OoT InstEd (Instrument Editor)

DeathBasket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIm00XQh41k  <---This is an updated link to the new file!!!!

This was done using DeathBasket's InstEd. I seem to be missing something still as the bass doesn't seem to be there but otherwise it's almost perfect.

I was a little confused when it came to actually importing the sound files hence I kept screwing up. But when I settle down and start thinking about what was said, it's not hard, just a little time consuming. But it's certainly worth it!

Edit: I have just fixed it. It appears I just forgot to put an instrument into spot 1, adding it makes the music flawless! Extremely happy right now! :3

Edited by !Tommy
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgKmkEbIVo

This was done using DeathBasket's InstEd. I seem to be missing something still as the bass doesn't seem to be there but otherwise it's almost perfect.

I was a little confused when it came to actually importing the sound files hence I kept screwing up. But when I settle down and start thinking about what was said, it's not hard, just a little time consuming. But it's certainly worth it!

Edit: I have just fixed it. It appears I just forgot to put an instrument into spot 1, adding it makes the music flawless! Extremely happy right now! :3

Exactly how I felt when I first changed my music. You may still run into some problems, so message me anytime. I've learned just about anything you would need to know concerning the InstEd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgKmkEbIVo

Exactly how I felt when I first changed my music. You may still run into some problems, so message me anytime. I've learned just about anything you would need to know concerning the InstEd

Thanks! I appreciate it! :D

Actually, I just flawlessly converted it by reripping the MM instruments and starting from scratch and here it is!

There is one question I have which is a bit off and on topic. My one ROM I have is near full when it comes to porting MM Music files and when I use the old mml Z64 sequence insertion program, it says that I need to use zseq_clean to clean the sequences out. I do not have this and I cannot seem to find it. I tried the new MMtoOoT porter but for some odd reason, it doesn't seem to work right for me. How can I bypass this as I'd love to try porting more MM songs over in this fashion.

I never had to do such a thing. To my knowledge the InstEd replaces the music in the sequence you set it too. The mml z64 sequence insertion program should be obsolete now with the InstEd. You can choose which sequence to replace the music in the insert sequence section of the program. on the left you will notice that it will say sequence to replace and the default number will be 2.

2 being Hyrule field

Here is a list of area numbers you can use. If you are trying to replace a sequence with a letter in the mix for example: 1D

Then you will have to type it like this: $1D

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Zelda_64:_OoT_Music_Values

How did you rip the music instrument list? that will save me tons of time, also what do you use to rip the music? I've just been downloading midi files off random sites

Oh and another thing, different sequences have different sequence instrument sets so even if you change it to the instrument set you want it will not sound right. That can be changed by using the instrument set to sequence mapping part of the program

https://sites.google.com/site/deathbasketslair/zelda/ocarina-of-time/instrument-sets-and-sequences

Be sure to press enter when using that specific part of the program, and there is no need to type it out like 0x03 just 03

Another note is that if you change the instrument set to an area that shares the same sequence instrument set mapping then it will change the music in the area.. not sure if I said that right..

for example if you make kokiri forest have the 03 instrument set, and have an instrument set like this for the song you have just inserted into Kokiri  forest

0 trumpet

1 piano

2 bass guitar

then it will set the instrument set for Hyrule field, and other areas sharing the same instrument set 0x03

The way I try to get by this is making the biggest instrument set list I can even if I don't use all of the instruments for a song.

Then I use the same set for a different song sharing the same sequence instrument set

I never had to do such a thing. To my knowledge the InstEd replaces the music in the sequence you set it too. The mml z64 sequence insertion program should be obsolete now with the InstEd. You can choose which sequence to replace the music in the insert sequence section of the program. on the left you will notice that it will say sequence to replace and the default number will be 2.

2 being Hyrule field

Here is a list of area numbers you can use. If you are trying to replace a sequence with a letter in the mix for example: 1D

How did you rip the music instrument list? that will save me tons of time, also what do you use to rip the music? I've just been downloading midi files off random sites

Oh and another thing, different sequences have different sequence instrument sets so even if you change it to the instrument set you want it will not sound right. That can be changed by using the instrument set to sequence mapping part of the program

https://sites.google.com/site/deathbasketslair/zelda/ocarina-of-time/instrument-sets-and-sequences

Be sure to press enter when using that specific part of the program, and there is no need to type it out like 0x03 just 03

Another note is that if you change the instrument set to an area that shares the same sequence instrument set mapping then it will change the music in the area.. not sure if I said that right..

for example if you make kokiri forest have the 03 instrument set, and have an instrument set like this for the song you have just inserted into Kokiri  forest

0 trumpet

1 piano

2 bass guitar

then it will set the instrument set for Hyrule field, and other areas sharing the same instrument set 0x03

The way I try to get by this is making the biggest instrument set list I can even if I don't use all of the instruments for a song.

Then I use the same set for a different song sharing the same sequence instrument set

Yep, I started out just by playing with sequences and I took it this far now. I've just imported the cave/underground grotto music from MM into OoT. I replaced OoT's version of that music with MM's. I'm still going through to see what other music I would like to port over. Deathbasket only has a slight list of instruments tied to a sequence for MM so it's hard to know what really needs to be ported over and what really isn't necessary. 

