Voyager of Time [COMPLETE]

giadrosich

Updated: 5/1/2013

Release Date: May 1, 2013

Teaser Trailer:

Trailer 2:

How To Patch Guide:

Finalized Release Trailer:

Official GCN download (patched rom CRC fix): http://www.the-gcn.com/files/file/61-voyager-of-time/

French Version Download: TBA

British English Translation: TBA

Music Patch Release: TBA

This thread shows the process of completion for the Legend of Zelda: Voyager of Time

VOT2_zps6d402d56.png

(New logo by: AnimatixReels)

Official Website: http://voyageroftime.the-gcn.com

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VoyagerOfTime

Release Download: 

Official GCN download (patched rom CRC fix): http://www.the-gcn.com/files/file/61-voyager-of-time/

The Music of VoT: JamesAndrewHarris and AnimatixReels

About the Mod:

Voyager of Time takes place after Majora's Mask, but it is not a direct sequel. Link has come back to the Kokiri Forest to try​ and find peace after his last adventure. It is implied that he has had a third adventure in Termina but with the fairy Tael instead of Tatl. The younger brother of the feisty Tatl is a bit more subdued, but also more brave than what we've seen in Majora's Mask. He can hold his own and he and Link have grown to be great friends.

​

The game starts out with Link having nightmares of his past adventures. The Deku Tree Sprout, descendant of the Great Deku Tree has summoned Link because he has sensed great evil growing lately. Link is sent on a quest to help out with the growing problems in Hyrule.

​

Along the way, you find that the Door of Time has been broken again by the evil villain, Ganondorf, and you must find a way to stop his rampage once more. There's some twists and turns along the way, as Link's items are spread out in an unfamiliar way. Link also has to face some major problems that hit a little too close to home.

​

The game features heavy time travel as well as side stories that highlight the problems with time traveling in general. Many places are transformed over the period of seven years that Ganondorf was in rule, and Link has to deal with the problems​ of his closest friends. On top of that, there may be another problem Link and his friends don't realize until it's too late...

The overworld is changed quite a lot from the original Ocarina of Time. There is an attempt to make each village and section of the map seem more lively and have more character than ever before. NPCs are useful to talk to, and they give hints to the world around you. There are small stories they tell you of history, and even new sidequests you can accept.

​

The biggest change is the difference between the child and adult sections. The child sections are meant to feel more innocent and alive, and the adult sections are meant to showcase the utter destruction of Ganondorf. This is not to be intentionally dark, but just to show a realistic change that would happen over seven years.

Technical side of things:

I don't have any sort of skills with modding the actual maps, and I have basic skills in actor replacement (using ZAP2/SayakaGL). I use OOT Text Tool and XVI32 heavily for this mod. Almost everything text-wise will be changed, gossip stones, signs, anything you can think of. It'll be really fun to go through and see the new changes if you know the regular OOT text by heart.

This really is an experiment to see how much one can change in a rom with very basic beginner knowledge (to prove that we can make a good mod to the best of our abilities), and also try and make it a good mod without falling onto the beginner trap of making it "kaizo zelda". I've gotten a lot of help from the GCN community in general, and the mod wouldn't be what it is today without the help of the fine talent on here. This mod isn't really going for challenging battles or anything like that--It's going for more puzzle and story-based gameplay.

There will be very minor edits to the dungeons, but most of the edit to the game will be the route you take. It's a very different route from what you might be used to, so you'll be sure to use your thinking cap on where to go! I'm hoping to take the familiar and turn it into something new and fresh again for people who've played the same old OOT for years and years.

What to Expect:

• New storyline
  • New sidequests and sidestories about NPCS (and NPCs are more helpful with hints)
  • Huge emphasis on time travel (I mean it!)
  • Actual use of money in the story
  • Dungeon order will be different (and perhaps new puzzles here and there--nothing too major)
  • Massive overworld update with more lively "enivironments"
  • New way of getting Epona!
  • Certain items not restricted to just child/adult!
  • Tael joins you instead of Navi

Screenshots (subject to change):

text3_zps3bb1a8d0.png

YES_zpsb0588e80.png

kokiri2_zpsd908b7ca.png

kakariko4_zps0ac539fd.png

Custom Music for Temples:

AnimatixReels and JamesAndrewHarris are working on custom music. The music will be released later on in a new patch, due to some of it needing to be fixed up. I will make an announcement when this happens.

