Unused Object_Trap items

Airikita

Question

unused_object_trap_zps6fc1c426.png

Digging through the ROM, and ovl_En_Trap, neither of these two objects are being used. The round circle appears to have some sort of stone-like texture, although it could have been a damage spurt effect. The bigger spikes appear to be an attachment to the original spike trap, but neither of the two items in this object is drawn by anything I've found.

The offset 0x1400 is found within ovl_En_Trap, however the display lists 0x1630 and 0x1710 are not used from this object set.

-- http://tcrf.net/Talk:The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time#object_trap

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Looks like the spike monsters from the Water Temple but with thicker spikes / 2d sprite.

Edit: Or maybe like a Spiny Egg from Super Mario Bros

Yeah, it doesn't match up with the spike enemies because it's not all rounded. The fact that it doesn't even show up in-game is odd, but the collision is there.

Reminds me of the Alpha Blue Birds and the unused alternate Crystal Switch.

Copy the display list and do search in the ROM to see if comes up anywhere else. I feel like I've seen the spikes somewhere...

Well I copied the 06 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX commands, and they don't show up anywhere else. I think you're thinking of the Urchin enemy.

Although, I'm curious if they appear in a Mario 64 ROM...

It also looks like the bomb explosion from Star Fox

This is a possibility, since the whole z-Target mechanic was based off of Starfox... also that there are similarities in compilations from OoT to Super Mario 64.

EDIT:

The arrangement of the spikes are just like Spiny from Super Mario 64:

http://www.mariowiki.com/spiny

Although I can't find a good screenshot with spiny, I intend to find it in the game, and look for it in RAM to confirm if it is indeed identical.

If I had to guess? I'd say it's probably a beta spike trap graphic. If you'll recall, in order to easily create a rounded shape, certain objects in Super Mario 64 use flat planes that always face the player, along with some 3D geometry that can't be cheated in this way, such as the Bob-Ombs, Chuckyas, King Bob-Omb...those dudes with the flower heads? I'm not so good on Mario enemy names. The point is, this is likely an early version of the trap before the full 3D version was implemented, likely after the engine was updated far enough from its SM64 roots. This design would have allowed more details on the spikes, without having to sacrifice a lot of polygons to create a smooth sphere as the base. The game has a lot of anachronisms like this all over it.

If I had to guess? I'd say it's probably a beta spike trap graphic. If you'll recall, in order to easily create a rounded shape, certain objects in Super Mario 64 use flat planes that always face the player, along with some 3D geometry that can't be cheated in this way, such as the Bob-Ombs, Chuckyas, King Bob-Omb...those dudes with the flower heads? I'm not so good on Mario enemy names. The point is, this is likely an early version of the trap before the full 3D version was implemented, likely after the engine was updated far enough from its SM64 roots. This design would have allowed more details on the spikes, without having to sacrifice a lot of polygons to create a smooth sphere as the base. The game has a lot of anachronisms like this all over it.

I am familiar with the round flat circles, in fact the black orb from SM64 exists in gameplay_keep.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.