The Legend of Zelda: Tears of Fate

Shadow Fire

Good story so far.I have a small observation, though. Back at chapter 1, Sheik's essence mentions this:"You must not waste time, Link. You are Hyrule's last hope. I will remain here. Once you have provided aid to the Sages of Forest, Flames and Water, return to me. Good luck, Hero of Time."That's the thing Navi wouldn't let pass... or maybe Link just decided not to press C^ this time and managed to endure the "Hey!" all along the way.If Zelda is dead, that would mean the Triforce of Wisdom is up for grabs. I wonder if that's related with all the Sage killing.If this were an actual game, I could totally picture Zelda being still alive, hiding in the Temple of Light, just waiting for Link to assemble the Prelude of Light, with some ready excuse for how she couldn't have told you the truth right away, so you had to visit the temples all over.

You have a keen observation. I was wondering if someone would pick that up. Yes, you would think that Link would have returned to Sheik, but given what he's gone through, I think there's enough reason for him to forget.As for the ToW, Ganondorf has it. Hence his increase in power, and the ability to destroy the original power of the Sages that was given to Link in the damaged timeline.Plus, with Navi not reminding Link of what to do next, she has suffered greatly as well. Not just with losing their friends, but also knowing that Link is on the verge of total insanity. She has to safeguard his mental well-being as well.That said, I'm glad you enjoy the story so far. There's another twenty chapters to come.

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Chapter 11: Temple of Darkness

It was pitch-black inside the Temple of Darkness. The only source of light was generated from Navi's bright aura. Theorising that the temple's layout was different, Link made careful movements. His cold chill returned, and it made him shiver, but this time, it was different to the chill he had experienced in the graveyard. This one seemed malevolent. Dangerous.

Like the air itself wants to kill me...

Stopping all of a sudden, Link waited for his eyes to adjust, but after getting a feeling like something was about to attack, he jumped back... just in time to see a Wallmaster land. Sword met demonic flesh with lightning-fast agility, and it didn't take long for the beast to succumb to the onslaught it received, vanishing in a puff of smoke.

"Wow..." Navi muttered. "That was way too close, Link."

The Hylian sheathed his sword and nodded, continuing through the chamber, Navi providing the light he needed to see. Still shivering, he breathed a sigh as he finally found a door. Opening it, he gave a slight smile of relief as he noticed light on the other side, but as he stepped through and closed the door, the light began to dim, until it was pitch black.

What the hell is this?

Theorising something crazy, Link reached back and opened the door behind him. He let out a gasp at what he noticed.

The light is shining in there, but... the room is gone!

Another shiver was given, and he closed the door, giving a soft gulp as he thought of what this could mean. Suddenly...

"You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?"

A voice seemed to echo throughout the temple, making the Hylian instantly draw his sword and glance around in search of the source of the voice.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but there's no way you'll find me. Now, I suggest you listen to me. That is, unless you wish to face a nasty fate."

His teeth grinding together, he cast a glance over at Navi, the fairy staring back in worry. With a sigh, the boy nodded and sheathed his sword.

"Fine!" he called out. "Tell me what you need to tell me! I have no time for these games!"

The disembodied voice seemed to give a dark chuckle of amusement, enticing a low growl from Link.

"Games? Did someone say 'games'? Heheh... yes, that is essentially what this is. For interest's sake... a deadly game. Now, listen carefully..."

The blond remained silent, the disembodied voice giving another laugh.

"My, my... you are quite obedient; to a fault, I might add. But let's not worry about that now. As you go proceed through this temple, I will be guiding you. Sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly. But, you must also decide each time if I am guiding you to salvation, or to your doom. You must ask yourself in each chamber if I am to be trusted that time around. In this game, you will be required to have faith in your instincts. Now, I suggest you hurry. This chamber will fade in... oh, wow... 4 seconds."

Link let out another growl and jumped forward, almost falling into a trapdoor. He managed to move around it in time, and reached the door, opening it and stepping through; just in time, as well. The chamber faded, just as he had closed the door behind him. The light that was illuminating this chamber began to dim, but instead of going out, it remained, providing a very low illumination.

"Heh... congratulations are in order. I am pleased that you managed to survive. Now, to make things entertaining. There are various enemies within this chamber. You will also note the openings in the floor. Should you fall, you shall be the newest member of this family of the dead. But, you must also take note of the locked door."

Across the chamber, at the far end, Link noticed that the door at the end was indeed locked.

What do you expect me to do?

The voice chuckled again, continuing its explanation.

"Yes, this is of particular interest. There are only two ways through this chamber. The first is to defeat every enemy, but you must do so in a short amount of time. The second is easier, but much more dangerous. If you summon the Tears of Angels, these creatures will be extinguished, but at a cost. This already dim light will also be extinguished, and you must make your way through this chamber without falling to your doom. What will it be?"

Glancing around, Link took note of the amount of enemies within the chamber.

I know that I won't be able to defeat them all in time. I have no choice.

Taking a breath, Link brought out the Ocarina of Time, playing the Song of Storms.

Posted Image

The next chamber dimmed until it became pitch-black, Navi's faint glow the only source of light. Soft moaning could be heard in the room, making Link shudder.

I was hoping to never have to deal with those again...

Link took baby steps, making sure to be silent, lest he be detected by the undead creatures. That was when the voice returned.

"I'd move a bit faster if I were you. But, be mindful of the undead. Be even more wary of the exits. One leads to salvation, the other leads to oblivion. Which one will you select? The left door looks quite good to me... Heheheh..."

Casting a glance to Navi, he nodded.

"Navi..." he said softly, shielding his eyes. "Do it..."

Taking a breath, Navi began to glow a bit brighter, until...

"Yousei Hikari!"

A blinding light shone throughout the chamber, the ReDead and Gibdo that made their home within letting out ear-piercing shrieks as they froze. A burst of light shot up into the ceiling of the chamber, Link finally able to unshield his eyes. He gave a soft gasp at what he saw.

Just as I thought! This light is just like the sun! The undead can't handle such light. I'd better hurry.

The room illuminated, Link noticed a treasure chest that lay slightly hidden to the side of the room. Lunging, he forced it open and grabbed out its contents; another scroll, but instead of reading it, he made a beeline for the left door.

"Link!" Navi called out. "Wait! Can we really trust him? He could be trying to trick us."

Placing his hand on the door, the boy shook his head.

"I don't think so, Navi..." he replied. "This is a game to him. He wants us to doubt ourselves. Our first instinct is to not place any trust in him, but if we were to die now, there would be no more entertainment. I'm going in..."

Navi let out a sigh and nodded. Suddenly, the light started to fade, forcing Link to open the door and step through, and just in time. The chamber also began to fade, and as the door closed, vanished completely.

I'm glad it worked out, because I was starting to think I was going insane.

Casting a glance around the room, the boy noticed it was well illuminated. The door at the end of the chamber was also unlocked. In the middle of the room, there was something that appeared to be a shrine. Slowly walking towards it, the blond kept his guard up. There was no prompt from the mysterious voice yet, and that made him nervous.

What am I getting myself into?

The boy took a few more steps forward, and suddenly gasped as a ghost appeared before him. Link could feel the sadness emanating from the spirit as it stared at him.

"What I am, you need not guess..." the ghost spoke softly. "An ancient spirit. No more, no less. Darkness - bringing much despair, sending its evil throughout the air. Alas, I can not do my part, due to the acts of a darkened heart. Move along, and as you go, please be wary of your foe."

The ghost placed a filmy hand over its chest as it faded away. Link lowered his gaze and gave a sigh.

"Well..." he murmured. "This would be the part where I'd receive a charm, but if what that spirit said is true..."

Navi flew in front of Link and nodded.

"I think we have the same theory..." she answered, glancing back over her shoulder to where the ghost previously was. "This darkened heart... maybe it has the charm? Hmmm, in either case, maybe you should take this time to check out the scroll you found in the last chamber?"

Nodding, Link opened the scroll and read the words aloud.

"If light is what you truly seek, find all my friends and then, to you, we'll speak."