Thanks so far to: SanguinetiiMods, Sakura, Three_Pendants, ShadowFire, and really all of GCN for supporting this project to get it complete. Thanks to my testers who will be revealed at time of launch to avoid them being contacted and bugged for the rom.

To Speedrunners:

I've attempted to put in some anti-sequence breaking into this mod. I'm always excited to see what new stuff folks can find, so I'd like to officially challenge people to speedrun this game. I'll go ahead and let you know that the game now checks for all six medallions, but there might be a few surprises in there that you don't know about. I really would love to see a new route out of this. No bottle adventure please, that's kind of boring.

If you find new breaks, post 'em! I'd like to see a way to get past the stuff I've put up, that's what OOT running is all about--finding those new tricks!

• Like 15

I'm sorry, I had no idea you had a fanfic of that! I hope you don't think I stole the idea or anything, it really was the first thing to pop into mind while thinking of a legit story based around the same characters and events. :/

Anyway, the horse herd worked out great in the field and they only appear as Child Link (hopefully) as planned, so I was able to edit some of Ingo's dialogue to fit in with that side-plot:

lonlon1_zps798c6186.png

And yes, Ingo is lying.

EDIT UPDATE:

I also restored the Goron's little shuffle when you have the goron bracelet. :D It was freakin' simple, just move the actor to the middle of the waypoint!

Added in some new Zora's, but can't change their text, so they have twins floating around...

newzora_zps15d5413f.png

I'm also re-doing the entire gold skulltulla locations, and trying to find some pretty devious spots for them. You'll have to hunt low and high for these babies. (The ones shown are easy, I'm not going to show the hard ones!) I will release a location guide in case you get stuck though, so no problems there.

deku1_zps907ec923.png

It's the Deku Tree, don't want to make it too terrible...

kakariko2_zpsba9949b9.png

I just realized this guy wasn't centered, I'll have to fix that or my OCD won't let me sleep...

My horse herd work now too:

• Like 1

Update 2/18/2013

Got a semi-permanent working title of Voyager of Time. Updated the overall storyline in the first post to be more accurate to the vision of the mod now.

Summary: The Door of Time is broken from Ganondorf's release and you must gain your items back in a different way than the usual route. This mod will rely heavily on the Temple of Time and changing back and forth from adult to child when you need to.

New pictures:

adult2_zpsa83a335a.png

Hookshot early!

funkyroom_zps58b83860.png

I need to incorporate this weird room somehow...

dooroftime_zps29cd84e6.png

Broken Door of Time (in it's less shitty form) Used ganon rubble at the idea of Pendants)

Got some more stuff done today, mainly concentrating on putting an unexpected route through dungeons and such. The focus is going to be getting items, and having to use them as either adult or child.

I don't want to give it all away, but as an example:

I'll be having you go visit Darunia. Well, turns out all the bomb flowers have died and there's no way to open up Dodongo's Cavern. A few hints later, you go forward in time where you find your bomb bags, go back and then finish up the cavern, getting another item that you either can or can't use.

So pretty much my dungeon modifications are done with, and now it is solely text work.

New picture!

foresttemple_zpsd6e103c8.png

Hmm...how are we gonna get in?

I'm sorry, I had no idea you had a fanfic of that! I hope you don't think I stole the idea or anything, it really was the first thing to pop into mind while thinking of a legit story based around the same characters and events. :/

Nah, I don't think so... It's hardly an original idea. I just wanted to poke fun. Still, if you need any help with text, such as grammar, punctuation, or just coming up with awesome words, I can render my aid. :3

• Like 1

Man, I can´t wait to play this. This is what Master Quest should have been. (No it was not supposed to be URA...)

I wouldn't go THAT far--I can't even change the dungeons around properly, just add a different puzzle here and there.

Nah, I don't think so... It's hardly an original idea. I just wanted to poke fun. Still, if you need any help with text, such as grammar, punctuation, or just coming up with awesome words, I can render my aid. :3

Sure, I'll get in contact with you :) Thanks for the offer!

Picture update!

dampegrave_zpscd497c2f.png

Yep...need something to get in here. Link wonders what too.

dekutree1_zpsd06d6b31.png

Because sometimes you just have to have fun.

templeoftime_zps50c8af4b.png

Sheik explains patiently what his/her purpose is.

funkyshot2_zps48b96fce.png

This was a result of going into the chamber with the sword on the first file. Made me lol.

