Revising Mesh Type 2 (Discussion)

Airikita

Question

I'm currently revising mesh header type 2 from the wiki:

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Maps_and_Scenes#Mesh_Header

It doesn't seem like it was given a proper look-over, as I am comparing data with the map of Kokiri Forest, and the ordering actually appears to be:

a and c = X and Z position of first display list (using rendering distance)
b and d = X and Z position of second display list (using rendering distance)

More appropriately: a and b = X positions, c and d = Z positions.

NOT "a and b, c and d", because I used an actor to position the hex of the Twin's House:

046E 00AE 025B 0133 03008ED8 00000000

0x046E = 1134

0x025B = 603

I also noted that type 2 mesh DOES NOT use distance. In fact, based on a position I used, everything rendered when Link was FACING that position... NOT when Link was at a certain distance.

Result of observation:

KFMesh2PositionTest_mapCompare_zpsv2jjb2

KFMesh2PositionTest_mapDList_zps8otaq4vt

This is useful for building large maps, and can help a ton for those making high-quality 3D maps. Mesh types 0 and 1 are not good in terms of this.

It also seems as though the ground is connected to a central path component:

02C0 0132 00AF 0A0A 03004860 03018048

My guess is that when there's 2 display lists connected, they share rendering together, and will render together based on either x and z positions. But I have not tested this.

2 answers to this question

I would also look at other maps as well including Hyrule field. When I was doing music research, I was shocked to find several differences between types of maps and the location of the values and their significance.

Hyrule Field would be something I would look at... especially considering the behavior of the ground is odd for Mesh type 2, considering how it works.

Though that could be a condition in the DList that keeps the ground from disappearing.

I believe there was the same scenario when I looked at Hyrule Field though... the pathway was in the same line as the ground DList.

I could experiment with my Kokiri Forest modded map, and see if connecting the water with the ground would do anything significant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.