Zelda Skyward Sword - Ocarina of Time dethroned?

Pinkie Pie

OoT is actually one of the most boring Zelda games in existence, in my opinion. The only thing that can save it is the URA mod.

So, in short, OoT was topped a long time ago, even before SS. It all started with MM. ;p

This was sent from Tapatalk. Jelly?

But in terms of reviews and public opinion, Ocarina of Time is the most celebrated Zelda game. It got the highest ratings and is the most known Zelda game, after all. But I have to agree with you Majora's mask and Twilight Princess are both better than Ocarina of Time in my opinion. I wonder if Skyward Sword will top either of those.

Well, see, those are the opinions of some websites/magazines/very weird people/whatever. I tend not to go with what a lot of them say, at all.

If I was in charge of them, OoT would have long ago been dethroned.

And yes, I so agree with you. But since I am now playing through SS, I put this as my list of the best Zelda games:

1. Skyward Sword

2. Twilight Princess

3. Majora's Mask

Top of course being the best. Now while I have issues with SS's controls, I can still safely name it the best Zelda ever in my book.

But before I played SS, my two favorite Zeldas were MM and TP, just like they are yours. But yeah, you're gonna love SS.

This was sent from Tapatalk. Jelly?

• 7 months later...

See to me, MM was kind of tripod and didn't feel really that Zelda like. OoT will forever be king in a lot of people's eyes (mine included) but I feel that Slyward Sword was actually the first title to come to the same level as OoT. I'd say SS and OoT are matched.

OoT is so amazing (to me anyways) because it really gave me the feeling of sitting down and playing ALTTP in 3D on the N64 and it really does follow the same outline as LTTP. It really has something to do with the ambiance of the game and OOT always had one that no other newer Zelda gave to me other than Skyward Sword.

OoT was a great game... for the time. It pretty much revolutionized the 3d gaming world, but I have to agree there are much better Zelda games out there (twilight princess is my personal favorite), and indeed much better games. I really didn't like SS that much. I would like Zelda to go in two different directions, a mature style(TP) and a younger style(WW), rather than blending them together so that you have kids hating the mature side of the game and others hating the kid style.

• 1 month later...

I actually think that WW had also dethroned Oot. I had felt that the exploration element was there that Oot was missing. But it also utilized rupies a bit more, also it was annoying how you had to go and catch up to a boat, or wait for it to sail back.. Also TP was better than Oot because there was more things to explore. The boss battles in both games were also really massive(like in other zelda's) utilizing the special item that you had gotten in the dungeon it's self.

So in my opion WW and TP were the two best Zelda games in the sereies.

• 3 months later...

Well, lets be honest, OoT is old. What it did for the community is long since past, despite being the unreachable milestone that people compare other zelda games to. In my opinion, it has been surpassed greatly by Wind Waker, as Bedrock said; the world was immense and colorful, the aura of the game was simply magical, and it was gorgeous. Not to mention, it was fun fun FUN, in a way that, to me, has yet to be remastered.

If it is the goal of Nintendo to try and knock OoT of it's age-old pedestal, I believe that they are going in the right direction with.. some of the concepts of Skyward Sword. Sadly (And this is simply my own opinion), they didn't quite cut the mustard. Things about that game seem very... weird. For example, why even implement flight? From OoT and up, there was always a companion to help you get from point A to point B in a quicker pace then walking. Wind Waker, of course, did the best with this, dotting the path from point A to point B with ALL sorts of interesting things, such as different islands, moblin pirate fortresses, and mini-boss octorocs! SS didn't have that, to any extent at all. In the sky, there were pretty much about 8 islands that actually had any purpous aside from some small islands where chests popped up. It was very small, and left my craving for exploration very un soothed. I thought that maybe once I got to the surface, I could have that sense of exploration back. But that also was very stifling. There was not much to do or even look at in the three segregated lands, aside from trees... and... lava... and... sand. I see why they did all this: People complained that in TP, the world was immense but had absolutely nothing in it. So they went a different approach and made smaller landscapes chock full of... Well, still nothing, but at least it was MORE nothing! I just felt like most of the landscape design was half-hearted and sad.

I also feel like art design was a little off as well. OoT is the best example of perfection in art design. If you dissect OoT's monsters, characters, landscapes, and story, you will be left with a very cliche fantasy story: A fairy boy from a land of forest sprites pulls a sword from the stone to stop an evil wizard from taking over the kingdom and kidnapping a princess. There are skeletons, ghosts, zombies, spiders, dragons, goblins, werewolves, dwarves, elves, and mermaids. But through the magic of art design, the entire make-up changes! Now it's a dark, foreboding tale of strife and struggle, and adventure across the far corners of the world of Hyrule! Skeletons are hulking, gruesome heavily clad stalfos. Dwarves are the super-strong, noble gorons of death mountain! When you look at SS, however, you get...

Posted Image

Seal-frog. Stalfos now look more like skeletons, and Moblins look more like stereotypical goblins. It's like the art has been devolving since WW.

But there are many good things about SS that I DID like. The story was far more immersive then it's past predecessors. The character development was far superior to it's predecessors, and you got to know them and like them (Groose is a glorious bastard). Combat was amazing, though slightly unpolished (Ghirahim with his DAMN SWORD-CATCHING THING). And if implemented better next time, flight might actually be a great experience.

• Like 3

I have no nostalgic bias; I loved OoT because its what got me liking the franchise; (I owned the first one but didn't like it that much- it was probably because I wasn't good at it but meh) the one I would probably choose over OoT though is ALttP- that game is very epic to me. I never played TP, or MM (yet, very hard to find), and SS (When I first seen it, I thought Groose was some jester or somethin; I was like, "What the Hell?") So I can't really pass any judgement. I agree with Colonel Blinx about gaming reviews; I don't really like them since they're opinions, not facts. And I always wondered why people prefer remakes instead of a new adventure (although a 3D Link to The Past or Majoras Mask isn't that bad...)

Btw, why do people hate on Zelda 2? I mean it's different (hey, Toon Link was!) but it wasn't that bad as I've seen some rant about it. Although I do hate when you are in battle and all these blamed Moblins come out....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.