Japanese Characters in a hex editor.

Mallos31

Question

I was hoping someone here had some experience getting Japanese characters to display in ANY hex editor. I've been researching and found that most people apparently use WindHex32 with a character table. When I tried this, it would not show the Japanese characters, but instead a combination of two ASCII characters. (for example, the character ã— in Hiragana comes out as ",µ" without quotes as the Hex identifier is 0x82B5) I could really use a hand here. Thanks guys!  

4 answers to this question

Hex Workshop v4.23, started through AppLocale and set to Japanese, with Hex Workshop set to use the Windows ANSI character set:

eXsLhSU.png

AppLocale needs a workaround to be installed on systems running Vista or higher, as mentioned in the Wikipedia article; running Windows 7 here and it works fine once installed. You can probably get it to work with other hex editors, too, if you start them through AppLocale.

Okay, I might just be dumb here, but I can't seem to figure out how to run Hex Workshop with ANSI. I successfully installed AppLocale, I have Hex Workshop 4.23 as suggested running through it in Japanese mode, but I can't figure out how to change the character set. The internet isn't being too helpful. 

EDIT: Never mind. I got it to work successfully with MadEdit. That one even formats text nicely, so it's good. Thanks! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.