• Like 3

This looks very promising! Can't wait to see continued progress. From your attitude with this so far, something in that back of my mind tells me that you'll take this mod a step further, like more thorough dungeon editing and possibly even new areas. And i hope that you do, the community would love it! :D

Really awesome breakthrough with the game!

awesome_zpsece37ab5.png

Due to Three_Pendants hard work, I now have the ability to actually go back in time immediately after arriving! Don't have to complete the Forest Temple straight away! Now, I'm just going to post exactly how to do this and what he's said so people can use the knowledge if they need it.

Three_Pendants:

At first I had thought that Shiek was positioned in such a way that you couldn't get the sword back in the pedestal, but that's not the case. There appears to be no shortcut around this other than something that is triggered within the Phantom Ganon Warp. It looks if the Deku Tree Sprout cutscene is not the requirement either. Halfway through the cutscene after you hear about the Fierce War, the Deku Tree Sprout is gone and all of the Deku Baba are in the forest again, so it really must be some trigger through the warp as odd as that is.

Alright, I can tell you that without doubt it is 100% the Phantom Ganon Warp, not possession of the Medallion or the Prelude of Light or the Deku Tree Sprout Cutscene.

The Prelude of Light Cutscene, when initiated legitimately allows you to Drop the Master Sword. The cutscene puts a 0020 into a value that if the value is lower than 20 you cannot Drop the sword. This is the final piece.

And after many hours, it turns out that it is one byte change that allows you to drop the sword!

I was looking for a 0020 that it was checking against but it was not a 0020 it was checking against directly but a Break If Equal to a value that holds nothing and a truncated value which would lead to nothing. So what I did was change this Break If Equal to look at two values that even if one read 00 the other did not. And therefore I worked around it.

To my great surprise this was not outside the game's normal coding but is in the Master Sword actor itself which surprised me greatly. This does mean that it's a dynamic address and will move so I better find this in ROM, eh?

In ROM at C89CD4 - Change 51A00026 to 51A10026

So thank to him, I have the ability to continue with my vision for this mod as planned! Great job and thanks so much!

I was horsing around and...

VoT.png

Course, I could make a better logo if I tried harder.

Oh, goodness that's awesome! It's very shiny! More than I could do if I was just messin' around. XD I like it, but I need it a tiny bit smaller to display at the top if that can be managed. I like that logo though, especially with the time travel emphasis. :)

ranchsmoke_zps78371768.png

Something's going on at the ranch...

Progress update: I've done a lot of text editing and am working fervently on giving good hints for the new route I have planned for the game. I've also gained the knowledge to give child Link an ability to use an adult item, which will make for different type puzzles I can put into a dungeon. My husband and I are working on the dungeons to try and make them interesting, while keeping the spirit of the original Master Quest dungeons. It's difficult to incorporate new stuff when all I can do is replace things instead of add them, but I'm doing my best in that regard.

As for sidequests, I do have a few set up where you can get some nice rewards out of it. One is mandatory, but is not hard, so don't worry. Actually, none of them are really hard...but oh well.

As you can see from the picture above, I do have some new plans for Lon Lon Ranch. Just have to wait and see when you play it what they are. :)

Also this:

This is looking quite promising thus far! I am glad to see you using the Past/Future concept a lot more than OoT manages itself to do so. The darker tone is also a more interesting take on the situation without going way overboard with "darkness".

I'm trying to convey the utter destruction that Ganondorf can have on the land in seven years. It's a long time for the Ranch to go completely untouched, and I was always a bit disappointed there wasn't that much to do there. I'm afraid I don't add much other than a more in-depth side story there, but at least it's shown to be effected by the tyranny of Ganondorf.

I'm also trying my very best to avoid the strong urge of putting annoying enemies everywhere. I'm really trying to avoid enemy replacement as much as possible--I want to make the game enjoyable, not "Kaizo Zelda". I hate games that add fake difficulty that way, and I refuse to do it in my mod.

Progress update:

Ganon decided to up the security a bit in Hyrule field. Another sidequest? Or just decoration?

ganontowers_zps8f306839.png

I need your opinion on this picture below. I couldn't manage to have Zora's under the ice without them disappearing or the ability to speak with them gone. So...this happened. And it turned out a bit funnier (in a horrible sort of way) than I expected. Should it stay in or go out?

darkandfunny_zps0f987dc6.png

Thanks to SanguinettiMods, the shield is now the Hero's Shield from Majora's Mask! He's also going to teach me how to change the "navi" button to "tael" to fit more in-line with the mod.

heroshield_zps935a42b3.png

• Like 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.