathbasketslair/zelda/ocarina-of-time/instrument-listshttps://sites.google.com/site/deathbasketslair/zelda/ocarina-of-time/instrument-sets-and-sequences3MLE2: https://www.the-gcn.com/files/file/66-3ml-editor-mid-music-editor/-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I also forgot to mention that you need to change the music instrument set after you select your instrument set... I should've changed the set from 06 to 03, which is mentioned in deathbasket's instrument set list.

You can even extend the Audioseq file and add your own music (which I did not show in this tutorial) by changing the offset and size of the selected music placement.

More info here: https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/2369-audioseq-and-code-notes-debug/

EDIT:

Watch this follow up to get a better idea on how to use the instrument sets:

Also: DO NOT crop the sequence I did without changing the last byte to FF, it's generally a bad idea in the first place.

• 9 months later...

Strange. I get an I/O error when trying to use the Zelda Sequence Converter. :/

Is an external player using the MIDI sound file? Do you have your MIDI open in a Windows Media Player application or something similar? In my case of Windows 2000, I also have a mini Windows Media Player bar in explorer so if I even have it selected in Explorer, it will produce an error. Close anything that is using the file completely and it should work. In my case when I download a MIDI, I listen to it after I download it and if you're doing the same and not closing the player, that's more than likely your problem.

In a nutshell, the file cannot be in use by anything or you will run into problems. I dunno why, but that's what it is.

I'm no idiot. I know that. :) I'm a computer tech and I always know to check that stuff. I fixed it though. It seems that in order to fully use this program in Windows 7 64-bit, you have to change the compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Also, not sure if it helps but I do it just in case because windows is stupid sometimes, but enable Administrative Privileges.

Hahah, I probably should have mentioned that. My fault. xD Thanks for the help anyways though. :D

(Also, good to see another computer tech here.)

Not a problem! I know I've been using InstEd for quite some time so I kind of know the bugs and workarounds as well. I usually try to thoroughly explain myself because I know sometimes I can get a little technical and whatever I say flies over someone's head so I usually write the 'for dummies' version of things if you get the idea. XD I'm actually getting really good at using InstEd and porting over music. Sure beats the hell out of mml/z64_zseq!

And yes, certified computer tech since 2006 :)

It seems that in order to fully use this program in Windows 7 64-bit, you have to change the compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Also, not sure if it helps but I do it just in case because windows is stupid sometimes, but enable Administrative Privileges.

??

I use Windows 7 64-bit and I have never had any issues with the program on the two computers I've used it on. It seems weird that you would need to do that.

??

I use Windows 7 64-bit and I have never had any issues with the program on the two computers I've used it on. It seems weird that you would need to do that.

Well, I kept getting an I/O error until I did that. No other conflict was happening. I was puzzled as to what I was doing wrong. I restarted the program several times, made sure all media players were closed, etc. It wasn't until I did what I did that I was able to use the Sequence Builder portion or the program. I don't know why it did that to me and not to you, but whatever. At least it's working now. Excellent program, DeathBasket. :)

Question though, DeathBasket. Where is the Timpani in InstEd?

Not a problem! I know I've been using InstEd for quite some time so I kind of know the bugs and workarounds as well. I usually try to thoroughly explain myself because I know sometimes I can get a little technical and whatever I say flies over someone's head so I usually write the 'for dummies' version of things if you get the idea. XD I'm actually getting really good at using InstEd and porting over music. Sure beats the hell out of mml/z64_zseq!

And yes, certified computer tech since 2006 :)

I completely understand you there. I always got told by my friends that I was a bit too "wordy" with my conversations. So I have learned the habit of not saying everything unless asked. :)

I am (technically) not certified, as I have not gotten any certification, but I was trained by a fantastically talented and licensed computer tech. I got my knowledge for free. ;)

Question though, DeathBasket. Where is the Timpani in InstEd?

I don't think it's actually in the program itself, but you can get to it if you have the Hyrule Field percussion map enabled, but the notes need to be between 20-3F in order to work. You can change those in a text editor. It's not the solution I really want at the time either but at least I figured out how to do it.

Well, you see, it's because I made this: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/92mh3qy0s14w44t/Treacherous+Fortress.mp3
I sat down and opened up the original on Youtube, listened to the different notes, wrote them into my MIDI composer, added a few extra parts to make it sound a bit more "new", and this is the result. I wanted to have a song that acts as a throwback of sorts but with a new flavor. EVERYTHING is set up so it is within the boundaries. But when I went to set up my ZSET, I couldn't find the Timpani which is kind of important to give the song that "booming with danger" sound. (If you get what I mean)

• Like 1

I don't believe that there's proper documentation of percussion maps and since I had a member ask me about it, I've decided to release a very rough crash course in how to work percussion maps more to your favor. I can't guarantee great results, but they should be good enough if you don't want to create a special instrument set with percussion instruments in them.

How to use percussion sets

First of all, this page (and site actually) is your friend: https://sites.google...nstrument-lists

About 2/3s of the way down, you'll see the percussion maps. Notice how Timpani is 21-3F on Hyrule Field's percussion map? Take note of that.

So, when you convert your MIDI into text, find the instrument you want as a timpani. So take this example.

gate 4
note 0x19 0x28 0x00000060
rest 0x00000060
note 0x1C 0x28 0x00000060
rest 0x00000060
note 0x1D 0x28 0x00000060

What you're gonna want to do is the first number by the note, change it to the timpani range. So you'll change it to this.

gate 4
note 0x29 0x28 0x00000060
rest 0x00000060
note 0x2C 0x28 0x00000060
rest 0x00000060
note 0x2D 0x28 0x00000060

If I'm correct, I believe that's the low timpani range so if you want a deep sound, you'd use the 20 range. If you want the higher timpani, you'd want to use the 30 range. So you'd end up with this.

gate 4
note 0x39 0x28 0x00000060
rest 0x00000060
note 0x3C 0x28 0x00000060
rest 0x00000060
note 0x3D 0x28 0x00000060

I hope this helps someone out. If anyone has find I made a mistake, please feel free to tell me but I'm pretty sure that my information is at least somewhat accurate.

I can't remember specifically but you can usually transpose timpani 1-2 octaves above the sound you want (in your MIDI editor or using the trsp(?) command in InstEd's text files) and then use a percussion set that contains them as the instrument. There was never a standalone timpani instrument in OoT unfortunately.

• Like 1

There was never a standalone timpani instrument in OoT unfortunately.

Thanks for the information, DeathBasket. I also wondered why it was never in InstEd as a standalone instrument but now that I'm getting the hang of how percussion maps actually work, I don't mind doing a little extra work and relying on the drum kit to play it for me. Now if only we could figure out how to import instruments from Twilight Princess to OoT :ph34r:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.