4 Player OOT hack on real hardware? is it possible?

HeavyZ

Question

Is it possible to make the 4 player Zelda hack compatible with real N64 hardware via flash cart?

It's something I always wanted to play on my N64 but can't. Maybe someone can shed some light on the matter, and maybe I could even do this with other hacks?

If possible I wouldn't release any hacks I made N64 compatible, not without the original creator of the hacks permision. This would be to enjoy at the comfort of my home.

16 answers to this question

It could be played on a flashcart.

HOWEVER OOT Four Swords cannot be completed without the use of a cheat device, so you could need a gameshark to play it completelyas well

Oh so is that why the game crashes when I try to boot it up? I know that some cheats can be put into the actual rom with a hex editor. Would it be possible to do that with the cheat? Who made the hack anyways? I've looked it up and couldn't find out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t89kerkedc6t6c6 I downloaded it from here.

Why can't it be completed without codes? O.o

Because players 2,3 and 4 cannot go through doors and you cannot use a shield without cheats.

It could be played on a flashcart.

HOWEVER OOT Four Swords cannot be completed without the use of a cheat device, so you could need a gameshark to play it completelyas well

Oh so is that why the game crashes when I try to boot it up? I know that some cheats can be put into the actual rom with a hex editor. Would it be possible to do that with the cheat? Who made the hack anyways? I've looked it up and couldn't find out.

Spinout made the hack, and yeah that should be possible

Spinout made it a long time ago just to prove it was possible. But it would need some reprogramming to fix some things. (Like the doors) 

Why wouldn't editing the cheat codes into the rom be enough? Since I've became a member at the GCN I haven't seen Spinout here a lot, and I'm guessing it will be a while before he reply's to my message.

While I do understand there is interest in this hack, it is not at all practical in it's current configuration. OoT was designed to have one screen, one link actor. Anything else brings up undefined behavior - look at the action button in any 4 player OoT video. That being said, good luck to anyone and everyone who works with the hack I made.

Yeah this seems like a job too big for me. With what Spinout has said here along with what he told me in a message it is possible, but it would take more work than just adding in a cheat code into the rom. This would take someone who can understand MIPS Assembly, and I wouldn't even know where to begin with giving it a split screen, or up to four (I didn't think about that to begin with ._. )  The split screen part may be impossible. I'm new to the whole hacking scene though so I can't say.

This is what Spinout said in the message.

"The multiplayer hack probably doesn't work with the console because I don't respect the MIPS calling convention and the MIPS pipeline; i.e. I cut corners when I wrote the assembly code in the hack. One would have to disassemble and reassemble link's actor (completely possible!) with the 4 player code written out in PROPER MIPS r4300 specifications."

While I do understand there is interest in this hack, it is not at all practical in it's current configuration. OoT was designed to have one screen, one link actor. Anything else brings up undefined behavior - look at the action button in any 4 player OoT video. That being said, good luck to anyone and everyone who works with the hack I made.

I don't mind one screen stuff. However I am sure making puzzles designed for two players could be interesting. I really think this hack should evolve a bit more so it can be playable.

Sakon's Hideout was fun and that idea can expand.

A four swords style hack could be made, though it would be more reasonable to make it for online gaming.

I would prefer two players really. Having four actors lags too much and it's annoying when they fall though the map.

Oh snap, I may look into combining the hacks myself, and making it real hardware compatible after I'm done with my project. Of course I would need help from Spinout, and someone who is willing to do the Assembly part. I would throw in some multiplayer puzzles, and make it a whole new hack.

Could someone provide a source for cens split screen hack?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.