Shaking his head at yet another cryptic clue, Link pocketed his newest acquisition, and headed for the door. Preparing to open it up, he tensed as the mysterious voice suddenly called out.

"Are you sure you wish to do that? I must warn you - if you proceed beyond this door, you may see things you're not ready for-- Gah! Those spirits... their incessant rhyming is somewhat hypnotic. Never mind that. I've decided to end this game. Through that door, you will find the answers, but it may be a bit too much for you."

The voice gave a dark chuckle, one that made Link clench his fists. It was a voice that sounded so familiar to him. The voice continued to speak, amused.

"Still, it will entertain me to see your reaction. Come on in. I dare you. Enter, and let us see how you fare..."

Another dark laugh later, and the voice faded into silence. Teeth clenched, Link stepped forward and opened the door. Within the next chamber, he glanced around, sword drawn. Suddenly, he noticed a silhouette before him. Looking at it, he let his eyes adjust, before gasping at what he saw.

"No..." he choked out. "It can't... it can't be! I-Impa?"

Sprawled on the floor was Impa's unmoving body. Blood trailed from her lips and down her chin, forming a small pool beside her head. Kneeling down beside the Sheikah, the blond reached forward, gently feeling the woman's neck for a pulse, but all he could feel was her cold, still flesh. Choking out a gasp, his gaze swivelled to the right as he heard footsteps emerging from the darkness.

"Who's there?" he growled. "Show yourself!"

A soft snicker was given, and as the figure approached, Link's eyes widened. He stumbled back a small distance, falling to the ground. Shaking his head in disbelief and terror, he felt icy cold as those familiar red eyes stared back at him.

"I'm glad you finally made it, my kicsi farkas..."

End of Chapter 11.

• Like 2

Posted Image

Chapter 12: Darkness, Heart of Evil

The figure continued to walk towards Link, smirking devilishly. The hero, while still sitting, backed up further.

"What's the matter, farkas? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Shakily standing to his feet, the blond shook his head once more, unable to believe what he was seeing with his own deep blue eyes.

"N-no way..." he stammered. "I-it's just not possible. You're supposed to be...!"

"Dead? Heh... poor little farkas... you just don't know anything, do you? You may have defeated me once, but did you honestly expect to have seen the last of me? Poor, naive kicsi farkas..."

Link froze as a darkened sword he knew all too well was pointed at him, tip of its blade pressing against his throat. He gulped, staring at his doppelgänger, terrified blue eyes unable to look away from eerie red.

"Well, let me explain, farkas. I was born from the darkness that imbued every creature that lived, including people. Wherever there was darkness, I would grow more powerful. However, I did not have form, until one day..."

The sword didn't move, nor did Link, the boy choosing to listen to the shadowy figure.

"Yes... that one day, when he appeared. He'd learned about my existence... my sealing by the ancient ones, and came to me with an offer that was too good to turn down. He gave me form, and told me that all I needed to do was to kill you.

A wicked smile came to the doppelgänger's face as he recalled the events. His sword remaining pointed at the other boy's neck, he continued.

"I remember accepting, hungry for a chance to be freed from my prison. The form I was given intrigued me. I felt a surge of dark power, as well as the ability to recognise when my prey was near. Then, you showed up and I learned where I had received my power boost. It was from you.

Link's eyes widened a little more, and he shook his head ever so slightly, a move which made the blade of Dark Link's sword gently cut into his skin, a thin line of blood starting to trail down his neck.

"Deny all you want, farkas. It was your darkness that made me stronger. But it wasn't enough, and you defeated me. I can still remember the first blow you landed. It felt something like this."

The blade was withdrawn, but with lightning fast speed, it had sliced down Link's torso. The blond screamed in pain, dropping to his knees. But Dark Link merely moved closer and placed a hand on his shoulder, a dark aura pulsing from him.

"No, farkas... you aren't allowed to die just yet. I want you to feel what I felt... the pain of each slice. But before that, I want what I have craved since you defeated me. Stand up and take arms!"

Breathing heavily, Link did as he was told, standing to his feet. Glancing at himself, he saw that his torso had a massive gash, but it had appeared that his doppelgänger had used magic to prevent a fatal bleed-out. As he drew his sword, he suddenly realised that something, or rather someone, was missing.

"Navi?"

Suddenly hearing a snicker from his other, Link shot a glance over at him. The shadowy figure gave an amused grin, his red eyes gleaming.

"Don't you worry, my kicsi farkas... I didn't harm your precious fairy. On the contrary, she is perfectly fine. I just prevented her from interfering. She's in a dark place, one that she won't be freed from until either I will it, or I am defeated."

Narrowing his eyes, Link tried to hide the fear of facing the dark form that resembled him. The shadowed figure merely laughed at this display.

"Yes... I remember, farkas... You gave me the same glare in the Temple of Water, just before you dealt the final blow. There is however, one major difference."

"Oh?" Link countered, defiantly. "...and what's that?"

Amused, the red-eyed form gave another dark laugh and readied his shadowy sword and shield.

"Quite simple... This time, it will be you that falls."

Clenching his teeth, Link gripped his sword and shield tightly, rushing at the being of darkness.

Posted Image

Blades clashed together as the two fought, Link's eyes narrowed in desperate determination, while his doppelgänger's were full of amusement. Each attack that the blond gave was either parried or dodged, and eventually, the shadow form made a move that made Link freeze.

"Well, there is something quite familiar about this, wouldn't you say, kicsi farkas?"

Standing on the hero's blade, the dark figure smirked down at him, his sword swinging down, making a slight cut at the other male's shoulder, before jumping back, landing on the ground once again to continue the fight.

"Damn it!" Link hissed in pain, though trying to ignore it. "You'll pay for that! I defeated you before, I'll do it again!"

"Really? I would love to see you try..."

The shadowed figure moved forward once again, blade moving swiftly, landing another blow, once more slicing across the boy's chest. Letting out a cry of agony, Link dropped to his knees, blood spilling from his wounds. His head began to feel a bit light.

This isn't good at all. He's... stronger, somehow. I can't keep up with him.

Footsteps approached, making the blond grip his sword and shield tighter. Dark Link tutted as he moved closer, giving a sinister chuckle.

"What's the matter, farkas? Are you accepting defeat so easily? I surely hope you aren't. That would just be too boring."

Breathing heavily, something which hurt to do, given his injuries, Link stood, glaring maliciously at his copy.

"N-no..." he growled. "I won't... give up... not to you..."

The dark figure seemed to smile at this, although the very act made Link shiver.

"Come on, then. Entertain me, farkas."

Taking a few more breaths, the blond lunged forward, swinging his sword with the strength that remained. Dark Link jumped away from it, landing a small cut to the other boy's abdomen. Wincing, the hero jumped back and prepared a spin attack. As he unleashed it, he moved towards his enemy.

I'm almost out of energy...

The shadow form's smirk widened, and just as Link was about to hit him, he shot his hand out, grabbing a hold of the boy's blade. Sapphire eyes went wide as his sword was stopped, locking on to deep ruby, as the dark form snickered.

"You put up a valiant fight... my kicsi farkas."

A loud scream of pain echoed throughout the room, the Shadow Sword piercing through the blond's chest. Eyes locked on each other, although there seemed to no longer be any amusement within Dark Link's. As he removed his blade from the blond's chest, watching as the boy dropped to the ground in front of him, he gave a soft sigh, frowning down at him.

"I had hoped for something a little more entertaining. You have disappointed me, farkas. I'm afraid that the time has come... for your eternal slumber."

Standing over the shallowly breathing Link, he lifted his sword high, and glanced down at him.

"Viszlát, kicsi farkas."

Instead of bringing his sword down, the dark form stopped, noticing a moisture in the boy's eyes. Watching as the blond took a sharp breath, he froze as he heard the boy's choked words.

"G...Gano...ndo...rf... has... won..." he wheezed. "S...orr...y... ever...yo...ne..."

Red eyes glanced down at him, the shadow figure standing in place.

