For his birthday, I'm importing my little brother to SM64. (And I could use some help!)

FixtySour

Hello everyone. My little brother's birthday is coming up on Wednesday the 13th, and as a gift to him I decided to mod his favorite game, Super Mario 64, to feature him as the protagonist rather than Mario. Thanks to the help of MelonSpeedruns I was able to import my title screen. The only issue with it is that he had to do some ASM modifications so that it would load the model, and as I understand it, this overwrote the lighting for the scene:

fxxV98K.png

I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this. Additionally, I've remodeled Mario's head to look more like my little brother's head:

DwpExkL.png

I can't get this one to import, as apparently it's too large (It has a lower poly count than Mario's original head, and only uses four textures that are all below 64 x 64) I was hoping someone more experienced would be willing to import it over my existing ROM for me!

Lastly, if at all possible for someone to import both my title screen and replacement head for Mario in a way that would make it console compatible, I would be extremely grateful! This is not a priority, but I was hoping to let him play this on my Ever Drive 64 so he wouldn't have to worry about keyboard controls and could see himself in his favorite game on the original hardware!

Please, I need this done before his birthday Wednesday!

• Like 5

I don't have any experience with SM64 modding, but I would be happy to look up some specs and see what I can do. This sounds like it'd be a really neat birthday gift.

EDIT:

*Almost figured it out:

snap0000.jpg

EDIT #2:

Model import works now, but the texturing is screwed up because the texture converter crashes due to a missing function in vcomp.dll. (I'm on linux, the conversion tool I'm using won't run in wine, so I'm 'pretending' to install it in PlayOnLinux). I might be able to hunt down the 'real' DLL, toss it into the app dir and get it working.

snap0002.jpg

That would be absolutely wonderful, SoulofDeity. I have to get to sleep, but if you're willing, then tomorrow I could pack what I have up into a .zip and send it to you. One thing I'm unsure about is whether Mario's head and hat are different display lists, which is why I modeled the head without a hat. Though, now that I think about it, there's probably two separate display lists where his hat is on and off. I'll fix that tomorrow morning.

Actually, if you're using Windows, you might have better luck than me at doing this. Download ToolN64 and SM64 Level Importer.

If your rom has the .n64 extension, it's most likely middle-endian, so you'll need to open the directory it's in in ToolN64, right-click on it, and click "big-endian" to byteswap it.

Next, run the SM64 Level Importer. Set the rom to your *.z64 big-endian rom. It'll say something about needing to extend the rom; go ahead and do that. It'll spit out a *.ext.z64 file. If it repeats the same message after that, just click cancel. Set the rom to the new *.ext.z64 rom.

Next, set the model to your wavefront obj. If you use Blender, make sure it has normals, otherwise you'll end up with nothing.

Then, click the "custom import..." button at the bottom. It'll open a new window with a list of models. Select "Mario - Head" and then click the button at the bottom to replace it.

That's actually what I've been trying. First it didn't work for the title screen, MelonSpeedruns managed to get it working though. Now it isn't working for my replacement head, even though it's smaller in tri-count than Mario's head and, as far as I'm aware, uses the same amount of textures and same texture sizes as Mario's head. Model is exported from Blender correctly as well, too. I'll try decreasing the texture sizes a ton and see what happens.

EDIT: Still didn't work.

EDIT: Got it to import, turns out it can only use two textures when importing, for some odd reason. Condensed the textures and tried again, it worked. Only problem is, apparently the game freezes upon pressing start after the title screen. This is also present in my ROM that only contains the custom title screen, and not my replacement head, so the title is the issue.

Nemu: Loads fine, hangs on white screen after pressing start.

Project 64: Nothing.

Hardware: Same as Nemu, except that the screen is also showing a mixture of the game and a garbled mess of pixels everywhere. The audio is garbled as well.

EDIT: I can also confirm that it's not the title screen that caused the game to stop loading after pressing start, as Soul said it's just emulators/hardware being picky with the extended ROM.

EDIT: Got it working on PJ64, but the head I imported is missing.

That happened to me on my first attempt. You need to make sure you triangulate the faces and export the normals.

The model was exported correctly from Blender. So, it was triangulated, normals were included, and so were edges and materials. Just to be sure I exported it again and re-imported it. Still the same results.

EDIT: Wonderful news. I finally got it to import correctly. Turns out it was so large that the camera was inside the head at all times, rendering it invisible. Scaled it down, and poof, it worked.

DprFaxu.png

Now, to see if I can fix the lighting on the title screen.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.