Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Vixolyn

Pok%C3%A9mon%20OR%20%26%20AS%20Logo.png

Just recently, remakes of the 2002 Game Boy Advance Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire Versions were announced. They are titled Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire respectively, and are scheduled for a worldwide release on the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 2DS handheld consoles in November, 2014.

You can watch the official trailer hosted on YouTube below.

The two boxarts released show two different unseen forms of both of the main legendaries—Groudon and Kyogre—potentially being new mega forms. Just like in Pokémon X and Y, most locations will only be playable in 2D, with the exception of special areas.

It is also a possibility the two previously unobtainable mega evolutions for Latios and Latias will be featured in the remakes.

Personally, I'm more than excited for the release, with Pokémon Sapphire Version being one of the very first Pokémon games I owned. It was just a huge step from the Generation II games, and it was just an amazing experience overall. Now with it being an enhanced remake on the 3DS, it's going a step further from what it originally was.

So what do you think of these newly revealed remakes? Are you excited or not? And what do you speculate to appear in these titles?

Yeah...I've kind of lost interest. I briefly had an :o moment when I heard about these, but I kind of quickly slumped into a very :| mindset. I wasn't really a huge fan of Ruby/Sapphire in the first instance, in fact I don't think I ever completed a full playthrough.

I'm cautiously excited for them. Generation 3 was when I lost interest in Pokemon for about six years, after playing through most of Sapphire, emulated, in Japanese. I got FireRed in 2007, 2008 or thereabouts, but only really got interested in the franchise again when HeartGold/SoulSilver were announced - remakes of my favorite mainline Pokemon games.

I see ORAS here - remakes of what are probably my least favorite mainline Pokemon games - as an opportunity for me to return to Hoenn with a more open mind. I remember looking forward to the then-new games when they were just announced, with the first screenshots and pieces of artwork coming out, but then ended up disliking their aesthetics, I didn't find many of the Pokemon designs very appealing (with some exceptions, ex. Duskull and Absol), etc...

So, maybe these'll be the games that make me appreciate what RSE brought to the table more?

I have Gold for the DS... I feel like that was the perfect remake, and it's going to be difficult to follow up. If it is just another 3D remastered remake, with some additional content, there's nothing making me buy the game. But if the game explodes with animations, styles, and better music, then I'll go ga-ga over it. I enjoyed Gen 3, but it was surely then just where I felt like breaking off...

The later generations were just sad attempts... Gen 5 had no interesting content, aside from the 3D perspective on the battles, and the Pokemon were not very memorable. Although, the only great thing about Gen 5 is the stats will surprise you. No competition against Mewtwo, but the stats on the Pokemon are better than most generations.

But heck, I still don't find Gen 3, 4, and 5 too memorable.. The adventure was unique in Gen 3, though the GBA remake of Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green had a better feel to it. Maybe from nostalgia, but the old Gen 1 in a newer light was great, considering it was black and white/green from Gameboy... So the whole fresh color scheme just had a wonderful feel.

A remake of an already vibrant and colorful game is meaningless to me.

Gen 2 is to me the best generation. Beating the Elite Four and having an entire continent left to explore was an awesome twist.

Also, according to some sources apparently the "Pokemon Timeline" was released the other day.

Red/Green ≒ RS → Gold/Silver ≒ DPPt → BW → BW2 ≒ XY

Nothing shocking except that Ruby/Sapphire take place at the same time as Gen 1. Maybe this will be important in the remake?

A small update for those interested; a sneak peek of brief footage showing Groudon and Kyogre using their abilities, Drought and Drizzle. May be from an in-game cutscene, intro or a battle. The video can be seen below:

my guess is more will be shown at E3. It's a pretty underwhelming reveal once you think about it, since it looks to be just another remake.

And it seem like it will be, with E3 coming up around the corner next month. I believe they're releasing small teaser trailers before finally unveiling the games during E3, just to generate more hype.

• 4 weeks later...

Update (8/6/2014)

New information regarding the two third gen remakes has surfaced, thanks to CoroCoro magazine.

Mega Evolutions

So, what's new? Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are introducing three new mega evolutions; make room for Mega Sceptile, Mega Swampert and Mega Diancie!

Pokemon-Omega-Ruby-Alpha-Sapphire-CoroCo

Sceptile becomes a dual-typed Grass/Dragon Pokémon upon mega evolution, and gains the Lightning Rod ability. Swampert retains its original typing, but gains the Swift Swim ability during mega evolution. No new information regarding the Mega Diancie has been revealed, however.