"So, he really is back. She was telling the truth..."

Dark Link's eyes suddenly glanced over at Impa's unmoving form, his dark hands tightening around his Shadow Sword. A low growl was given as he suddenly turned his attention back to Link, kneeling down before him. He produced a charm, which he had appropriated from the spirit in the previous room. Looking down at Link's fading blue eyes, he placed the charm into his hands, before placing his own hand over the top of it.

"She told me that he returned... that he had conquered once again. I did not believe her. She told me you would be coming here, to regain the power of the Sage of Darkness. I told her that I would not allow it. She gave no resistance as I took her life."

Link's breathing began to slow, his eyes flickering to a close. The shadow figure closed his own eyes and concentrated.

"No, farkas... it is decided. You will not die here. Instead, you will now take the power of darkness that I hold, and take revenge on that man. Vengeance that I can only take through you."

The shadow form gave a wide grin as he began to shimmer, the charm beginning to sparkle in unison. As he faded, a soft chuckle echoed through the room.

"Do not falter, my kicsi farkas. Grant me my vengeance."

As he disappeared, Link's eyes shot open, and he jumped to his feet, staggering as he stood. Giving his form a lookover, he noticed that the cuts inflicted on him had healed, though his clothes were a little worse for wear. Looking up, he glanced around, eyes suddenly looking down at Impa's lifeless body. The boy gasped as it began to fade, and as she vanished, he suddenly noticed a faint glow a few metres away.

"N-Navi?" he choked out. "Is that...?"

The glow moved, and sure enough, it approached quickly, Navi now hovering before him, looking confused.

"Link?" she murmured. "What happened? The last thing I remember was entering the chamber, and then, darkness."

Shaking his head, Link closed his eyes and took a breath.

"I don't know, Navi..." he replied. "I could have sworn that... I was fighting him again. I was defeated... but... I'm somehow... alive."

Navi glanced over at the blond, not making a sound as the magical blue light surrounded them, transporting them out of the temple. As he rematerialised at the cemetery, Link's eyes shot open as a voice echoed in his mind.

"You will know soon enough, my farkas."

End of Chapter 12.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Posted Image

Chapter 13: Desert of Illusion

Golden sparkles joined together to form the Hylian and his fairy companion, the former appearing in mid-air and dropping to the ground with a thud. The sandstorm in the area was fierce, the boy needing to shield his eyes.

"Navi!" he called over the howling winds. "What the hell happened? Why aren't we near the temple?"

The fairy, holding on to Link for dear life, lest she be blown away, shook her head.

"I don't know!" she responded, raising her voice to a level that the boy could hear. "Maybe the sandstorm is interfering with the warp? If that's the case, things may be much more dire than I expected!"

Link's eyes narrowed. He didn't like the sound of that.

Oh well... there's not much I can do. I need to get to the temple.

Glancing around, the Hylian gasped.

"Crap!" he hissed. "I can't see very far... I don't know where we are, or the direction of the temple!"

Teeth clenched tightly, the blond balled his hands into fists, glancing around some more in an attempt to ascertain his location.

Maybe if I try... the Eye of Truth?

Bringing out his magical item, Link gazed through it, but nothing appeared.

"Damn it!" he spat out. "I thought for sure that ghost may have been around!"

Realising that luck wasn't on his side, Link put the Eye of Truth away, before focusing on a random direction.

"That way!" he called out, pointing. "We'll go that way! C'mon, Navi!"

The Hylian began walking in the direction he'd indicated, continuing to shield his eyes from the sand being whipped at his face. Navi followed in silence, but the two friends could not help but have a bad feeling about what they were doing. Link cast a glance over at his fairy companion.

This probably isn't such a good idea...

The duo continued on for about 20 minutes, but they still didn't seem to have made any progress.

If anything, the sand seems to have intensified.

A feeling of utter dread came over the boy as he attempted to figure out where he was.

I'm totally lost... and if what is said about becoming lost in the desert is true...

Gulping, the boy glanced over at Navi, the fairy staring back, a look of concern on her face.

"We're lost..." she murmured worriedly. "...aren't we?"

Opening his mouth to answer, Link suddenly was caught by surprise as the sandstorm intensified, completely blocking his field of vision.

Damn it! It feels like the sand is... suffocating... me...

Feeling lightheaded, the boy dropped to his knees, before collapsing to the scorching sand beneath him. As he faded into unconsciousness, a single thought went through his mind.

I am such a fool... this is the end...

Posted Image

Moisture. The boy could feel moisture against his forehead. Eyes slowly opening, he found himself in a dimly lit room.

How... did I get here?

Weakly casting a glance around, Link jolted as a voice spoke out.

"You're awake..." the soft, mysterious voice said. "It's a good thing I found you when I did."

Footsteps approached, and a familiar Sheikah form emerged from the darkness. Golden hair was brushed to the side in a gesture of discomfort.

"I was worried..." Sheik continued, not meeting Link's gaze. "When I felt the power of water fluctuate, and then join yours, I expected your arrival back at the Temple of Time. You didn't return."

Lowering his gaze, Link began to feel guilty, remembering what Sheik had requested of him, back when this quest had begun. A tiny aura joined the Sheikah, Navi's voice suddenly being heard.

"It wasn't his fault..." she mumbled. "Link has been... through so much. He's lost so many loved ones already. He..."

"It's okay..." Sheik interrupted. "It was not my intent to incite guilt upon you both. I perfectly understand your turmoil. I only meant to relay my sincere relief that you are safe."

As Link glanced back up at Sheik, he noticed a faint red glow on the other male's cheeks. As the other glanced up though, the colour had faded, and a stoic look was on his face.

"Link..." he continued. "As you no doubt have already discovered for yourself, the path to the Temple of Spirit is unchartable, due to the intense sandstorms."

Sapphire met ruby, as the Hylian nodded. The two gazed intently at one another, before Sheik cleared his throat.

"Well..." he explained. "I must inform you of an alternate way to enter the temple. An alternate route that happens to begin from this very place."

Glancing around the room, Link carefully took note of the inscriptions on the wall. They seemed to resemble the script on the walls of the Temple of Spirit.

"About this place..." the hero murmured. "Where is it, exactly? I never saw it during... that time."

Their eyes meeting again, Link watched as the Sheikah gave a slight smile.

"Of course not..." was the reply. "With good reason, too. You see, this particular shrine is usually hidden, but in times of great peril, it makes itself visible to those who have a pure desire to make it to the temple, when there is no way of accessing it normally."

Navi flew down to Link and checked him over, watching cautiously as the boy began to stand.

"So, what you're saying..." the fairy responded. "...is that the ancient ones who created the temple also created a secret passage... a back-door if you will... to aid the chosen to the temple?"

Sheik nodded, keeping his gaze on Link.

"Precisely..." the Sheikah replied. "Simply enter the chamber, and follow it. You will be led to the entrance of the Temple of Spirit. But be wary: the chamber is pitch-dark, and trap-laden. You must exercise extreme caution, and find a way to make it through."

Suddenly stepping forward, Sheik took a gentle hold of Link's shoulders and gave an enigmatic smile.

"I believe you can do it..." he continued. "I have faith in you, Link. I must go now, but take care. When you manage to obtain the power of spirit, I hope you will return to see me. I will be waiting for you where we met. Until then, Link."

Releasing Link's shoulder's, the Sheikah took a few steps back, before raising his hand. Knowing what was to come, Link shielded his eyes, just in time as the other boy thew down a Deku Fruit. In an instant, he had vanished, leaving Link and Navi alone in the chamber.

"Well..." the fairy said after several moments of silence. "Where do you suppose we find the entrance to this chamber?"

With a thorough glance, Link suddenly noticed a section of wall with ancient markings of unknown design. Approaching, he placed a hand on it, stepping back with a gasp as the wall began to move, creating a doorway into a dark chamber.

"Well..." the boy muttered. "I guess this is it."

Stepping inside, with Navi following beside him, the blond let out another gasp as the wall moved back over the makeshift doorway, plunging the chamber into absolute darkness.

