An Otherwordly Visitor

Mellow

The sky was a very dark shade of grey, a stormy overcast looming in the sky. A bit of rain was pouring, but only a bit. There was a street, running along for a while, houses dotted the sides, running along with the street as far as the eye could see. Albeit, that wasn't very far, as there was a forest not so far away, blocking away any further vision. It was a rather urban place, but not quite a suburb. Whatever you would like to call it, it was there. The rain began to pour a bit more, hammering down onto the ground. All was well, except perhaps the weather. A cold breeze blew through an alleyway, a dazzling orb of light drifting through. It stopped, nowhere that it could be seen. It hummed a bit, bobbing in the air, before it violently expanding into a swirling vortex, a void like opening appearing in the alleyway, a passageway between dimensions. A figure stepped through, towering high, all dressed in black, a fancy hat atop his head, green hair falling out from under it. He moved his gaze up, showing his white, glazed over eyes. He seemed to be blind, but yet, he could see. He brushed himself off, looking around the alleyway, and then up to the sky. A bit of rain dropped onto his face.

"Filthy," he muttered to himself, the vortex closed behind him quickly. "I hope the people of this dimension live under... better conditions than whatever trash I have stepped foot in."

The rain was a soft patter on the grass. All things silent throughout the park other than the drum beat. It was amazing how quiet it was here. Much better than the horrific yelling back at the small house a few blocks away. In fact amongst the silence you could faintly hear it. A new sound had joined that of the rain. The sound of footsteps. Little blue trainers splashed in the puddles as they made their way across the street. Soaked was the girl who wore them. Her white blonde hair was plastered to her head and her navy hoodie was no protection against mother natures tears. Perhaps she was running from something. Theres no guessing what. But theres a large chance that she knew the harshness of that loud house a few blocks away. Among the drops of rain, tears also ran down her fair cheeks. Blue blood shot eyes rarely opened as she ran. She cut through an alley way in some hope of dry air. She found no such protection but stopped anyway. She was growing weary and if she couldnt find protection from the rain here then she wouldnt find it anywhere. She tried to wipe her face with the soaked sleeve of her hoodie. It was no use really. She looked up into the smoke filled sky with hope in her heart and a prayer on her lips. "Please, Make this pain end. If youre really out there God. If you really exist. Please send me some hope, some power, some strength to get through this." She looked down at her shoes in an utter and hopeless defeat.

The green haired man looked around, extended a hand towards the sky.

"The rain is falling rather hard... won't be long before I'm soaked."

With a gesture of his hand, a black umbrella materialized into his hand, opening itself up within an instant. A smirk was painted onto his face as he held it in one hand, leaning it against his shoulder. "Much better," he stated, putting one foot in front of the other, stepping out of the alleyway and into the open. The rain seemed to fall even harder in the open area. He moved his eyes along the horizon, his eyes freezing on the park directly across the street from him, several vehicles buzzing through the street, as busy as they always were, regardless of the weather. "Well, how about that."

The young girl looked over to the small bench in the center of the park. Shed slept there for many nights. Perhaps she should spend the night there again. Or maybe she should return to the raucous house and face her punishment as it was. After all no one could run forever. Not even the blind man. Now when we say the blind man were quite positive he isnt truly blind. In fact we have reason to believe that this man actually saw a lot more than most people do in their life time. the young girl had often dreamed of him. His slender black coat and green hair. She had often written stories of him. How he would traverse the galaxy, he was always searching, always running. Perhaps she was a lot like him in that way. Always a runner. The young girl made it back through the rain to the small bench. She flopped onto it exhausted. Further drenching herself in water she curled up onto its metallic green surface. She wished so much that the blind man would come for her, take her away with him. She wouldnt miss this place. With its filthy people and worn streets. Yes, she wouldnt mind a little adventure.

The man looked down at his wrist, pulling his sleeve back and examining his watch. He took in the time, moving his hand back to his side. "This rain surely can make a bit of a ruckus." He grinned again, standing tall and making his way across the road as soon as the green man showed his face. He stopped, looking over the park before stepping in. "Interesting. Some sort of preservation of the local flora?" He questioned, puzzled a bit by the heavily contrasting areas of the dimension he had stepped foot into. "And not a single sentient being in si--" He stopped, noticing a young girl laid out on a green bench in the park. "Perhaps I spoke too soon," he stated, moving towards the girl at a calm pace. He sat down on the bench on the part that had not been occupied by the girl, sheltering her under his umbrella as much as he could. "Hello there, madam."

The girl sat up so quickly that the water on the bench caused her to slide off into the dirt and grass. "Who are you?" She asked her blue eyes wide with terror. There were no such thing as friendly people in her world. Here everyone wanted something from you and would use any means to get it. She searched the mans face for any sign of his ulterior motives. She looked into his eyes. Blue against grey. Her faced turned from terror to complete horror. "Blind man." She whispered her breath a cloud in the cold weather. Was this possibly the act of god answering her? Could this possibly be her way out? Or was this simply the hallucinations from a case of hypothermia that shed most likely developed by now? The young girls head was swimming around, more like drowning, in a pool of wich all the answers were on a far away shore.

