Twihard PWNED

Pinkie Pie

I actually find it kind of sad, given the sheer variation on vampire lore that the twilight saga gets so much shit for departing so heavily from the norm. Honestly, it's a breath of fresh air. As is the 'Spirit Wolf' lycanthropy, noted in the books themselves to be different to 'actual' lycanthropy. That being said, while the concepts are lovely, the execution is at times extremely poor.

I actually find it kind of sad, given the sheer variation on vampire lore that the twilight saga gets so much shit for departing so heavily from the norm. Honestly, it's a breath of fresh air. As is the 'Spirit Wolf' lycanthropy, noted in the books themselves to be different to 'actual' lycanthropy. That being said, while the concepts are lovely, the execution is at times extremely poor.

It's all very well taking a new perspective on things. however, Vampires who are essentially sparkling human cannibals? That's... weird. Sometimes formulas shouldn't be tampered with, like "vegetarian vampires" (that's so PC it hurts) and all of a sudden Vampires being able to procreate.

I wouldn't say Vampires being able to eat or feel emotion is hardly a new thing - Interview with a Vampire heavily covered this prospect - so it's hardly fair to call out Meyer on these two things when Anne Rice did this well over a decade ago (closer to 2 decades ago now).

The take on the Lycans was an interesting one in Twilight and one that seems perfectly legit though, so far in the first 3 movies that I've watched, it makes sense.

Twilight did some things right, but the vastly abstracted take on the Vampire creature was probably too much to swallow all at once, and it didn't help it was all wrapped up in adolescent cutesy bullshit to boot.

it's hardly fair to call out Meyer on these two things when Anne Rice did this well over a decade ago

The difference between them is that Anne Rice wrote a good book, and Meyer wrote a bad one that appeals only to 40 year old women and stereotypical obnoxious teenage girls.

The difference between them is that Anne Rice wrote a good book, and Meyer wrote a bad one that appeals only to 40 year old women and stereotypical obnoxious teenage girls.

QFT

I was going to be a lot more cynical and just say that the difference between Stephanie Meyer and Anne Rice (or in the troll's comparison, Meyer and J. K. Rowling) is that Rice can write. But this works fine, too.

Why is this person treating vampires as if they are real? If an author wants to make changes to something that doesn't exist I don't see how that's a problem. Hell, she could have just changed the name of the race of both the vampires and the werewolves to something completely different and series would have received half the amount of hate and attention in general.

Why is this person treating vampires as if they are real? If an author wants to make changes to something that doesn't exist I don't see how that's a problem. Hell, she could have just changed the name of the race of both the vampires and the werewolves to something completely different and series would have received half the amount of hate and attention in general.

It's hated because the changes are so damn stupid and completely irrelevant to the actual myth that makes vampires actually vampires.

Fair point, I can't argue with that. Although my main point was that the person in the OP seemed to have a problem with the general idea, rather then this specific implementation, but then blamed it all on Meyer, which isn't entirely fair.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really look into it, there's a lot more to most supernatural lore than the vast majority of media based on it ever presents. There are also regional differences, often based on the adoption and assimilation of lore into pre-existing lore. In the main, there is a dividing line between those vampires that remain living beings, usually having a far greater lifespan than that of a human, and those who are undead and are immortal. There are a handful in both categories that sunlight is fatal to, however there are also those who are either merely weakened or are completely unaffected by it. There is also lore of, again in both types, vampires procreating with humans. Rarely in lore are children born of parents both vampiric; more often than not it occurs between vampire and human and is often a significant individual to the person before their change.

The metaphysics of it all are even more expansive, as are methods of binding and killing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.