Your opinion on no Nintendo E3 press conference?

xdaniel

(I know there's the thread about E3 2004 that also got posts about this announcement, but I feel like this should be debated separately)

Nintendo has recently announced that they won't hold a large scale press conference at E3 this year, and that they will instead have more Nintendo Directs before E3, as well as smaller events at E3 itself. What's your opinion about this? Do you think this is the right thing to do for them? Or is it a step in the wrong direction?

I feel like this is one of the worst things they could've done, besides maybe not attending E3 at all. I personally like Nintendo Directs very much, giving fans new announcements and news about games and hardware all year round. However, that's the thing: Besides gaming journalists, it's the fans who're watching them - they reach neither the mainstream media nor non-fans with them.

Big non-gaming media outlets are far more likely to attend an E3 press conference than to watch a half-hour stream Nintendo announces a few days prior. And in turn, those outlets are the ones read or watched by the expanded audience that Nintendo once captured with Wii Sports and Brain Training, some of which still believe the Wii U is a controller for the Wii, or have not heard of it at all. Those families or casual gamers do not read Siliconera, Destructoid, IGN or Kotaku, they read newspapers and watch television news - who made the Gamepad a simple Wii controller a mere three months before the Wii U launched (ex. German station n-tv on August 16th).

The more level-headed fans of other systems - meaning not the extreme "Nintendo is for babies, CoD ftw" fanboys (no offense to the CoD players here, it's just the stereotype!) - also are not gonna watch the more fan-focused Nintendo Directs, and are far more easily reached via a press conference at E3. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are the "big three", so they'll probably watch everyone's conferences to know what they've got up their sleeves.

Nintendo really should go all out on trying to raise public awareness about especially the Wii U, and to a far lesser extend the 3DS. They need something like E3 2004 again, something that says "We're not down and out just yet! Here's the experiences you can find, and only find on Wii U! We're Nintendo!", yet instead they completely avoid the traditional press conference, the single big hype generator at E3.

• Like 1

As I said before, this will only support the casualcodkididiots idea that Nintendo is only for kids and can't compete with the 'best' eg. Micro$oft and Sony. Also, there's some mighty flawed logic right there, how will people become aware about 3ds/wiiu games if they don't have a 3ds/wiiu, if you had one chances are you'd already know about them.

:/

well when i read it, it was a disappoint for me i was looking forward Nintendo at e3 and all but in the other hand Nintendo have hold alot Nintendo direct lately so all the news from nintendo is already out so. So all Nintendo is going to do is just to show us some demos of the games. 

I think they're missing out on getting the word out to the mainstream media. If the media reports on Sony and Microsoft and then wait for Nintendo to make an announcement, and nothing ever comes of it, they'll just probably assume there isn't anything to report.

Because mainstream media is stupid. The gaming media will report on Nintendo direct most likely though.

• Like 1

The gaming media will report on Nintendo direct most likely though.

They always do, so it's not even a "most likely".

Anyways, I don't see the big deal about Nintendo not being at E3; they have Nintendo Direct, and most of the population of this green world already knows they exist, and will find out about their announcements sooner or later, E3 or not.

Sent from my cell phone, because ancient satellites from across the cosmic web are lame.

They always do, so it's not even a "most likely".

Anyways, I don't see the big deal about Nintendo not being at E3; they have Nintendo Direct, and most of the population of this green world already knows they exist, and will find out about their announcements sooner or later, E3 or not.
Sent from my cell phone, because ancient satellites from across the cosmic web are lame.
My friend, you underestimate their stupidity.;)

I mean, some people have this idea that Nintendo will fade out soon because the Wii was such a huge failure /sarcasm, and this will only support their idea.

I'm talking, of course, about the CoD Kids

Ps. Don't take these posts too seriously, I just think Nintendo needs to do something big to show they are still here, to show graphics mean nothing when extremely polished gameplay is involved.

:)

I mean, some people have this idea that Nintendo will fade out soon because the Wii was such a huge failure /sarcasm, and this will only support their idea.I'm talking, of course, about the CoD KidsPs. Don't take these posts too seriously, I just think Nintendo needs to do something big to show they are still here, to show graphics mean nothing when extremely polished gameplay is involved.:)

Dude, those "lil' CoD kiddies" don't care about gameplay. Just graphics, that's all they think about. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, I'm related to one.../end rant about CoD kids nobody gives a damn about. But at least gamers that actually care about quality games like Zelda or Metal Gear will. I think your right, they should do something big (at least once) so that the world knows that they can keep up with the other companies.
  • Like 1

Exactly, Nintendo needs to do something big to show their still in the competition, and that they never actually left, having a underpowered console dosen't mean you've failed. Give 'em a right ol' slap in the face. Pasting a modern graphics engine over your game is a lot cheaper than making a fun well polished game.

I'm related to one...

You poor, poor guy, my condolences to you.:(

I'm betting that Nintendo is gonna present most/all of what they've previously shown in Nintendo Directs at E3 2013, albeit in shorthand; also, I can all but guarantee that Ninty's at least saving the big Super Smash Bros 4 reveal for E3, and perhaps a 3D Mario platformer. Plus, I'm sure that they'll make a point to inform the audience at E3 of Nintendo Direct.

Some people need to stop acting like Nintendo's going in empty-handed.

I suppose it was a good move to save them money. E3 is really only big with a specific audience and yet in order to target a larger audience its easier to use the directs. So, I agree with the decision and see not loss in their performance at all. 

Besides, it means they can go about releasing info without a big expectation at the same time year after year only to see disappointment. "Oh, a new system got announced, that was random."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.