First console you cared about?

xdaniel

Worded the title like that for a reason: You might've had some kinda console or handheld before already, but what was the first console you really cared about, the first one you have had some kinda attachment to?

For me, it's a tie between the original Game Boy and the N64. The GB had ex. Zelda LA, which was the first game to really pull me in, story- and gameplay-wise, plus the Pokemon games, Super Mario Land 2, etc., while the N64 initially simply blew me away technically - you never forget the first time you play F-Zero X ^.^ - but also delivered wonderful gaming experiences, like F-Zero, OoT or Smash Bros. And additionally, my first N64 specifically is a memento of my childhood, having gotten it from my grandparents the Christmas before grandma passed away.

For me, it's a tie between the original Game Boy and the N64. The GB had ex. Zelda LA, which was the first game to really pull me in, story- and gameplay-wise, plus the Pokemon games, Super Mario Land 2, etc., while the N64 initially simply blew me away technically - you never forget the first time you play F-Zero X ^.^ - but also delivered wonderful gaming experiences, like F-Zero, OoT or Smash Bros. And additionally, my first N64 specifically is a memento of my childhood.

Story of my fifth Christmas (uncannily enough, including the games themselves, except Smash Bros. was my favorite because we had just gotten a surround sound system installed in our den which was epic).

The N64. Ocarina of Time was one of my first games, which encouraged me to get Super Mario 64 and Majora's Mask. The N64 also holds my favorite games, such as Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, and Gex 64. My brother (who isn't into Nintendo games anymore, and prefers CoD for some reason...) and I used to love doing team death matches together and beat the crap outta Lvl 9 NPCs. Other games that I enjoyed were Glover, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, among other things. :P

N64, hands down. OOT was actually the first videogame I have ever played, which sucks in a way because it set my standards way too high. I have great memories of MM, SM64, SSB, donkey Kong 64, Golden Eye, and others. Its also the only console I have ever owned which hasn't broken on me. I swear every generation the things get more flimsy and cheaply made. Even these days I play my N64 almost as much as my 360.

Its also the only console I have ever owned which hasn't broken on me. I swear every generation the things get more flimsy and cheaply made. Even these days I play my N64 almost as much as my 360.

Huh... I guess I'm lucky that a console has never broken on me... not even my Refurbished Xbox360 Elite. But the SNES was the first console I cared for. Mario raised me. [/joke]

Funny thing, my N64 at one point almost broke because I wanted to dump my import cartridges using a contraption consisting of an import adapter with domestic boot cartridge, a GameShark with an LPT cable plugged in, and the import game on top of that - a very fragile tower, even worse than, say, a Mega Drive, 32X, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3...

And of course, somewhere in the process something apparently shorted out or whatever. The N64 did not turn on anymore for at least 20 minutes, no matter what I did. Afterwards, it turned back on, and I even managed to get that contraption working, despite all common sense saying "never bloody try that again" :P

The first game I ever played that I actually cared about was (I think) Sonic 2 for the Sega Game Gear. The first console I ever cared about was my Dreamcast (which still works) where I played many great games like PSO v2, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Dead or Alive 2, and my favorite game of all time... Virtual ON: Oratorio Tangram. All my games are burned copies :P Speaking of PSO v2, does anyone here happen to know how to connect to the SCHTHACK servers?

Posted Image

So, yes, I am a Sega Man :( The only things that keep me around Nintendo are the Legend of the Zelda, Metroid, and Super Smash Bros.

The SNES, mainly because of Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World. I got a N64 afterwards and I preferred the SNES even then. The only reason for that is because I didn't play Zelda back then and to me/my personal preference the only reason the N64 is better than the SNES (in terms of games) is because of both Zelda: Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. I would much rather prefer an SNES over an NES because the games are less primitive, and more fluid. But of course that is only because of generation and technology differences.

I loved my Nintendo 64 - Mainly for the adventure games I still care about today.

Those include:

• Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Zelda: OoT (Of course)
And some others. All of those games when I play them make me attached to my N64 heaps. The feeling of getting away form reality and actually being able to freely control where you're going in these Adventure games is what I love the most. The newer versions will never replace these classics.

N64, Game Boy, and Dreamcast. My brothers gaming on them (and me occasionaly) had a massive influence on me, I can remember going onto their files on OoT and wandering around not knowing what to do... i was probably around 3 or 4 then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.