beta spirit temple / kokiri forest cutscene

Vexiant

from my unused stuff folder on my desktop

the spirit temple scene has two unreferenced headers which contain cutscenes from kokiri forest (huh)

each spirit temple room also has two unreferenced map headers, some possibly have alternate actor layouts

i told xdaniel how to scan the rom for this kinda stuff so we'll see what happens with that

J11Kv3b.jpg

regards

krokodil.gena.0-05-22.jpg

• Like 1

I can confirm that the same pattern exists in commercial releases. Gonna cook up a cheat to play the cutscene in v1.0

Edit: The cutscene isn't unused, it's the Goddess Cutscene, when Farore is introduced.

mJL76rM.png?2

V1.0 code

//Sets the cutscene pointer

811CA208 8038 

811CA20A 16A0 

//Takes you to spirit temple when touching a loading zone, plays cutscene pointed to by the cutscene pointer.

//Disable once cutscene starts

8111A5D2 0082

8111B9E2 FFF0

A printout of the scene file header. http://pastebin.com/xTc07ipP

Some points:

• There are more transition actors than in the final version
  • No switch flag values are assigned to the doors
  • The scene header uses the 01 command, which I think is non-functional in scene files, since only one non-beta scene header uses it.
  • Only 2 Link Spawns vs 4 in the final.
  • A cutscene pointer command which points to the cutscene above. Interestingly I found a second cutscene immediately after the one above (16D40 in v1.0) oh shit there's a second header.

The fact that it's in the Spirit Temple should be enough to clue in to some part of what Nintendo has done with the game. I mean, it's scrapped, but I wonder what it was originally intended for? Seems odd to switch a cutscene to a regular area to a dungeon area. I imagine the dungeon would use different functionality too.

If somebody has a functional scene parser already programmed they could go modify it to go through each scene file and zero out the data sections that are used in the headers, append it to an output file, and whatever is not zero would be unused content. Rooms potentially have unreferenced data and model parts as well in the same context.

Iirc, the scene header doesn't directly reference all assets that are used. You'd have to parse both maps, and at the very least at table located in code that contains addresses for more cutscenes.

Also I just realized that Spirit has 2 extra entrances for the entrance 0 group, seemingly just for these two cutscenes. I wonder what happened to the alternate scene header.

Based on the entrance table, the extra headers/setups are intended to be cutscene setups (like "beta" Ice Cavern/Jabu Jabu), not necessarily a new dungeon.

Also, while theoretically you could have multiple collision models through scene setups, this wouldn't be possible to do for a dungeon due to memory constraints. According to my programs, Spirit Temple's mesh in v1.0 is 0x1 6284 bytes, while for comparison, the total available space allocated for actors in Hyrule Field (which has a slightly smaller space than Spirit) is 0x3 D660 in v1.0

Anyway I plan on making a hack that restores the "beta" dungeon(s). Kind of a few ways to go about this since the transition actor layout in Spirit suggest that at least the adult side of the dungeon (around the part where the Iron Knuckle fight is) didn't go out as far east as it does now, and if I'm reading the header commands correctly, most (if not all) of the actors won't spawn due to a lack of the object command. And then lastly I have to figure out what to do with the actors in the scene header, if anything.

Also, the extra transition actor might be this door i found. From dungeon start, go right to the adult side, then in either the leftmost or rightmost room it will spawn. Possibly these rooms were linked together like the child side (or maybe just copy pasta).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a hack for v1.0, want to check out a few things (check see if I can spawn more actors by just editing the object table) before releasing it. Seems like the dungeon is more empty than it should be.

http://imgur.com/wLEw4SF

Edit: Ok now this is odd...

I managed to spawn some of the actors in the scene header by jumping into the void in room 27 (F1 child side loop, has Anubis that you're suppose to kill with fire). This resulted in the doors not spawning/being overwritten (likely the latter since the ovl file was still in memory). The silver blocks, a decorative flame, and a switch all spawned since the room loads the right obj files.

What makes it more unusual is that simply hitting the -4000y kill plane does not load actors in other rooms.

In any case using the 01 command in a scene header won't do anything useful since the actors that spawn don't mark themselves as being global.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.