Professional Lurker Returns; Nobody Notices

Zippy Dippy

Hi. I've been lurking in the zelda modding community for several years (ever since flotonic posted one of his early play as mods, i think the hylian guard, not sure. so pretty long), sometimes trying my hand at a tutorial or two just to test the water and fuel the fire to my big dreams, but nothing major. However, recently i've been hopping around looking for a stable community to keep a keen eye on.

I started out on zelda64, what seemed like the successor to maco, but it doesn't have that kick, y'know? It's like just a bunch of kids with 0 direction who all wanna make the next big mod by themselves, and that's no good. So, i've been looking around, lurking in forums in all sorts of corners and from tons of different eras. I went to spinoutz Z64 forum, mod db,  romhacking.net, etc, but everywhere i go there's always a mention of this place which i never wanted to check because it didn't have zelda in the name .

I mean, this place has all the big names like airkita and ideka and sanguinetti and Zeth and so on. So, is this it? The Holy Grail? A large, mature, stable, Zelda modding community with competent programmers and modders? Is the community as thinly spread as I thought? These are the mysteries!!!

Anyway, in any case I'm an animator with knowledge in game design. I wish I could make my own cool mod but I'm not a C+/ASM wizard so I'm looking to maybe swap some display lists or find a good way to animate actors in OOT so I can test my luck. In the meantime though I can design a fine dungeon so if you want some input i'm the idea guy.

tl;dr I lurk. if you're here i'm probably your biggest fan. nice to meet you.

• Like 1

Hey, nice of you to join us here. :)

A common misconception first of all is that we are a Zelda community. We do have a massive amount of people who are here because of the various Zelda projects and research that have been going on over the years, but this place is more about all video games, not just about Zelda. That being said though, I do hope you enjoy it here. I'm always happy to welcome people into the community.

Nice to meet you! I hope you like this place because i do. You should try Hylian Toolbox that Flotonic made to scale or rotate hiearchys or display lists and to edit a zobj's animations.

I have heard a LOT about Hylian Toolbox, but I have also heard that it is very buggy. In fact. sometimes when I use it the display lists just disappear and won't reappear unless you restart. Unless there's an easy fix for that's gone under my radar, I was wondering if there was something else I could use. Thank you for the recommendation, though.

Hey, nice of you to join us here. :)

A common misconception first of all is that we are a Zelda community. We do have a massive amount of people who are here because of the various Zelda projects and research that have been going on over the years, but this place is more about all video games, not just about Zelda. That being said though, I do hope you enjoy it here. I'm always happy to welcome people into the community.

Darn, Looks like I wasn't right after all! That's okay though, this place looks alright. I think I'll stick around :)

Darn, Looks like I wasn't right after all! That's okay though, this place looks alright. I think I'll stick around :)

Oh, don't misunderstand, while this community is meant to be focusing on all video games, it is obvious that the main focus here is Zelda, considering it's the home of Zelda projects like Ura, and so on. So yeah, we can unofficially call us a Zelda community. :P

Either way, it'll be nice having more people around.

Nice to meet you Zippy! Welcome to GCN and as Shadow Fire said, we are a collective of gamers who like a broad range of games(Reason for the name GCN) but while we may not be a site dedicated specifically to Zelda hacking, we do have a stronger Zelda presence here since a lot of older projects originated here. The forums have been a little on the slow side as of late since most of us hangout on discord which you can find the invite here or you can click it at the top of the site. If you are wanting to start getting involved in Zelda hacking there is several ways you can, first is you can read up on the information on the wikis below. The CloudModding wiki is more up to date regarding information relating to the two games but spinout's wiki is the oldest one and has some pretty good information as well.

CloudModding OOT Wiki

CloudModding MM Wiki

spinout's Z64 Wiki

We also have a tutorial section written by our members which is also a great starting point too! Also don't forget to check out the GCN Modding Section which has a lot of great information and programs written by the community. 

GCN Tutorial Section

GCN Modification Section

I hope this will help get you started and always remember......

BbdUzw4CIAAoFB5.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's always that the more stable communities have other interests, modding always has its ugly side...

But yeah, the main objective is trying to create a co-operative community which is my motive, so I accept even newbies, and yeah there's a lot of kids aspiring to mod too. I started when I was 13 myself, so I get it. Can take some time before you come up with a solid idea, but starting out as the new kid can be awkward, but you learn a lot if you can get some patience. The community gets split, but floats around in different groups until people find a common goal.

Modders don't often share info, so getting everything documented is often a pain and difficult.

It's only because it'd be too easy for another group to steal credit sadly. It happens, but that is human nature.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.