Important! Restored

Shadow Fire

So, since IPB 4.0 was a colossal crapfest, the forums have been reverted to 3.4. There were a few complications, but for the most part, things are fine. Some of the features that were previously available are currently missing, but they will be restored in the near future.

However, any users that registered after July 23, 2015 will no longer be in the system. In addition, posts, messages, etc that were made after July 23, 2015 are also gone, but I have a backup. If you are requiring a post to be remade, I can post it, and change the topic author. Simply make a request, and I'll do what I can.

• Like 9

Very nice to see the old forums again. The only minor problem is that some less important things (ex. private messages, reputation) appear to have not yet been reimported. Once you have some free time, could you get them from the backups if possible? That aside, thanks for reverting to 3.4!

That's the odd thing. The private messages are in the SQL tables, and are showing in the ACP, but aren't showing in the Message list for some reason. I thought I had restored reputation, but I may not have. It's low priority at the moment. Anyway, glad to be able to do things again. 4.x was terribad.

do you know if i said/edited anything important here in the last few months? I don't think I have since I've been posting my stuff elsewhere

Not sure. There's a lot to go through, but I think you had actually posted mostly in other places. You, like many others, were kind of daunted by 4.x, and rightfully so.

• Like 2

ShadowFire, does IPB give you the option to send out a mass email like it used to? It might be a cool thing to send out a newsletter informing people of the change back and also if there is any other suggestions they have, that you're open to ideas. I noticed doing that helps bring back some of the people that used to follow the boards and since a lot of them may have been offput by the upgrade, informing them in more ways than one might help jumpstart activity again.

ShadowFire, does IPB give you the option to send out a mass email like it used to? It might be a cool thing to send out a newsletter informing people of the change back and also if there is any other suggestions they have, that you're open to ideas. I noticed doing that helps bring back some of the people that used to follow the boards and since a lot of them may have been offput by the upgrade, informing them in more ways than one might help jumpstart activity again.

Good idea. I'll get right on that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am willing to admit it: I fucked up royally by "upgrading" to 4.x. It was a horrible, broken mess, and until they (Invision) sort out their shit, I won't be budging from this software any time soon. Even then, I'll bring it to the rest of the staff and have a full look at things before making any decisions.

• Like 2

Definitely a good idea, ShadowFire! I was the same way with vBulletin. Even though 4 is widely accepted now, I didn't want to change our software from vB 3.8.7 because it was simple and easy to work with. Do you guys have an administrative forum hidden out of view? I'm assuming you do but that's something we did so when we had something to discuss, we could do it easily and openly with the staff without regular members seeing it or messing with the private messaging system.

We do. I just made an executive decision, and boy, it was a bad one. It may be difficult to fathom, but the alpha builds of IPB 4 were somewhat more stable than the final release.

To use a gaming analogy, the alpha was akin to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (which isn't really a bad game, it's just different) while the final was more akin to the CD-i games (which looked like crap and was broken like all hell).

• Like 1

Haha, I know how that goes. When I was running my own forum, I still had dialup internet and vB 3.8 worked really fast on it but upgrading to 4 slowed it right down and of course back in 2010, most people did have at least broadband by then but for me, it just wasn't what I wanted to do. I used the really old version of Invision which was 1.3 so I really don't know what the backend looks like on these newer versions. Were there features that made it worth upgrading to it or was it just a new version came out so you wanted to keep the community current with the newer version?

Were there features that made it worth upgrading to it or was it just a new version came out so you wanted to keep the community current with the newer version?

A little of both, actually. While I did want to keep the community on the newest version, Invision merged the suit, supposedly making it easier for each component to interact with one another. We saw how good that was, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.