The man looked at the girl, his glazed over eyes staring into hers. "Blind man?" He asked, pausing for a moment. "Ah, yes. My eyes. Yes, they do appear blind, do they not? But yet... by some..." He paused, smirking a bit before he continued. "Divine providence, they are very capable of sight." He paused for a moment, his smirk turning into a kind smile. "Speaking of eyes... yours are rather nice, I must say. You seem frightened... like you've seen a ghost. Tell me, madam... have you perhaps seen my face before?" He asked, stopping for a moment. "Oh, do please forgive my rudeness. I have forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Ceres... Ceres Mathis, at your service," he said with a tip of his hat. "Pleasure to meat you."

The young girl stood from the ground. Not bothering to wipe the dirt and grass from her rain soaked pants. She placed a soft palm on the mans cheek as if to prove by some means of physicality that he really existed. "Oh Ceres speak again for I truly believe that I am looking at a ghost now. For if you are real then perhaps you would hear me and reply. Otherwise I must believe that I have gone far past madness." She hadnt yet dropped her hand and decided to do so now. She looked deep into his grey eyes looking for that spark of life that shed always seen in her dreams. There it was clear as day. As if something within him just shone out of those fogged windows to the soul. "I am Leta, Leta Saunders." She said with a steady voice. It was clear and musical. Unlike the shy shakiness it had exhibited before. It made her seem more...divine.

"Leta Saunders, is it?" He paused, taking in the moment, quickly donning a kind smile on his face. "Well, Miss Saunders, I can assure you that I am very real," he stated, handing her his solid black umbrella. "I know you're already completely and totally drenched, you've likely been out in this cold downpour for some time, but it never hurts to shield some of it away," he said, folding her fingers around the hand of the umbrella with his own. "There," he said. "Now, Miss Saunders... why would a young lady such as yourself be all alone in a place like this, under conditions like these?" He asked, cocking his head slightly, staring deeply into her eyes, his eyes holding a strange depth to them, regardless of shallow fog that one would see at a glance.

"Thank you" She said looking down at his hand clasped around hers. It was nice and dry. She looked back at him watching the movements his mouth made as he asked her another question. She thought back to how a lamp had barely missed her face as she ran from the door. Trying to escape the horrid screaming and yelling of her so called parents. They were spiteful people without and ounce of love in their heart other than the love for themselves. "I....I cant go home..." She looked away from him ashamed of her cowardice. "These conditions here are better than the ones back home." She sneezed a few times before having a bout of coughing. It nearly drove her into a fit. Surely by now shed caught herself a good cold.

While this was going on, two friends sat huddled under a tree that was smaller than others and so was usually too minuscule a detail to notice. The two friends talked about better times before there entire families had enrolled and died in various wars. The friend with the long, black hair was about 14, and was orphaned at 12. The friend with the piercing fire red eyes and blonde hair was 16 and was orphaned at age 13. They spoke of better times, not noticing the other twos' presences, or else not caring enough to move. They were tired and running from child services, and didn't need trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Ceres shook his head lightly, looking her drenched body over for a moment. He sighed lightly. "Well, that simply won't do. Your... home... I can gather from your being here, out in the cold rain in the local park, that is mustn't be the best of places to be," he stated, reaching into his coat pocket and pulling out a small rag of sorts, wiping the the rain and tears from her face gently. "Now, what sort of man would I be if I made you go back to that place?" He asked, turning he head to the side ever so slightly, smiling a bit as his milky eyes gazed into hers. A friendly grin spread across his face as he continued, "I wouldn't be much of a man at all, I don't think." He took off his coat, wrapping it around her. He paused for a moment, in thought. "I know we've only just met, but what would you say to coming with me, Miss Saunders?"

Leta raised one eyebrow. She knew very well how limited her options were. Her fingers played childishly with the ends of her hair as she thought. She could go back to her house and live out her days in misery there. Live here in the park where she would suffer for the rest of her life, less so than her home. Or she could take this strangers hand and travel the world, see new and strange places. But he could also be dangerous. She'd always been a very clever girl. She didn't trust very easily. Perhaps this man wished to kidnap her and do with her as he would. Could she really trust him not to do that? Yes. Of course she could. This man was her hero. He'd already been so kind to her. "I'd say yes." She looked up at him her bright blue eyes filled with her decision. It was one she'd thought through and had made whole heartedly. Now all she had to do was follow through. She gave him a small smile. It was a weak one that was full of pain, yet still it was a beacon of hope in the girls dark world.

Ceres quickly stood up from the bench, his tall figure towering over the girl. He looked down at her, smiling again and tipping his hat. "Well, Saunders, I'd say it's time to e off. It's a bit damp here in this park, wouldn't you say?" He asked in a rhetorical manner, water dripping from the brim of his hat, having soaked his clothing to full capacity. He gestured with his hand to the exit of the park, taking her hand in his other. "Shall well?" He asked, bowing formally, a wide grin plastered on his face.

Leta arose from the bench to stand beside him. Her head barely came up above his stomach. She'd always been small. "Tell me Mr. Matthews," She said tucking a soaked strand of white behing her elfish ear, "Where is it we'll be going?". She blinked a few times to clear them of the raindrops that had settled in her long lashes. She held tight to his hand as they both began to walk down the paved street of the city. It could get dangerous at night. But it seemed that that time was passing for in the east, just over its horizon, you could see the first rays of the sun peeking out. It was as if the world was waking from a sleep. Even the rain was even beginning to lessen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.