Just out of curiosity, what would you guys like seen ported over to OoT from MM? I've already got Termina Field, Enemy, Boss, Ikana Castle, Cave, Sharp's curse, Mayor's meeting, and I can't remember what else offhand. Most of these were actually ported over when I was using mml long ago and InstEd didn't exist. Now that I'm learning a little more, I'm really getting into all this Zelda hacking :D

<--Link to cave theme

2 being Hyrule field

0 trumpet

1 piano

2 bass guitar

Yep, I started out just by playing with sequences and I took it this far now. I've just imported the cave/underground grotto music from MM into OoT. I replaced OoT's version of that music with MM's. I'm still going through to see what other music I would like to port over. Deathbasket only has a slight list of instruments tied to a sequence for MM so it's hard to know what really needs to be ported over and what really isn't necessary. 

Just out of curiosity, what would you guys like seen ported over to OoT from MM? I've already got Termina Field, Enemy, Boss, Ikana Castle, Cave, Sharp's curse, Mayor's meeting, and I can't remember what else offhand. Most of these were actually ported over when I was using mml long ago and InstEd didn't exist. Now that I'm learning a little more, I'm really getting into all this Zelda hacking :D

<--Link to cave theme

Wow you seem to know alot more than I did when I started using it. I was basically clueless, and I couldn't really find any tutorials.

where did you place the Mayor's meeting song? I was going to place it into the castle where you sneak around the guards

and that's some good work. Use the Boss music. I'd like to see it

2 being Hyrule field

0 trumpet

1 piano

2 bass guitar

<--Link to cave theme

Wow you seem to know alot more than I did when I started using it. I was basically clueless, and I couldn't really find any tutorials.

where did you place the Mayor's meeting song? I was going to place it into the castle where you sneak around the guards

and that's some good work. Use the Boss music. I'd like to see it

I'm not quite sure where I'm gonna use the mayor's music just yet, but it's in the ROM waiting to be used. :)

I definitely have the boss music in que to play when you're facing a boss. Works great! :D

I just converted clock town music over perfectly. Even though it would play somewhat good with the original market music, it was still missing stuff. Not anymore!

Issue found

I think this goes back to my previous mention since I used to play a ton with sequences. Using InstEd to replace a sequence file, I now get this error message...

Cannot insert - Audioseq size too small

Increase size or use new ROM

How can I get around this problem?

Couldn't say, I've never had that problem.

Any newcomers to the thread, if you know the solution to this, I'll be extremely grateful.

Cannot insert - Audioseq size too small

Increase size or use new ROM

As for expanding on what I was doing earlier, it seems not only will all of Clocktown's themes work, but so will the Deku Palace and both Stone Tower Temple themes!

(More themes ported)

You can increase Audioseq's size when importing sequences. I don't think that problem should actually be encountered though (the default size is huge) so I'll have to go back over the method I used for importing sequences so that it finds space to put them in better. I'll do this when I can.

You need to run the sequence cleaner and reinsert your music. I ran into this only when I tried adding too many songs to the end (I think I was able to add 8 or 9 before it gave me that message). At least that was the case way back in the messian (sp) days of music inserting.

You can increase Audioseq's size when importing sequences. I don't think that problem should actually be encountered though (the default size is huge) so I'll have to go back over the method I used for importing sequences so that it finds space to put them in better. I'll do this when I can.

It seems trying to increase the size does not work. I sadly still get the same message. :(

You need to run the sequence cleaner and reinsert your music. I ran into this only when I tried adding too many songs to the end (I think I was able to add 8 or 9 before it gave me that message). At least that was the case way back in the messian (sp) days of music inserting.

Where could I find this cleaner? I tried the m64 version and it didn't seem to work, it told me when still using z64mm_seq_inserter to use zseq_clean to clean the sequences but I can't seem to find that tool anywhere. Any suggestions? D:

***UPDATE***

I figured out how to increase the size of your audioseq file manually. For some reason, InstEd will not do it correctly so here's how to do it (That I know of)

You need to go into your ROM and search for the audioseq pointer location, for me it was located at 0x12fb0, the first is the beginning of the pointer and at 0x12fb4, that's the end pointer. All I had to do was extend the pointer since there's more free space there and bam, I can now import more music!

If using InstEd, the audioseq is usually relocated at 0x3F7000 so you would ultimately search for that pointer. As long as there's free space after the ending pointer, you should have no problems at all. :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This about the best place I can think to add this question. I've been playing around a LOT with MIDI files and setting them to specific instruments. However, OoT lacks a true flute instrument (at least so it seems). Looking at DeathBasket's instrument list, Hyrule Field is to contain the flute instrument but in actuality, I think it's a piccolo. There have been a number of tracks that I've needed the flute in order to sound correctly. So, now this leads to the actual question. How can I get a sample of a flute in the game? I'm not sure if Majora's Mask contains a flute or if it just plays off the piccolo since then I could just rip it that way. But if that's not the case, is there a way to actually find a flute sample floating around the net somewhere and be able to use InstEd to import it into the game? I've tried looking this up myself but I can't seem to find an actual sample that isn't a sound file in itself. I don't know if Super Mario 64 would have a flute in it or not. Either way, I'd sure appreciate the input on this one since it seems almost all the tracks I'd like to move over require the flute in order to sound proper.

