Collision Questions

mzxrules

Question

First, can anyone explain all of this better because I've wanted to simplify this page but it's a complete mess to me: http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Zelda_64:_Collision_Format#Polygon_Types

Second, there has been some research into a glitch called "Void Warp", and what we've discovered is that there are at least two types of out of bounds collision polys. One is an instantanious zone out if Link steps on / is over it and respawns you based on the entrance index at I think 15E660 in the Debug Rom (it's where the save stuff starts), while the second respawns you based on the coordinates that would be stored by Farore's Wind if you set a return point. Is this known/correct?

4 answers to this question

Try giving a look at this topic. Hopefully, it's a bit easier to understand: https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/2544-oot-polygon-types/

About the Farore's Wind collision, I personally never seen it. It doesn't make much sense to have a collision that takes you to a FW location, since FW is controlled by the item, not collisions, but who knows what was in the game code before the final version.

You misunderstand. The game maintains a position that is restored if, for example, you go below -4000 y. It's my guess that Farore's Wind records this position when you set a return point, and also that one collision poly type will also put you back at this position.

If I'm not wrong, the FW's location is based on the last spawn point or transition actor Link has come through.

There's this one setting, when the polygon code starts with 3: 

0x3000 : Restarts room, used mostly on dungeon pits.

That would be similar to Farore's Wind, but would respawn only inside that specific room.

And there's the standard -4000 effect:

Floor Type 0x12 : Bottomless Pit. Out of Bounds Effect;

From my experience, the Farore's Wind point/oobs respawn point only updates when going through doors, not black transition plane actors, and is also updated when being crushed by the spike thing that drops from the ceiling in Shadow Temple and the "falling ceiling" in Forest Temple.

I know this from personal experience, as I had a hell of a time getting past that one room in Shadow where you have to go through this windy path with Skulltulas that drop from the ceiling -> room with a bunch of guillotines, and if you fall off in the guillotine room you respawn back in the windy path

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.