Alongside the three new mega evolutions, there are an additional two for the third generation mascot legendaries, Groudon and Kyogre, totaling up to 5 new confirmed mega evolutions!

However, these two legendaries evolutions come with a twist. Rather than being your standard megas, when they mega evolve, they go through a new process known as "ancient devolution." Thus becoming Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Groudon and Kyogre.

Character Redesigns/Alterations

Moving on from the new mega evolutions, it appears that characters are getting redesigned!

The male and female protagonists—Brendan and May—have had a touch of redesign to their characters. Whilst still clearly looking like their original designs, they've had a significant alteration to them. On the left arms of the protagonists, you can see an accessory. This is the Mega Bangle; Hoenn's take on the Mega Ring featured in Pokémon X and Y.

The line-up of Teams Aqua and Magma have also been redesigned, evidently more greatly than the protagonists were. Team Magma has not changed too much, still sporting their original looks. Maxie, the leader of Team Magma, now has an older look to him. He appears to look more noble and respectful than his original design. He also looks more reminiscent of a scientist.

Team Aqua has gone through a larger change, by the looks of it. They now look more like pirates, though the greatest change lies in their skin colouring. It's hard to tell whether it's a change in their race or just tanning, as multiple characters in these remakes have a more tanned look. Tanned skin seems more likely seeing as they're depicted as pirates, but the skin does appear to be quite dark. Archie, the leader of Team Aqua, has had the largest redesign and the pirate look in him is more obvious. His outfit looks like a cross between a pirate and a wetsuit.

Steven Stone, the character we all know and love from Hoenn, also features an alternate design, albeit only minor changes. He also owns a Mega Charizard X.

Small Details

The Mach Bike and the Acro Bike also make a reappearance. Additionally, these scans from the magazine show in-game screenshots from the remakes. In these we can see the original text box design from Ruby and Sapphire make a return. Also in the battle screens, the area containing the Pokémon information such as the name, HP, etc. now have a black box surrounding them. In X and Y there was no box.

Delta Emerald

The last detail I'd like to mention (although this information has been around for more than a little over a week), is the filing of the trademark for Pokémon Delta Emerald in Japan. The trademark was submitted early May 2014, around the same time as the trademarks for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were filed.

Now, this could mean either one of two things; we may potentially be getting a remake of Emerald Version, or, the trademark is being put in place to prevent another company from using the same name, or in the case they want to use the name in the future. There is evidence to support both sides of these theories. The evidence to support a remake of Emerald Version, is that the third title featured drastic alterations to Ruby and Sapphire. The storyline change alone is enough for a new release, especially if it was for the original version of Emerald to get its own game. Also, it's fairly obvious there will be a Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Rayquaza, which could have its own modified story dedicated to it.

However, the past two remade generations (FireRed & LeafGreen, HeartGold & SoulSilver) never featured their third versions, Blue/Yellow (Generation I) and Crystal (Generation II) remade. Although, the name of a third version to go along with FireRed and LeafGreen, WaterBlue Version, was trademarked. Either it was a planned remake, or just copyright reasons like we may be seeing now with Delta Emerald. Perhaps Delta Emerald will be the first to break this trend in the generation remakes? Only time will tell.

That is all the information I've found regarding the remakes. More is likely to surface in the coming days.

The male and female protagonists—Brendan and May—have had a touch of redesign to their characters. Whilst still clearly looking like their original designs, they've had a significant alteration to them. On the left arms of the protagonists, you can see an accessory. This is the Mega Bangle; Hoenn's take on the Mega Ring featured in Pokémon X and Y.

I'm not sure I like the redesigns, Haruka's/May's in particular... It seems, uh, more "girly" in the details compared to her original design? Female protagonist or not, I don't like the designs and redesigns of the recent ones (DPPt/HGSS/BW2/XY) that much in general because of that, with BW's Touko (not sure about the English name) being an exception... Would be nice if 1) XY's trainer customization features are still in ORAS and 2) if the main characters' original outfits could be purchased or something.

I'm not sure I like the redesigns, Haruka's/May's in particular... It seems, uh, more "girly" in the details compared to her original design? Female protagonist or not, I don't like the designs and redesigns of the recent ones (DPPt/HGSS/BW2/XY) that much in general because of that, with BW's Touko (not sure about the English name) being an exception... Would be nice if 1) XY's trainer customization features are still in ORAS and 2) if the main characters' original outfits could be purchased or something.

The English name for her is Hilda, I believe. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to guess that trainer customisation might return, although it's probable it'd be rather limited (including the original outfits would be a nice little touch, so fingers crossed for that). Though I can actually see some form of it being used in the contests, much like the anime did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.