"Yousei Hikari!"

Navi had called out before Link could even utter another sound. A small orb of light appeared, shining bright enough for the hero to see. Several switches were laid out across the floor, all of them undoubtedly activating one of the deadly traps. Link avoided the switches, but suddenly came to a stop.

"Navi..." he said, his voice laced with an urgent tone. "Get into my hat."

The fairy blinked, but Link continued, not giving her a chance to ask.

"I can tell that there are even more traps ahead, but there's no obvious trigger. I think the floor itself may be the trigger. I'm going to run, as fast as my legs will let me. I won't allow you to get hurt, so please... get into my hat."

Staring at the boy for a moment, Navi suddenly nodded and flew underneath the boy's cap, taking gentle hold of his hair.

"Okay..." her muffled voice called out. "I'm ready."

Taking a deep breath, the blond suddenly took of into a full sprint, racing for the exit.

End of Chapter 13.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Chapter 14: Temple of Spirit

Many traps activated as Link raced towards the exit. Arrows shot out at him, and he managed to barely dodge them. Trapdoors leading into spiked pits opened up, but the Hylian managed to jump over them all in time. Such was the determination in his heart.

I've come too far to fail now!

A Great Staltula began to drop from a hole in the ceiling, but Link managed to roll forward, dodging it with great speed. Returning to his feet without slowing down, the boy aimed his Longshot back and fired, giving a satisfied grin as he heard the overgrown spider hiss in defeat, fading into smoke.

It's right ahead! I can make it!

As he continued to rush forward, his eyes suddenly widened as the ceiling ahead became spiked, and began to fall to the ground. Pouring on the speed, the Hylian let out a determined yell, lunging for the doorway. He narrowly managed to make it through, the spiked ceiling slamming down behind him.

"Spirits..." he groaned, breathing heavily. "That was way too close. Navi, I think it's safe to come out now."

The fairy peeked out from under Link's hat, before flying out in front of him and giving a relieved sigh.

"Are you okay?" she asked worriedly. "Did you get hurt at all?"

The boy shook his head and gave a slight smile.

"No..." he replied, to which Navi smiled back in response. "I just... need to catch my breath..."

The fairy nodded, before glancing around. Her good mood suddenly vanished as she noticed something troubling.

"Uh, Link..." she murmured. "There doesn't seem to be a way out of this chamber."

Having caught his breath, Link stared around and noticed that indeed, they seemed to be boxed in. A strange statue stared at him. Making a face at it, he glanced around the chamber, suddenly noticing a nearby inscription.

"Let's see here..." he muttered, inspecting the scrawled text. "Only one with sacred sight can leave this hall of endless night. However, be thee surely warned, be sure thou art rightly adorned. Without the strength of golden glove, thou shalt never see the land above. Hmmm... cryptic."

Puzzling over the clue, the green-clad male sat down, cross-legged on the floor. He rested his right cheek on his hand, thinking out loud.

"It's obvious that sacred sight means the Eye of Truth..." he murmured. "I have that. Golden Glove can only mean the gauntlets... but I don't have them... they don't fit me yet..."

Standing up again, he stared at the statue. Without saying a word, he brought the Eye of Truth up and peered through it. Sure enough, the midsection of the statue revealed a heavy stone block. Narrowing his eyes, he cast a glance at his fairy partner.

"Navi?" he pondered. "Any ideas?"

The fairy gave an enigmatic smile and shook her head.

"Try pushing it, maybe?" she suggested. "You're much stronger than you give yourself credit for, Link. Go ahead, try it. I believe in you."

Giving his own smile in response, he reached for the stone block, pushing with all his might. A golden glow formed around his wrists as he pushed, causing the boy to gasp.

I still have the power, even without the gauntlets?

His smile returning, Link continued to push the block, grinning from ear to ear as the block moved into place, the statue beginning to move to the side. With a nod to Navi, he began to walk forward.

"We're in!" he cheered. "The entrance to the Temple of Spirit!"

Sure enough, he was standing inside the entrance hall, in front of the serpent statue which read If you desire the future, return with the power of silver that was received in the past. He scanned the room with his gaze, his expression solemn once again.

"Let's go..."

Posted Image

Damn it! We're lost!

The Hylian glanced around the sealed room, his eyes narrowed. It hadn't taken him long to lose his bearings. Navi hovered beside him, a look of exasperation on her face.

"Don't tell me..." she muttered. "Lost again?"

The boy gave a sheepish smile and shrugged his shoulders.

"Sorry..." he mumbled. "It's changed so much. This place is so confusing, with so many trick chambers. It's almost as if this place is... a tomb."

Suddenly, the light within the room began to fade, the blond drawing his sword and taking up a defensive posture. From the centre of the chamber, a small orb began to shimmer, brightening as it took up shape. Blinking, Link sheathed his weapon in realisation.

"It is..." he breathed out. "It is a tomb... the resting place... of the ones that came first..."

Staring at the orb as it formed a ghost, a sad smile came to the boy's face, the spirit mirroring his expression, extending its translucent arms.

"You have searched both far and wide..." the spirit said softly. "Facing dangers from every side. As you know, this sacred space is our final resting place. We had hoped our peace would last, but betrayal spread in that distant past. Now, the spirits feel despair. Evil power flows through the air. But with the courage you know best, please guide us to eternal rest."

A charm suddenly appeared in the ghost's hand, adorned with the symbol of spirits. Gently, Link took the charm into his hand and stared at it. Remembering all the loss he had suffered in each previous temple, he began to feel a sudden chill. Looking back up at the spirit, he gave a slight nod.

"I know what I must do..." the boy murmured. "But... I don't understand why..."

The ghost's smile widened.

"At this time, you cannot know..." it said in its whispery voice. "...but keep your courage as you go. Break the curse upon our friend and in due time, you'll understand."

The ghost faded, leaving Link to contemplate its words.

What could this all mean? Even better, how am I supposed to leave this chamber?

A soft chuckle sounded within his mind.

Oh, come now, farkas. The answer lies within the darkness. Embrace it.

Eyes widening, the blond gasped as he saw an apparition of himself appear before him. The glowing red eyes that met his showed an amused gleam.

Allow darkness to bring you to the solution. As the light fades, you will feel the way back. Otherwise, you know the only other way to go.

His doppelgänger vanished, and the boy instantly realised the truth.

He and I really are one now. I didn't just imagine it. So that must mean...

Navi glanced worriedly at Link, noticing the boy had a faraway look in his eyes. But before she could utter a sound, the Hylian glanced at her, before closing his eyes.

"Open your heart..." he muttered to himself. "Open your heart... to darkness."

Navi let out a cry as Link suddenly darkened, actually becoming his doppelgänger. Eyes opening, he smirked up at Navi.

"Don't despair, fairy... I have no intention to harm you, or my kicsi farkas. He needed my help to find a way out of this chamber."

Shaking, the fairy remained silent, watching as the shadowy form searched the room, giving a satisfied chuckle as he found what he was after.

"Ah, who would have thought that the only way out was inside a sarcophagus? I say, this is awfully familiar to me."

Casting a glance up at Navi, he nudged his head towards the sarcophagus, indicating for the fairy to join him in entering it. As he lay down, Navi reluctantly joining him, he let his eyes close. Suddenly, the bottom dropped away and he fell.

Okay, farkas... I return you to yourself. You can thank me later.

Dropping into another chamber, the darkness around Link began to ebb, revealing his true form. Eyes opening, he glanced around to notice a treasure box right in front of him, a door on the other side of the chamber. Fighting back a smile as Navi hovered in front of him and checked him over, he opened the treasure box, lifting out a scroll.

"Let's see..." he murmured. "If light is what you hoping for, my friends and I shall tell you more. Hnn... what is it with these cryptic...--wait, maybe the ones that came first are the clue. If that is the case, there's only one more thing to do."

Casting a glance at Navi, the boy finally allowed his smile to show.

"Navi..." he continued. "We're almost there. All I have to do..."

