Dropped Ideas/Beta/Glitch Fixing Process

giadrosich

I thought people might be interested in seeing the thought process, dropped ideas, and beta screenshots of the game during it's development time. We all like stuff like this, and now that the game is released, well...it's nice to have a little archive in one post, rather than shifting through the main thread. There's also stuff not talked about on this forum either.

First, let's go over the beta stuff that I have in screenshot form.

Ingo was originally in the game.

lonlon1_zps798c6186.png

Here's his original text and how it fit into the story:

Ingo Original Text

"Welcome to Ingo Ranch, where we train the wildest horses to be your helper! My horses are amazing! Humanely caught right from our own Hyrule Field, I've raised them to be as gentle and loving as can be. I'm still working on the wildest of them, a Haflinger! Talon didn't know how to raise these horses like I do. Talon took over the ranch from a man named Xex, but he didn't know how to raise horses either! However, I can raise fine breeds. I will raise that red horse and win recognition from the great Ganondorf! Say, young man, do you want to ride one of my fine horses?"

However, during the course of the game, I had the idea that I might be able to let players choose between Epona, or the other horse (which I dubbed Brownie). I couldn't get to this idea in time, or figure out how to get it to work, as I didn't know at the time the brown horse had another object in the area that had to be loaded. So Ingo is sort of shoved off into one corner of the Lon Lon Ranch map.

The broken Door of Time looked really crappy.

brokendoor_zps7d947ba0.png

Some of you might remember this, as it was posted somewhere else on the forums, but it was lovingly pointed out that yes, this looks really bad. As if Ganondorf didn't want to break the door, but placed it gently to the side. So, it was changed to the current form, using Ganon rubble from the final battle.

Different way of accessing Forest Temple.

foresttemple_zpsd6e103c8.png

Before I had worked out exactly how dungeon flags worked, I had put up these to block the way and indicate the hammer had to be used. However, they caused a door to become unlocked in the temple, and I wasn't sure how to change it at the time, so I turned the regular switch into a rusted switch to still have the same hammer usage, but to not mess with the flags that way, as I was only changing the type of switch. I think it looks better with the rusted switch, it doesn't stand out as much and fits better with the theme.

Black Blocks in Dampe's Grave.

dampegrave_zpscd497c2f.png

My original idea was to have Adult Link have to push blocks out of the way. Since he can't push blocks without Goron Bracelet, this would prevent access to Dampe easily. However, the blocks were very glitchy and hard to place, so I then changed it to a boulder/bomb flower mix outside of the grave.

There was a lot more dumb dialogue.

templeoftime_zps50c8af4b.png

Voyager (before it was called Voyager) was originally going to be a straight comedy text edit. You can still tell in the earlier Kokiri Forest dialogue with Saria's "Google!" and the Deku Tree Sprout saying "this dost sucketh". Those were too funny to me to get rid of. Same with the signs in the area.

Tunic colours were updated.

tuniccolours_zpsce6a931d.png

Thanks to Spire, we got some new hip colours, and everyone LOVES the purple tunic. Very fashionable all around.

Things don't always work.

forestadult2_zps69528d38.png

I wanted to put something in Link's house that would be a prize after getting golden gauntlets. You can actually still see the rock before the Forest Temple is cleared out, but it disappears after the temple completion, due to it being in the object set that changes. The cutscene was always very glitchy anyway, and so it was cut.

gohma_zps354452c6.png

I had fire. I don't know where it went, it disappeared in one of the edits I did, and I didn't notice until too late.

Progression shots.

block_zps94fb3661.png

Had just imported and straightened the block puzzles.

templeprogression_zps636df802.png

This is another example of taking the existing puzzles and just sort of shifting them a bit. Everyone who has played the original room knows the two levels of the room, so this sort of adds in a "what do I do?" puzzle to it. It's not hard, but I think it's just enough to trip some people up. My puzzles and temple flows really go off of the familiarity of the temples, taking what people know, and then skewing it just enough to make it interesting.

finally_zpsdac4ef81.png

Finally managed to get Jason's program working for me. I rejoiced and partied with a Zoras, cows, a dog, and a Goron.

http://puu.sh/2yxi0

The bottle I had at the original spot, but shoved down a bit. With effort, you could grab it, so I actually moved it to the far side of the map so you'd be forced to get it in the spot I chose in the Water Temple.

Now, for things that don't have pictures.

The grottos were going to have a warp system. I was saddened by the fact that Serenade of Water was never learned, due to Shiek's coding checking for Iron Boots in the Ice Cavern, so I wanted to use the grottos as a warp system around the field. I changed the hole near Kakariko Village to impliment this, but I seriously messed up the grottos and couldn't figure out what I did or how to fix it. So, many of them changed to the hole you get your sword at. I realized I was messing with stuff I didn't know about, so I didn't even touch it after that.

This is all I can think of at the moment, but I do plan to update this in the future of things I find/thought about doing.

Hope you guys enjoyed this little window into Voyager during development.

• Like 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.