Making the Debug ROM Console Compatible?

PwnzLPs

Question

So, I am writing a hack, and I was curious if there's a way to have the Debug ROM be completely console compatible. I know that it should be somewhat compatible with the Gamecube, although i can not be sure.

But my goal is to have my hack playable on console, which means N64, GCN, and Wii/Wii U. Is there a way to ensure this?

If it helps any, I do have a modded Wii

8 answers to this question

Yeah... a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. There's notes on it strewn about, but I'm the one working on it.

It's not an instant thing you can do.

You have to dig for exception handlers, and have a console to test with.

There's one hidden somewhere right now that I don't know where it is.

I post a lot of new findings, but this community doesn't have all the answers...

Part of hardware compatibility was getting the Display Lists generated properly with the model exporter...

The console is finicky, so Nintendo put in a lot of exception handlers which aren't always necessary.

Feel free to look around the forums. One of the error checks is 80001FF0, if this function is called any time, it's always going to crash the console.

You need to skip over it from the source of the function that calls it (you can't just force it to skip, it doesn't work).

Also, sometimes console crashes can occur because of bad ASM reads. I made some changes in code that caused the code to read from address 00000000, which is impossible on console... so instead the N64 OS crashes.

Main thing is to be careful of your changes in ASM, because Nemu will just think it's all A-OK when it's not.

Key Note: Nemu doesn't give any fucks what you're doing, but N64 will choke you for every little modification blip.

I haven't had any problem making the debug rom (and all of its functions) work on my N64. Are there issues I am unaware of? 

There can be, depending on the modifications. Those model converters came a long way from before, which had frequent crashes on console beforehand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.