"Come on, Link..." the fairy interrupted. "We both know what must be done."

With a sigh, Link let his eyes fall upon the charm he had received from the spirit, before gripping it tightly. Walking forward, he opened the door to the final chamber and stepped through. As the door closed behind him, he tensed as a blade came whizzing straight for his face.

End of Chapter 14.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 15: Spirit, Heart of Evil

Chapter 15: Spirit, Heart of Evil

*CLANG!*

The blade bounced off the hero's own, the blond acting with lightning-quick reflexes and raising his sword just in time. His attacker hissed and jumped backwards, glaring at him with eerily glowing eyes. The assailant's fiery red hair whipped through the air upon landing.

"Impressive..." was the spat out response. "But, don't think it ends here."

Staring back at his attacker from across the room, Link pointed the tip of the sacred blade at his foe.

"I wouldn't entertain such a thought..." he replied, eyes narrowing. "...and what of you, Nabooru?"

The Gerudo gave a low growl, drawing a second blade and hunching down in attack posture.

"How dare you!?" she snarled, swinging one of her scimitars angrily in front of her. "Speaking to me as though we are friends..."

Link actually snickered, making Nabooru narrow her eyes even more.

"But we are..." he all but taunted. "We are friends, Nabooru."

The thief gave another snarl, to which Link gave a noticably unpleasant smile. Navi shivered and turned away, missing the eerie red that momentarily flashed in the Hylian's eyes.

"C'mon, Nabooru..." he baited. "Embrace it. Delight in our friendship. The Gerudo puppet and the Hylian saviour. It's such a wonderful friendship."

Golden eyes narrowed to hateful slits, the Gerudo gripped the handles of her scimitars as tightly as she could.

"That's it!" she hissed. "You're dead now!"

The boy made no attempt to move as the thief launched into attack. She jumped towards him,swinging one of her blades.

"Pitiful..." Link muttered, parrying the attack with astonishing ease. "If you want to attack, at least give me a challenge."

The second scimitar was swung low, the Gerudo hoping to catch her foe off guard.

*CLANG!*

Once again, two blades met, Link pushing against it with strength that Navi hadn't seen him exert.

What's going on with him? He's not acting like himself.

The fairy blinked as the boy turned his head to face her. His taunting grin had faded by that time, but his eyes were off. They were no longer their usual sapphire colour, but instead, a dark red. Once again, Navi shivered.

Link... is he controlling you again?

No answer was given to her inner thoughts as the boy suddenly turned his attention back to his female assailant. With a low grunt, he pushed her back, making it appear seemingly effortless. The woman glared at him questioningly.

"Impossible..." she growled. "How can you have such strength? You're a mere child. I am a warrior huntress. I am far superior to you, so answer me... How can you possess such strength?"

Link's eyes glowed brighter for a split second and a slight smirk appeared on his lips.

"Poor little puppet..." the boy purred. "Needing the answers to be given to her. Very well, I suppose I can humour you..."

The Hylian took a step closer to her, his eyes glowing once more. As she watched warily, Link's smirk faded.

"It is quite simple. I no longer fight alone."

Nabooru was given no warning as the blond suddenly lunged at her with lightning agility. Sword raised high, he quickly brought it down towards her head.

*THUNK!*

sig_sep.png

Nabooru's eyes were wide as the blade of evil's bane met its target with precision accuracy. She staggered back a few steps, the Hylian silently returned the Master Sword into its scabbard, and examined his handiwork.

"Link..." the Gerudo choked out. "You..."

The blond nodded, staring blankly at the Gerudo's forehead, his eye colour returning to its original blue. Nabooru's jewel was cracked right down the middle. A moment later, it fell off her head and shattered onto the floor. Shaking away the dizziness she felt, Nabooru stared back at Link.

"Thank you..." she murmured in disbelief. "You actually managed to break the spell on me, but how did you... how were you aware of...?"

A slight smile came to the boy's face as he stepped forward.

"It's like I said..." he answered. "I no longer fight alone. I used this to trace the darkness that corrupted you. It manifested within your tribal jewel. I'm sorry... I had no choice but to destroy it."

Nabooru shook her head and grinned at Link.

"Think nothing of it, kid..." she assured. "I would much rather my heirloom destroyed than to serve that foul man."

The Hylian's smile faded instantly, and he lowered his gaze. The Gerudo blinked, staring at him in confusion.

"What?" she demanded. "What's on your mind?"

With a sigh, Link held out the Spirit Charm, glancing back up at the ruby-haired woman.

"The others are no more..." he admitted softly. "Their power is mine. I was forced to eliminate them... one after another... in order to break their curse. With their last breath, they bestowed upon me their power, which manifested in a charm of similar design."

The Gerudo remained silent, watching Link as he sighed and continued.

"In other words..." he mumbled. "I am required to gain the power of the sages through these charms. I... I need your strength, but..."

"But..." Nabooru interrupted. "If I do that, I must give up my life force."

It wasn't a question, and Link knew it. He understood that Nabooru knew what had to be done. But, he just couldn't bring himself to ask her.

Yeah, sure... that will work splendidly. "Oh, Nabooru. Would you mind kindly just dying and leaving me with your power? Thanks, that would be ever so kind..." I can't ask her to--

"Okay..." the woman answered, chuckling as she noticed Link drag himself out of his thoughts. "I'll do it. Whatever it takes to stop him once and for all."

Throat suddenly feeling dry, he gently ran his fingers over the charm, unable to move a step closer.

I know it's hard, kicsi farkas... but it must be done.

Jolting as he heard the voice of his darker half, the boy stared up at Nabooru, who gave the boy a warm smile and stepped towards him.

"Link..." she said softly, extending her hand towards him. "Accept this gift... and use it to bring an end to the evil."

Nabooru and the charm began to shimmer. Closing her eyes as she began to feel lighter, the Gerudo gave what sounded like a content sigh.

"Thank you, Link..." she murmured, smiling a bit wider. "You've helped me yet again and so, this time, I will aid you."

Link's eyes began to well with tears as his friend took his hand in hers, eyes opening to meet the boy's gaze.

"Don't cry..." she playfully scolded, her own eyes starting to tear up. "You are too handsome a man for that."

As the thief vanished, Link dropped to his knees, Navi hovering beside him sympathetically. The fairy gave a small smile as the boy wiped his eyes with a hand. The charm merged with him, and he stared up at the ceiling as if gazing at the sky.

"Thank you, Nabooru..." he whispered. "Thank you for everything."

Suddenly, he was surrounded by a familiar blue light, which escorted him from the temple. Outside, he glanced around, giving a tiny smile as he saw the sandstorms had ceased. Navi rested on his shoulder.

"The evil power has left the desert..." the fairy said. "Perhaps we should return to the Temple of Time and speak to Sheik?"

With a nod, Link brought out the Ocarina of Time. Placing it to his lips, he played the Time's Phrase, closing his eyes as the magical energy lifted him from the desert, sending him to the Temple of Time.

End of Chapter 15.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No chapter update as of yet, but I just wanted to throw this out there:

TOF-COVER.jpg

Indeed, I have printed out everything I've written so far. The first 15 chapters, as well as a cover for the story, as you can see in the picture. Hunter Reikaz isn't my actual name, but since it's the name of a few of my characters, I've adapted it also as a pen name.

• 10 months later...

Finally, after 10 months of writer's block, I was able to find my muse once again, this time, in the form of Arcaith. Thanks to some discussion with him, as well as passing some ideas back and forth, I was able to complete chapter 16. I hope you enjoy it! :D

Chapter 16: Time's River ~500 Years Ago~

Chapter 16: Time's River ~500 Years Ago~

The Temple of Time was eerily quiet as Link and Navi returned. The blond began looking around for Zelda's remnant.

"Sheik?" he called out. "Are you here?"

Absolute silence was his reply, and the teen shivered. Glancing up at his fairy companion, he shook his head.

"He doesn't seem to be here..." he murmured. "But he told me to come visit him."

Navi folded her tiny arms in front of her as she thought.