Yeah, there's no real flute in OoT/MM afaik. You can shift your music down an octave or two and use the piccolo but it's not ideal. I think there was one in StarFox 64 but I have long since forgotten everything about that game so I'm not sure how you'd get at it now. The closest to a flute Super Mario 64 had was pan pipes I think.

DeathBasket is right, you're using Reaper you said didn't you Tommy!? You can open up the all the notes for a piccolo on reaper to display how they would be played on Piano, then you can select every note then drag it down. I usually drag it to where it looks like it's in the same spot just on  a lower part of the keys, that's how I did my New Kokiri Village song.

• Like 1

I just might give that a try! I'm still new to reaper but I can certainly play around with the track and see what happens. As Death said, even lowering the notes might help it sound more appropriate. One theme I'd like to port over is Falbi's House from Twilight Princess and use it to replace the theme when entering the shooting gallery and bombchu bowling alley. Of course that theme is mostly flute and I know the piccolo would sound way too high for the track unless the notes were lowered.

• 2 months later...

So, I have yet another question.

I sort of had a good idea but I think it's going a bit down the drain already. Since Zelda cannot handle multiple notes playing on a track, I thought why not split the notes into different tracks. I've done that successfully except when I go transform it into text files via InstEd, all my new tracks come up saying "No usable data found" or something to that effect. The new midi file with the tracks split up play just fine so why in the world doesn't it want to work properly in InstEd? I've tried Reaper and MIDISplit and both have the same results. It's not like the tracks are blank because in Synthfont they obviously play just fine. I must have all notes play though, I can't have them not working otherwise my tracks sound like crap in game.

Edit: Unless someone has a good, easy way to do this, for the time being I don't need help anymore. I figured it out on my own. I may add a tutorial unless someone else has a better way of doing this than I do. :)

Edited by !Tommy

I use MidiEditor. Sample image taken from the link.  :P If it's your first time running this after installing it, you may need to go to Midi > Midi Settings and check whatever is in the "Send Output to:" box, then click Ok.

Then open a MIDI that has multiple notes playing at once. The tracks are color-coded. Click on the Tracks tab seen below, and you can hide and mute the tracks that you aren't editing. It won't affect the MIDI at all. You do this by clicking the eye icon and volume icon (third and fourth from the left) in the track entry.

For each set of overlapping notes in a track, click the "Add Track" button and it will ask you to name the track. After you have created a new track, highlight one set of notes in a previously-existing track that overlap other notes by holding down Shift and clicking and dragging.

You may have to do that in small amounts, because it can be finicky and deselect all of the notes, and you might also click and drag notes out of position by mistake. If that happens, just do Ctrl + Z.

Each time you have highlighted some notes that you want moved to another track, do

Edit > Move selected Events to Track...

and the ones at the bottom should be the new tracks that you created, so keep track of them.

SyDKKDp.png

Again, this is the sample image taken from the SourceForge link so you can see what the interface is like. I didn't take that screenshot and my name isn't Markus.

Using this method, you can achieve amazing results like this:

I still cut out some of the notes, though, because I don't know if there's a limit to the number of tracks a sequence can have, and I was playing it safe. DeathBasket also said that you shouldn't have more than four simultaneous notes playing at once by the same instrument. The most I have is three. And that's a WIP, by the way, which only works in Nemu64, for some reason...

• Like 1

Thanks Twili! It's a bit like my method but I was using Synthfont to create duplicate tracks, and then removing notes from each that conflicted with each other. I might give MIDI Editor a try though! Here's my work in progress. Something still isn't right and the fact that the MIDI loops twice which makes more work and the trumpet doesn't work right for whatever reason on the second part. You'll see though, it's actually quite good but not done sadly. :(

The best part is, this uses the main Hyrule Field instrument map, so nothing is custom which is good!

Edited by !Tommy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have another question and I hope it's simple enough to answer. I really don't want to have to go through and change things all over again so what I want to know is is there a way to get rid of dead silence before the track loops again? Let me explain further...

In one of the compositions I'm doing, I ended up breaking it up because the second part was just a repeat so to cut it short and sweet, I used reaper to cut it in two, no biggie. So it seemed like it would loop perfectly however I have a few seconds of dead silence before it starts playing again. How can I fix this within in the instrument text files or control file? I'm not seeing any waits or anything that would prevent it from starting again immediately. Any ideas or do I have to go through and do a lot of this again?

Edited by !Tommy

Is there silence at the end of the MIDI file? Sounds like the length defined (I think) in the control file before looping is longer than the length of any of the actual music channels.

Honestly, I don't think so but Reaper is known to do funny things to MIDI files so it's possible there could be a bit of silence, but I know when I played the file itself there wasn't silence at all, but you could totally be right on the control file. Although there are no wait commands in it, there might be something needed to make it work properly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.