OoT 3D - unused/unknown models?

xdaniel

I was looking through some non-model files in OoT 3D out of curiosity, and am pretty sure I stumbled across at least the vertices and some textures for... something. It's not in the same format the rest of the models are (cmb) - in fact, I have no idea how anything besides the vertices works yet - but at least the textures can be converted using existing code. Seems to be at least two different models, too.

I hacked together some basic code to render those vertices as "point clouds", the result of which you can see in the spoiler below. One of the two models looks familiar, too, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

...also, have the textures I mentioned:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

Hah! Impressive work XDaniel, and good eyes there Zeth. Strange that they would include a Wind Waker test model into a remake of OoT, maybe they planned to use the Wind Waker engine originally before creating their own modified version of OoT's.

Stranger things have turned up so far.  That level never made sense in WW, so maybe it was a late removed beta from OOT.

Unfortunately today is April first so I won't believe you for now.

Well, it's April 2nd over here by now, so here's more details...

I apologize, guys: April Fools! mzxrules was right. While I really have looked into some non-model files, I have not found anything like that. The screenshots are just some clever (not really) fakes composed of actual screenshots from the OoT3D cmb viewer and screenshots from other sources, while the textures are actually from Wind Waker. More about that in the next spoiler block, if you're interested.

The whole thing was a collaboration between JSA and myself, who contacted me about a week ago, asking if I'd be interested in pulling an April Fools joke. We brainstormed various things, some more believable, some less, some kinda outrageous, and what you see in the first post - 3DS, Wind Waker test levels, needing help identifying, etc. - is what we ended up with.

Again, my apologies. I hope you don't mind this joke too much, or maybe even found it funny?

(EDIT: Also went ahead and moved the thread to Randomness.)

...and more on the technical side:

The first screenshot is a bad rendering of Mega Man Legends' intro dungeon's first cutscene area - it's also not far from how well I can render the game's stages, with how much (or little) I know about its stage format. Triangles are actually understood, btw, but vertex clouds seemed easier to fake :P

The second screenshot and the textures are from Wind Waker's H_test, which Zeth correctly identified. The screenshot was made by intentionally gimping Wind Viewer's renderer (disable texturing and vertex colors, render all primitives as points, etc), while the textures were also dumped using WV (a function I don't think I ever added to the GUI...? Not sure).

Both screenshots were "Paint Shop Pro"-ed, taking two OoT3D viewer screenshots - Saria's actor model loaded directly on startup, bypassing the treeview and other GUI stuff being initialized - then removing the actual model rendering and the top-left box of text on the HUD, and pasting in the renderings from the other two programs.

Edited by xdaniel
  • Like 2

A Wind Waker test room being in an OoT remake (TP, SS, PH, ST all based off of Wind Waker's engine) wouldn't have been that outlandish and would have made a good deal of sense. It had me going, great work fellows!

Wrong, PH and ST have their own engine, SS is based on the Brawl engine which uses Nintendo's NW4R code for things like hermite splines, and animation.

The more you know, I suppose. Thanks foor the clarification. I had heard that SS used the Wind Waker engine as a base. But I guess it uses a ?modified? Brawl one?

No, I think that's just fans speculating since SS was cell-shaded. Just a rumor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.