"Maybe he was held up?" she offered. "Or maybe, had something important to do?"

With a hesitant nod, Link frowned, and began searching around the temple. However, he still could not find any sign that Sheik was around.

"It's as if..." the Hylian began. "...as if he were never here."

Approaching the altar, the blond leaned forward, resting his hands on the stone. With a sigh, he closed his eyes to think.

"Damn it all..." he hissed. "What's going on? What am I supposed to-..."

Link was cut off by a gasp from Navi, his eyes snapping open as he felt a strange power surging from within. Before he could act, the empowered charms he carried began to float around him, circling him. They all began to glow with a magical light, and as the last one lit up, they moved atop the altar.

"Wh-what the...?" the boy choked out. "What is this sorcery?"

Offering no explanation, the charms began to ebb, shooting their light towards the altar. Suddenly, a low rumble was given, and the altar slowly began to rise upward, revealing a hidden stairwell that led down, deeper into the temple.

"Wow..." Navi breathed, once the altar had stopped moving, the charms ceasing their glow and returning to the boy's pockets. "That was a thousand kinds of weird. Do you think we should... see what's down there?"

The green-clad boy offered a nod as his response, drawing his sword just in case.

"It may be a trap..." he said. "...or Sheik could be down there, or maybe... maybe it hides some awesome treasure."

Taking a deep breath, Link began to traverse down the stairwell, glancing around warily. As he approached the bottom, he moved forward, only to blink in confusion.

"Well..." he muttered. "That seemed kinda... pointless?"

The chamber Link found himself in seemed to lead nowhere. His eyes narrowed, and he sheathed his weapon.

"Damn it!" he spat out, angrily. "What the hell is going on?"

Navi gave a sigh, realising the boy's frustration, her aura glowing a little brighter in an attempt to make him feel better. She blinked as her companion suddenly moved towards the back wall, noticing something strange about it.

"Call this a hunch..." he said, voice almost a whisper. "...but..."

Bringing the Ocarina of Time into his hands, he raised the instrument to his lips, before closing his eyes and playing a familiar melody.

The Royal Family's Crest... it appears before me. So... this song...

As he finished playing, Link opened his eyes, just in time to see a light shine before him, a doorway appearing in its place. As Link put his ocarina away, he glanced over at Navi, before approaching the newly appeared entrance. Reaching out, he gripped the handle and opened the door.

sig_sep.png

As the door opened, Link found himself stepping back in surprise at what he saw.

"How is that possible?!" he exclaimed. "The inside looks... new!"

Confused, the boy gaped, seemingly unable to form any more words. A strange rippling effect appeared in the doorway, causing Link to jump back and narrow his eyes in suspicion.

"What was that?" he growled out. "An illusion? But it looks so... real..."

Navi flew next to Link and stared through the doorway.

"There's no mistaking that energy..." she replied. "That can only be a portal, but not just any old portal. It leads to another time. Since it looks rather well preserved, I can only assume it leads to a long time in the past."

The green-clad male stared at his fairy companion in disbelief.

"Y-you mean..." he stammered. "...back in time? How far back?"

The fairy shook her head solemnly.

"I don't know..." she confessed. "All I know is that if you go through this doorway, you will have to go back alone."

Sapphire eyes widened in shock.

"W-what do you mean?" the boy demanded. "Why won't you come with me?"

Navi gave a sad smile, avoiding eye contact with the Hylian.

"It's a law of the gods..." she said softly. "Fairies are forbidden to travel to a point of time that predates their existence. If I were to follow you, I would meet oblivion."

His gaze softening, Link lowered his glance, staring at the floor.

"I see..." he mumbled, giving a soft sigh of defeat. "I've grown so used to your company. It will be strange to go somewhere without you."

The fairy flew closer to Link, causing the boy to meet her gaze. Placing her tiny hand on his cheek, she smiled wider, more sincere.

"Hey, hey..." she replied. "You will be just fine without me. I believe in you, Link."

Offering his own smile in return, the blond nodded, turning back to face the doorway.

"Okay..." he murmured. "So, do I just... step through?"

Navi made a small sound of affirmation, nodding her head once.

"Yes..." was the immediate response. "Just step on through as you would any other door."

The green-clad boy continued to stare at the door, before casting a glance at his fairy friend.

"Well..." he breathed. "I guess I'll see you soon."

Link took a few steps towards the door, and just as he was about to step through, he stopped, glancing down at the floor.

"Hey..." he mumbled. "Navi?"

Hearing Link's troubled sounding voice, the fairy flew towards him, hovering next to his face.

"Link?" she asked. "What is it?"

The boy glanced towards the fairy, his expression unreadable. For several moments, it remained that way, until a small smile could suddenly be seen.

"Be careful..." he answered. "...okay?"

Blinking in response, Navi suddenly gave her own smile, her cheeks glowing a pale red. Glancing downward, she nodded shyly.

"Y-yeah..." she softly murmured. "You too, Link."

Taking a deep breath, Link stepped through the doorway, riding the rapids of Time's River back to the past, leaving Navi alone in the present. The doors closed behind him as he arrived, a soft voice whispering in his mind.

I never thought I'd be back here again. Well, kicsi farkas, I hope you're prepared for what lies ahead.

Link's only response to the voice in his head was a silent smirk.

End of Chapter 16.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And yet, another chapter is completed. Special thanks once again to Arcaith for providing feedback. I find it of utmost value, my friend. :3

Chapter 17: Temple of Time

Chapter 17: Temple of Time

As Link wandered around the chamber, he gave a low whistle, earning a chuckle from the voice within.

Very interesting, farkas. You seem to have taken a vested level of intrigue in this place. Tell me, is it as you imagined it?

Blinking as an apparition of his darkness appeared before him, the blond suddenly grinned, glancing around some more.

"Yes..." he breathed. "...and so much more."

A scornful snicker was the boy's response, causing him to snap his glance back at the translucent form that stood before him. It seemed as if the dark male were filled with feelings of resentment. As Link took a step forward, the dark form held a hand up, stopping the Hylian in his tracks.

Concerned for me? Save it. But I guess it's obvious that I have a severe distaste for this place. I suppose you'll want to know why, hmm?

A smirk appeared on Link's face and he folded his arms across his chest.

"Well..." he responded. "The thought had occurred to me."

An equal smirk was his reply, the dark phantom mirroring his stance, red eyes glowing eerily.

You've developed a sense of humour from me, I see. Very well. All will be revealed to you, but instead of telling you, I'll let you witness events as they unfold. Since we've travelled about 500 years into the past, I'm sure you will see events as they happened.

The dark form merely gestured for Link to move forward, before vanishing, returning to his place within the hero's mind. Giving a shrug, the blond pressed forward, entering the next chamber, gasping in surprise at what he saw. In the centre of the chamber, a young man who looked a few years older than he was standing, staring at a group of five. His black hair seemed to blow in an eerily absent breeze, crimson coloured eyes locked on each of the five standing before him.

"You heard what I said..." the mysterious man said. "I claim this temple as my own, for my people."

One of the five, a man clad in majestic robes, swung his hand down in outcry.

"Thine desires art overmany, Ulzo!" the robed man exclaimed. "Thou durst desire such heresy?"

Link stood back, watching from the shadows as the other four, a Zora, Goron, Kokiri and Gerudo, agreed with the robed man. The dark haired male simply shook his head in dismay.

"As usual, so small-minded..." the one referred to as Ulzo growled, scowling. "You know what is happening, Taoto. My kind have fought in countless wars to protect the Holy Power. As a result, there are but few of us left. If I cannot be permitted to allow us to replenish our numbers in safety, in time, my people will no longer exist."

The Gerudo woman looked very uncomfortable, seeming to sympathise with Ulzo.

"Taoto..." she murmured, placing a hand on the robed man's arm. "Is it really so unreasonable?"

Taoto seemed to ponder for a moment, before turning his gaze to the Gerudo.

"Vanoori..." he murmured finally. "Thou dost believe Ulzo art truthful?"

