Zelda hacks tested on hardware?

xdaniel

Question

Prompted by the posting of a certain person on Maco - saying that imports done using Model2N64 likely won't work on hardware because it supposedly doesn't adhere to the F3DEX2 Ucode's vertex buffer conventions - I ended up wondering if any of our hacks, model conversions/imports, etc. have ever been tested on hardware? Be it custom maps, or be it just replaced swords or somesuch, especially regarding if they render correctly. Has ex. the Ura team done any hardware testing yet, also considering how that hack in particular is being made with the real hardware in mind, with the custom soundtrack via the 64drive and such.

16 answers to this question

Guest sakura

I heard about that, they said Model2N64 uses a 64 vertex buffer while the N64 vertex buffers only go up to 32 vertices. We haven't tested anything out on real hardware yet, but that's definitely going to happen. The first step will be something simple like injecting it into a .wad and testing it on Nintendo's N64 emulator, then hardware testing when possible.

I've been planning to order a 64drive for some time now to test that, though I haven't been able to hold onto enough money for long enough due to a long string of unforeseen expenses. However, it is something that is still on my agenda to do, so that the functionality of our tools can be verified. I expect that we will see some tools creating crashes, but it's also possible that incomplete programming will function. I believe that most SM64 mods from earlier time periods before Fast3D was implemented properly do work.

I've got an Everdrive 64. I wouldn't mind testing out some hacks for anyone.

I wouldn't go with the 64drive though if anyone is planning to get an N64 flash cart

What's wrong with the 64drive? I was one of the beta testers, had the CF only version and marshallh kindly replaced it free of charge when he redesigned to Micro SD & CF. Software on it is solid, marshallh knows n64 software and hardware about as well as SGI when they designed the damn console. ED64 has a definite price advantage though.

I have tried Zelda's Birthday, Deathbasket's boss rush hack and the demo map that comes with Sharp Ocarina. Zelda's Birthday crashes whenever I try to load up a map with the exception of the title screen cutscene. Deathbasket's boss rush works without issues. Sharp Ocarina's demo map works, but I get weird drawing issues when using the map.

I've got an Everdrive 64. I wouldn't mind testing out some hacks for anyone.

I wouldn't go with the 64drive though if anyone is planning to get an N64 flash cart

What's wrong with the 64drive? I was one of the beta testers, had the CF only version and marshallh kindly replaced it free of charge when he redesigned to Micro SD & CF. Software on it is solid, marshallh knows n64 software and hardware about as well as SGI when they designed the damn console. ED64 has a definite price advantage though.

Well the 64drive is fine, though I think the ED64 does have an advantage or two. 64drive used to be faster, then ED64 V2 came out, and now ED64 v2 is the fastest at loading up games. As you mentioned before the ED64 is a lot cheaper, granted you get it at the right place online. At Retrogate you can order the ED64 V2 for $129.00 with CIC installed, and shell with cut out for SD.

Stone Age Deluxe ($174.99) is normally in stock. The 64Drive is almost always on pre-order, and if you want to get the full package, case/CIC/cart, then you are looking at $199.00

Some people still think that the ED64 cannot play Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie, which is wrong, you can play all of those since being updated a couple of times. ED64 had gotten a controller pack back up manager in the latest O.S, so now Both are almost on par as far as features and compatibility. ED64 is just cheaper

I have tried Zelda's Birthday, Deathbasket's boss rush hack and the demo map that comes with Sharp Ocarina. Zelda's Birthday crashes whenever I try to load up a map with the exception of the title screen cutscene. Deathbasket's boss rush works without issues. Sharp Ocarina's demo map works, but I get weird drawing issues when using the map.

On DeathBasket's Boss Rush hack did you try to beat all of the bosses? mine froze after beating Phantom Ganon, and going into the warp. I even played it twice to make sure it was a consistent freeze

Nah I'm no expert, but I would guess that if it loads up the game then any crashes or freezes you run across should be a part of the hack, or the original rom... The reason I say the original rom is because Animal Forest shouldn't play on ED64 or 64Drive

because Animal Forest shouldn't play on ED64 or 64Drive

Wait, it doesn't? That'd be one of my main reasons for getting a flashcart.

Only reason I can see for it not working is the missing real-time clock, but I don't think emulators emulate that either...? Then again, I have neither flash cartridge so I might be wrong...

because Animal Forest shouldn't play on ED64 or 64Drive

Wait, it doesn't? That'd be one of my main reasons for getting a flashcart.

Only reason I can see for it not working is the missing real-time clock, but I don't think emulators emulate that either...? Then again, I have neither flash cartridge so I might be wrong...

I think that's why. If someone knew what they were doing maybe they could sacrifice a chip or two inside the animal forest cart, or some other that uses it... I'm not sure if that's why.. I think, but doesn't Harvest Moon 64 have real-time clock? I forget. I know that I can play Harvest Moon 64, but if it does then it doesn't keep track of real-time obviously. Animal Forest freezes after trying to set things up in the game while the dog is talking to you.

The 64DD also supplies a clock, it's implemented in some forks of mupen64plus, and the register is used by Animal Forest as I recall. I bet newer flash carts could read and write the register if their OS/firmware/whatever were written to do so.

The 64DD also supplies a clock, it's implemented in some forks of mupen64plus, and the register is used by Animal Forest as I recall. I bet newer flash carts could read and write the register if their OS/firmware/whatever were written to do so.

If either enough of the 64Drive owners told Marshallh they wanted it enough, or if all of the ED64 guys told Kirkzz to do it, one of them might. I would bet Marshallh would be the first to get to it. Krikzz just released a Famicom cart/Nes flash cart, and I think he's still busy perfecting the mappers, to go from 98% percent game support to 100%. I don't know what all Marshallh is busy with though. If he does it then Krikzz would most undoubtly try to do it afterwards as well.

Maybe Chilli Willy (or however he spells his name) would be up to the task. Wasn't he one of the first people to try to make an N64 flash cart? it's been some time since I've read about it.. if I remember correctly he was, but he dropped the project, and after the 64Drive was announced to be coming out whenever, then Krikzz had starting to work on his flashcart, and even got some help on how to do it from Chilli Willy.

Just think if we had real time implimented. Someone could add real time into a Majora's Mask Hack and we could play it on our carts

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.