Super Mario Bros 5 (Hack)

!Tommy

So, I might as well help jumpstart a thread. I picked up on Super Mario World hacking and it's actually not too hard as long as you read up on what is out there and have a little imagination. This is basically a private project that I'm working on but I thought I'd show off a bit of previews that I have done so far.

Iggy's Castle Replacement

Yoshi's Island 4 replacement (preview)

Yoshi's Island 3 replacement

I have some remixes of former Mario levels along with a few of my own creations which I actually don't have recorded. The ones recorded here have been remixed from other Mario games, see if you can figure them out. :) Although in Donut Plains, I want to get more creative and put a lot more of my own levels into the game.

• Like 1

Yeah, hacking retro games are always fun, and easier than newer consoles. I have a little type up for individuals interested in hacking Nintendo 64 games. It mostly serves as a synopsis for why corruption isn't a viable method when it comes to N64 reverse engineering.

Most N64 games follow identical data formats, but with a combination of the checksum, multithreading OS, a myriad amount of compressions, N64 CPU's MMU and TLB (not directly mapped/ virtual address "system") along with that hacking Nintendo 64 games can be a lot more difficult/tedious in comparison to older video game systems for those very reasons listed above. The games are not directly memory-mapped from ROM, you cannot use methods of corruption like that with earlier games as you could trigger an access violation by passing the end of a decompression routines buffer which would halt a certain thread, you could break a J instruction and send things like dialog into a permanent loop (However you can locate and NOP the loop), could end up dealing with garbage data, the ROM may not load at all. When it comes to the classical hacking approach of corruption, your best bet is to decompress a ROM first, locate file headers and tinker with them such as changing certain lengths of things. Moreover, your best bet is to learn the low-level language of the Nintendo 64, MIPS. A note along with that, there is a chance you could encounter self-modifying assembly code, but that's not very common...

Hehe, sorry for being off-topic, but any posts/activity on these message boards is very much in need at this point.

Haha, no problem! I was into hacking Ocarina of Time but I sorta put that aside as I kind of lost interest in the game. It's still a great game but for right now, it's just not what I want to work on. Since my fiancee likes this game, I thought it would be fun to hack and make my own levels. In fact I even modified the Yellow Switch Palace to reflect my love to her via coins. But so far except for it being time consuming, I find it kind of fun because you don't have to worry about 3D models and the like. Eventually I'll probably show off other little bits of the hack as I progress through it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.