Vanoori seemed to be lost for a response, so Taoto faced the dark haired male once more.

"Very well..." was the reply. "Thou canst tarry hither, to preserve thy race."

Turning away, the robed male glanced at the other four, before nodding. Suddenly, he spun around, hands beginning to glow with a yellow aura.

"Henceforth..." his voice suddenly boomed. "...thou shall tarry, whither nary a soul shall tread, evermore!"

The light enveloped Ulzo, who cried out in surprise and fear, but as he looked to the others for support, he was dismayed to find that they too, were using their powers against him. His cries went ignored as he slowly began to turn into a shadow. Eyes narrowing all of a sudden, he let out a low growl.

"I won't forget this betrayal..." he hissed. "One day, I shall escape this prison, and when I do, all of the world shall fall into darkness."

Ulzo disappeared completely, his form becoming sealed as a motionless shadow on the floor. Lowering his arms, Taoto spun around and began to walk away, the other four following. Noticing they were approaching his direction, Link made sure to hide in the shadows, crouching low to the ground. The five walked right past him, not noticing the young boy hiding mere metres away.

"Seal the lower chambers..." Taoto commanded as he walked through the nearby door. "Nary a soul must find the final resting place of the Sage of Darkness."

sig_sep.png

To say that Link was shocked would have been the understatement of the millennium. A more appropriate term would be flabbergasted. As the shadow form manifested itself once again, the blond turned to face him.

"That was..." he choked out. "But... you... you mean, you were...?"

The shadow nodded, frowning as he stared over at his past counterpart, still frozen in place. His eyes glowed with an expression that Link couldn't fully comprehend.

Yes... I am Ulzo, the former Sage of Darkness. I was sealed in this chamber 500 years ago... from your perspective. I swore I would get my revenge, but it would take 5 centuries before I could act on my plans. One day, I was visited by that man. That vile cur...

Eyes narrowing, Ulzo clenched his shadowed hands into fists, before continuing with his explanation.

He promised me my freedom... said that if I could destroy the one with ties to the sages, I would be free. Oh, how I drank of his promises. I would do anything to escape my prison. I agreed, and let him free me from the walls where I was trapped. He took me from this place and drew us to the room where you would eventually find me. He then left me there, and said that my target would arrive. He didn't know when, but he would come. But then, he sealed me inside. Once again, I was trapped.

His eyes glowed menacingly, his voice deepening with untempered rage. Ulzo then snapped his glare over at Link.

To pass the time, I began using what was left of my dark power to change the room to suit my feelings. I felt alone, isolated. Free, but trapped... incomplete. I don't know how much time passed. It felt like forever, but before I could lose myself to despair, I felt something. A disturbance in the next room indicated that someone was about to enter. I hid myself away, watching as you entered. I admit that I was shocked to find a boy who looked so much like I once did... but I knew you were the one that the man spoke of. Green clothes and a hat, accompanied by an insufferable fairy.

While Link frowned at the description given about Navi, a sinister smile came to Ulzo's lips, the shadow recalling the events of the broken timeline.

Ah, yes. It was delightful, watching your confusion and surprise at my handiwork... watching you try to figure out how to proceed to the next room. I could taste my freedom, and attacked, but your fairy--no, my apologies... Navi... alerted you to my presence, effectively foiling my surprise attack. You no doubt remember that, my kicsi farkas... in the same vein as I. However, you bested me. Was it because I was too weak? Did I sympathise? I still don't know why, but you defeated me, and broke on through. However, I did not die. Perhaps from the blood that landed on me when I cut you?

Link touched a hand to his chest, remembering the large gash that had been there as a result of that battle. With a shrug, he listened intently, allowing Ulzo to continue.

At any rate, I found myself able to move from the temple from which that fire-haired man imprisoned me, and decided to take revenge against him. But as I built my power, I felt yet another disturbance. Ripples through time. I didn't realise it then, but you had defeated him, and returned to your past to live out your life as it should have been. Somehow immune to the effects of time's river, I decided to return to my old village, only to find that it had been converted into a tomb, through which my temple had become infested with undead. I used my dark power, which was rapidly returning, to keep them at bay, while I waited. Eventually, a descendant made her way into my temple. She had sensed my presence and felt it was time to reveal my destiny.

The shadow lowered his gaze to the ground, seeming somewhat remorseful of what he was about to reveal. Link opened his mouth to speak, but Ulzo continued.

I was infuriated at her implication, but she insisted on continuing. She stated that the one who had promised my revenge would be granted fruit had returned, and would seek out the Sage of Darkness, as she was a threat to his plans. Angered even further, I asserted, rather aggressively, that I was the true Sage of Darkness. She had the cheek to give me an enigmatic smile and tell me that I had to prove myself worthy of holding the power of the sage. Blinded by fury, I assaulted her, and she put up no resistance, allowing me to inflict dire injury on her. With her final breaths, she told me that she had fulfilled her destiny, allowing the rightful sage to return, and that the heir to the power would be arriving shortly. I refused to believe her, even as she died. It was then that I was forced into interacting with you, as you began to doubt your abilities.

A small smile came to his lips as he remembered those dealings with the blond in his mind.

I aided you... lured you to my temple, and subjected you to deadly games, which you managed to triumph over. When I finally faced against you, I thought I was supposed to kill you, just like the last time, but when you revealed that he would win, I realised that the woman was telling the truth. I then discovered that in order to help to defeat him once and for all, you needed the power of the sages, so I joined with you. It's amazing though... I have learned so much about you.

Sapphire met crimson, blinking with confusion and curiosity. The crimson eyes gleamed with amusement.

So, I read your memories. Deal with it. The tree sapling informed you of your heritage as a Hylian... but he was not entirely accurate. It seems we share more than a similar physique. Your blood, is that of a Sheikah.

A sudden gasp was Ulzo's response, and the amused expression instantly faded as Link cried out in protest.

"But..." the blond gasped. "That can't be! I couldn't possibly be a... a Sheikah!"

A resigned sigh was his response.

I bring you the truth, kicsi farkas. However, now is not the time to be debating your true heritage. We're trapped here. That accursed Taoto enchanted the door. It remained that way until the fire-haired man entered and broke the enchantment. But, there may be something you can use. I know of those scrolls you have collected. They were placed by the forebears of the sages of my time. There is one within these chambers. That door over there.

Ulzo pointed over to a nearby doorway, and began moving over to it. Link followed, intrigued.

"How do you know it's still there?" he asked. "Wouldn't Taoto have removed it?"

A low growl was given at mention of Taoto, but instead, the shadow merely provided his response.

Taoto was a forgetful fool! ...my apologies. There's still a lot of anger over what he did. Now, as I was saying, Taoto forgot about the scroll, but it is also possible he left it because we were told it was intended for use by the hero of legend. After a long time, I finally broke free of my stasis, but was still confined to the walls as a shadow. I used this as a means to travel throughout, and found myself in that chamber. The scroll rests there, waiting for the hero. That must mean... you.

Arriving at the door, Link reached out and placed a hand on it, gasping as it faded away, allowing him entrance. Sure enough, waiting on a pedestal in the middle of the chamber that rested behind the now-absent door, was the scroll that Ulzo mentioned. Walking over to it, he lifted it up and read it aloud.

"Light defends against despair..." he read. "My friends and I shall guide you there."

Ulzo folded his shadowed arms over his chest.

Well, that was cryptic. Maybe it's a key of sorts? Try going back to the sealed door?

Shrugging, Link did as the dark form suggested, making sure to pocket the scroll on the way. Arriving at his destination, he placed his hand on the door. For a moment, nothing happened, and just as he was about to move his hand away, the scrolls began to glow. A low rumble could be heard, before the door suddenly reappeared. Casting a grin over at Ulzo, the blond opened the door and ran through, breathing a sigh of relief as he noticed the still-active time gate. Slowly, he approached, but something seemed amiss.

"Is that...?" he murmured, before gasping in shock. "No... no!"

