N64/Zelda hacking tools (DList conversion etc)

xdaniel

i shouted that last night if thats what youre referring to, yea, i was going for demon as opposed to dragon > ;)

Oh missed that one, One question. Can you change so it looks like Epona flies instead of the running? would look kinda badass if that would work out.

i suck but im sure theres a way to do it, like if you could apply the hover boots effect to the horse and lower the gravity i guess? i dont know if its possible to apply a gravity change to just the horse(if it even has gravity)

im wondering if theres a way to make it spawn some type of deathmountain fire actor when you press a button on the horse

If Epona uses gravity, it may be something that's in code.zdata that she uses... and that means changing that will affect everything with gravity. Although, it's possible to edit her floating-point values and see if any of those contain her gravity. Also, I think it's possible to change how she animates, but finding that is even trickier.

If you want to try to find her gravity, you can always try my Ocarina Value Changer to find it. Also, ADDIU values can affect animation sometimes, but rarely. I recommend fiddling with the float values. If you need some tips on how to test for different effects, just pm me.

If you can't edit Epona's gravity, there's sure to be her jumping force applied to her code.

Cool work, xdaniel. Is this more of a frontend for a library you're writing, or what?

@everyone: Awesome imports!

re: Airikita [offtopic]

I'm attempting to get the Arwing to work, but even just adding the new model data to the end of the ovl_en_clear_tag.zactor crashes the game when an Arwing is present... Even without pointing to the new model!

The size of actor files is vital to their loading. I wouldn't reccomend changing the file without throughly understanding the actor format, or editing them as zovldis disassembled actors. Anything else will mess all the relocations and other information up. Check out my video on youtube of

If Epona uses gravity, it may be something that's in code.zdata that she uses... and that means changing that will affect everything with gravity. Although, it's possible to edit her floating-point values and see if any of those contain her gravity. Also, I think it's possible to change how she animates, but finding that is even trickier.

If you want to try to find her gravity, you can always try my Ocarina Value Changer to find it. Also, ADDIU values can affect animation sometimes, but rarely. I recommend fiddling with the float values. If you need some tips on how to test for different effects, just pm me.

If you can't edit Epona's gravity, there's sure to be her jumping force applied to her code.

I once found a value for gravity, and it wasn't as cool as I expected. It is a signed value, normally negative. I never tested it with anything but link... Come to think about it, it probably only affected link.

Cool work, xdaniel. Is this more of a frontend for a library you're writing, or what?

Well, it was originally just a small demo project to test the library - one which, early on, I didn't even intend to release -, but has pretty much become a proper tool of its own. Still need to work on the library some more, mainly to implement some more model formats for importing/exporting.

Like I mentioned in the shoutbox, textures with a transparent background don't seem to be working at all. Weather it be Airikita's Apple Leaf, or something else I was working on. I even tried importing the same model through SharpOcarina and the texture worked just fine, so am I supposed to mess with "Combine Mux" with my material?

• Like 1

Oh, so any texture with an alpha channel, as opposed to images with partial translucency? I must've misunderstood on the shoutbox, I thought it was about PNGs that were, say, 50% translucent or something... That should be a bug then, yeah. First guess is that I'm not generating the right GeometryMode settings and/or combiner mux. You can try to mess with the combiner mux, but I'm not sure if that'll help. Gonna have a look at this later.

Like I mentioned in the shoutbox, textures with a transparent background don't seem to be working at all. Weather it be Airikita's Apple Leaf, or something else I was working on. I even tried importing the same model through SharpOcarina and the texture worked just fine, so am I supposed to mess with "Combine Mux" with my material?

i had a good idea of my own for once :D

• 4 weeks later...

Couple things that could help improve this, the ability to zoom in and out on the object, cause the controls are a bit stiff to be able to view your model and the lighting around it not very easily and possibly add .zobj as an extention, as most model viewers read .zobj and it becomes kind of annoying having to test size, and have to rename the .bin file to .zobj just to view it before testing ingame. Stil this is a very impressive tool xdan! :3

EDIT: I seem to have found an error trying the public2 release. No textures at all show up and the lightbulb on the box is completely blank.

error_public_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

First things first, I will get back to Model2N64, its model conversion library, etc. sometime, but for now I'm focusing on my PSX game and both Sayaka's and ZSaten's possible future replacement, SorataVSE. I posted about it in the SayakaGL thread before, but I think it's better suited here.

And so, an update on Sorata. I mentioned the XML-based actor definitions or templates the program uses to create the actor editing interface, but only had a highly generic definition to show - actor number, position, rotation and variable, the classic stuff. Well, I've worked on the definition reader and the interface creation code some more today, and here's how it stands now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice how the interface changes between switches and treasure chests? Once actual editing and saving is implemented, this should make building "dungeon infrastructure" easier, however, so far it's just a fancy viewer.

Edit: now with checkboxes.

...man, I don't want to bring people's hopes up, that it'll be finished soon and really awesome and all, but I do by posting stuff like this, don't I? -.-

Edited by xdaniel
  • Like 1

Which, in turn, gets people to post motivating comments, such as this one.

I will gladly test this program once it is released by finally coming out of hibernation and releasing a mini-dungeon of sorts for people to play, and I may also get a community challenge for it going as well.

Heh, thanks :)  Also, I've decided to do something relatively unusual for me. Usually, I'm only willing to release something if it's up to a certain standard, even if the end result isn't very pretty internally (like SO)... whatever that standard might actually be, I don't have a definition handy. Not to mention that must sound weird coming from me, the master of sloppy code and horrible design decisions...

Anyway, the big change here, however, is that I'll be posting random WIP builds of the program from time to time, starting right now: SorataVSE v0.0 "test0", very early, no editing and saving, only really tested with the MQ Debug ROM, etc., etc. You won't be able to do anything useful with it yet, but there's still plenty in there already to keep you occupied for... uh, ten minutes? You can look around scenes, have an early look at the whole XML actor definition stuff I've been talking about, you can try to load and render objects from the filesystem separately, as well as load files without rendering them (good for loading gameplay_keep and then something that uses textures from there, like GI models)... and that's about it.

Still, let me know if and how it works! :D

• Like 1

You were spot on--Ten minutes. :P It works great. Obviously I can't really say much; but it's really a great viewer. Was the texture rendering library updated?

I wanted to make an outlandish suggestion. Because it already looks so much like it does in-game, what are the chances of rendering textures being animated? Like water and such. I just think that would look really neat! And is this going to render actors in maps like OZMAV does? (By their hierarchy, and having them rendered in the map.)

Animated textures: If I can figure out how they work, sure. If not, well, no. Actors in maps: Especially now that I've got the joints thing pretty much cracked so to speak, I'd say yes.

Also, on another subject, a side effect of sorts that's broken in the build I posted above:

Posted Image

I'm not working on this game; anything you might be able to do in it is an unintended side effect, although I'm not actively preventing this by only allowing Zelda ROMs to load or somesuch.

(Not to mention a "side effect" that's "broken"? Awkward wording for sure)

• Like 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.