A Link to the Past Overworld

Strati

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Project has reached green status.

Maps are mostly detailed now. I'm sick of working at certain regions, so there are a few flowers left to plant over hyrule and some texturing I'm still not quite satisfied with, but that can and will be postponed.

After this point, the work is shifting to be much less GIMP and Blender and a lot more Notepad and Sharp Ocarina. If my judgement is correct, things should advance much faster now that I won't have to dwell into making that many artistic and functional decisions.

I would really like to, but I think I lack the expertise to create them. Coding itself doesn't seem to be the problem, finding all the side-data that is connected to making everything work together is what breaks me.

At least, OoT has a few similar functions within some items I intended to resort to as replacements, like the Fire and Ice Arrow/Rod,  Deku Sticks/Lamp, Cane of Byrna/Nayru's Love, etc.

There's a small idea as to how to implement the Cane of Somaria and the Mirror functions, but I'll definitely would need backup to make the items as players would expect.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a long way ahead to go. I'll probably ask a lot of help to many people when the time comes. I'm just going step by step - I haven't even finsihed the maps yet!

About the doors, it's my fault being lazy at the moment of the post and not caring to check the wiki.

I even put some double doors on Hyrule's Castle - which look way out of place. You would expect something more royal there than standard wooden doors.

By the way, If you want the right camera transition, use variable 01C0 if you are loading a new scene. The usual 0040 is more fit inbetween rooms.

That changes from person to person. I like to focus on something and then be done with it. If I leave something to be finished later, there's a great chance I won't ever do it.Here's me eating my own words:

I'm sick of working at certain regions, so there are a few flowers left to plant over hyrule and some texturing I'm still not quite satisfied with, but that can and will be postponed.

And I can guarantee you my (general) interest is not waning (yet!).

Yeah honestly I can't say how long it would take me to even finish my project, I keep learning new things, or get idea's so I have to learn how to do new things and the project just keeps getting bigger. So if you would like I could just do the music, song by song. I wouldn't even need your rom I would just use a clean debug rom and port music into it with the InstEd. That way once I'm finished with each song it will be ready to port into your rom, because I would have already mapped out the instrument sets for each track, and ect. If I do that it would probably take me only 20mins to port every song into your rom by the time you get it to me. If you still want to do that of course though. I am interested if you want the songs to sound different, or exactly like they did in ALTTP?

My intention was to have some small differences, keeping the overall song structure with some chunks of creativity here and there.

One of the main reasons for me to refrain from asking is that I'm not certain on what I want yet for each song.

I don't want you working on something that might end not being used at all.

I'm glad you understand. It was kind of hard to convey what I was trying to tell you. No matter what I wrote, it always ended sounding arrogant or like I was despising your work.

The next update should be coming this week. If everything goes right, in a few days I'll complete this current stage of setting up exits, spawns and collisions.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, first I asked for Spire's opinion on this, but I guess the more opinions I get, the better.

I have this map I'm quite unsatisfied with and would like you to try it for a bit and tell me all that's wrong with it (don't hold back!).

Things to overlook:

Grass texture isn't very good-looking (I'll see about multitexturing it);

Any water transparency different than 255 will make it disappear entirely;

Some textures have a problem with the alpha, showing a kind of border (Must be fixed within the display list code);

No river or water texture animation;

The few actors placed.

Some issues I myself can tell:

Land size looks unproportional to Link, giving an empty feel to it;

The overall water depth - well, to be honest all about water here is wrong somehow;

That region with the rocks is completely useless (in alttp too). I'm accepting suggestions about how to make use of that space; Land/map division also may not be the ideal one. I'm thinking of modifying this region entirely.

What do you think? ZoraRiver.ppf Debug ROM, usual sasatest scene.

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.