Ulzo barely had enough time to merge back into Link's form, the boy rushing for the gate and leaping through. Feeling himself drifting through time's river, he emerged on the other side. What he saw chilled him to the bone. Slumped near the gate was the battered and bloody form of Sheik.

End of Chapter 17.

• 5 months later...

Whew... took a while, but I finally completed another chapter. Of all of them thus far, this one was the most difficult to write. Writer's block is a bitch. Anyway, enjoy! :3

Chapter 18: Goodbye, My Friend

Chapter 18: Goodbye, My Friends

The boy's legs seemed to grow heavier with each passing moment as he raced to Shiek's side. Kneeling down beside him, Link gently cradled the Sheikah close.

"Sheik!" he gasped out. "Sheik! Please, open your eyes!"

The last remnant of Princess Zelda slowly opened his eyes, a weak smile forming as he recognised the elven boy that held him.

"L-Link..." he wheezed. "Y-you... m-m-made... it..."

A look of hopelessness was Sheik's response. Eyes filling with tears, Link stifled a sob, giving a desperate nod. The petit male smiled a little wider, paying no heed to the blood that drooled down the savage wounds he was a victim of.

"G-good..." he continued. "I-I'm g-g-glad... that you--"

"Enough!" was Link's anguished interruption. "You have to conserve your strength! You have to... you have to!"

Tears freely flowing, Link attempted to clean the blood from Sheik, giving a strained cry as fresh blood continued to seep forth, showing no signs of cease. A gurgling cough came from the Sheikah, who weakly shook his head at Link.

"Too late..." he choked out. "Th-there's... nothing... you c-can do..."

The pained look that showed on Link's face intensified as a trembling hand was lifted, to grip onto the green-clad boy's tunic, undoubtedly staining it with a bloody handprint. Sheik's smile faded.

"It..." the Sheikah resumed. "...h-happened... s-so... quickly... S-s-so... m-many... m-monsters... Held them off... f-for as... l-l-long as... b-but... c-c-couldn't..."

Sheik trailed off, giving very wet-sounding coughs, more blood trickling from the corner of his mouth. Link fussed over him as well as he could, and opened his mouth to speak, but Sheik beat him to it.

"S-so sorry..." he added. "It's... all my... f-fault..."

The blond hero shook his head, cradling the ninja closer, ignoring the additional crimson stains that soaked his tunic.

"No..." he choked out. "It's my fault. I should have been quicker. I took too long to return, and because of that, you..."

Trailing off, the boy found himself unable to restrain his soft, distraught sobs any longer. As he wept, a sudden feeling of dread came to him. Fighting back panic, he scanned around, only now noticing remains of monsters, but with each sight, his panic began to show. Swallowing, he turned back to Sheik, his frantic gaze meeting with the younger boy's.

"Where is she?" he demanded. "Where...?"

The panic the boy felt as the dying ninja averted his gaze increased tenfold, the other blond looking quite, for lack of a better word, guilty.

"I-I'm..." he wheezed. "...s-s-she..."

Voice trailing, the Sheikah expelled a violent fit of coughs, specks of his blood spraying out. Alarmed, Link attempted to fuss over him again, but Sheik weakly swatted his hand away, still keeping his gaze averted.

"...s-saved me..." the ninja continued. "...s-saved the t-t-temple... and... the g-gate."

Although his limbs began to feel even heavier, Sheik lifted his hand and gestured to a nearby monster's cadaver. Turning his gaze, Link stared at the corpse, confused.

"B-but..." he stammered. "Where is she?"

Sheik trembled, hesitantly glancing at Link, before speaking a single word that made the green-clad boy's entire form freeze up.

"...gone..."

sig_sep.png

Time seemed to screech to a halt at that one uttered word. Eyes widened in despair, the green-hatted boy turned to face Sheik, a look of pure disbelief coming to his face. Slowly, he shook his head.

"N-no..." the hero choked out. "It's not... she can't be...!"

As Link tried to find his words, Sheik averted his gaze again, staring over at the monster corpse.

"It... did this..." he replied, trying not to choke with each word. "N-Navi... did what she... c-c-could... t-to heal m-me... but... t-t-too strong..."

Staring back at the boy he cradled in his arms, Link listened as Sheik continued his explanation.

"There was o-only one thing she c-c-could d-do..." the crimson-eyed boy said. "She... f-flew right up t-to it... and... w-w-with all her p-power... d-destroyed the b-beast..."

A strained sob escaped from Link, and he felt like hyperventilating. He could do naught but imagine how hopeless the situation was if Navi had to expend her life force. Staring back over at the beast's remains, it was then that he realised what exactly must have happened.

"I understand..." he said softly. "I was in the past. If the gate was destroyed on this side, I'd have been..."

With another sob, he stared back at the boy in his arms, only to gasp as he saw two crimson eyes staring back into his, a sad smile on their owner's face.

"C-c-couldn't..." the boy coughed out. "...l-let you... c-c-couldn't... l-lose you..."

The Hero of Time felt his cheeks warming as Sheik reached up and weakly cupped his face. Again, Link ignored the blood, reaching up with a hand to place it over Sheik's. Reciprocating the sad smile, the hero listened as Sheik continued.

"I was... b-born from Z-Zelda..." he explained. "This... you already... know... b-but... I never r-r-revealed... h-how I f-felt..."

Unable to articulate a reaction, Link just stared, his cheeks reddening at the sudden revelation.

"L-Link..." he continued. "I... l-love... you..."

Cheeks becoming even redder, Link was taken aback as Sheik leaned up and pressed his lips to the other boy's. Link felt his eyes flutter shut, applying a soft amount of pressure in return. When he felt the pressure slacken, he pulled away and looked at the other boy.

"Sheik?" he began. "Why me?"

There was no response. Sheik's eyes were closed, and when he removed his hand from Sheik's, it slumped onto his unmoving form. Eyes widening, he gave a disbelieving sob, and began gently shaking the lifeless boy.

"Hey, wake up!" he sobbed. "Don't give up, Sheik! I can... get you to a Great Fairy! Please, wake up!"

As Link desperately tried to awaken Sheik, he began to shimmer, before Ulzo appeared before him, placing a shadowed hand on his shoulder.

He's gone, kicsi farkas. There's nothing you could have done.

Glaring up at Ulzo through tearstained eyes, Link shook his head.

"Don't say that!" he snapped, causing Ulzo to whisk his hand away in surprise. "He just needs to..."

Trailing off, the blue-eyed boy broke into mournful sobs. Ulzo sighed, folding his arms over his chest.

I know your pain. You really cared for him, maybe even to the same degree as he did for you, but you shouldn't despair. He didn't seem to lament his fate. On the contrary, he was probably happy to have given his life for you.

Staring back at the shadowed figure, Link sniffled, his doppelgänger giving what seemed to be a smile.

It may seem disheartening now, but remember what you ultimately will achieve.

Blood-red eyes gleamed mischievously, the shadow unfolding his arms and punching a fist into the palm of his other hand.

You're gonna kick Ganny's ass, get the Holy Power, and then, with its radiance, repair the damage he has done. How does that sound, kicsi farkas?

In spite of his despair, the sapphire-eyed boy cracked a smile, nodding in agreement. His smile faded as he lifted Sheik into his arms. Closing his eyes, he concentrated the power of the Sages he had reclaimed.

"O Great Spirits, hear my plea... let my prayers reach out to thee..."

As Link concentrated, his unspoken wishes were answered, as Sheik's lifeless body began to radiate with a bright aura, before suddenly fading out of sight completely. Opening his eyes to empty arms, he gave a sad smile.

Please wait for me. I promise to avenge you, and make Ganondorf pay.

Ulzo said nothing, instead rejoining with Link, the boy walking up the stairs and returning to the main chamber of the temple. The corpses of the various monsters scattered about began to also fade, leaving the temple completely empty, except for Link. Stretching a hand out towards the altar, he watched as it returned to its original position, staring silently at it. Turning away, he continued onward, unsure of where to go next. As he exited the temple, he glanced back inside, taking a deep breath.

Goodbye, my friends...

End of Chapter 18.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.