Debug Throwing Exception?

Airikita

Question

Hey guys...

I need to find out where or how OoT throws exceptions, because right now lately Epona throws some sort of error when Link is hit while she backs up, and causes ONLY the N64 to crash (then again I only tested it on Nemu and the N64 lately), so if anyone has any real lead what would cause that little red bar to show on TV, any possibility, let me know.

8 answers to this question

Savestate. Breakpoint 0x80002130 shortly before backing up, back up, check what $ra is, go to the beginning of that function, load savestate, back up again without the breakpoint, with and without your hack, and check if there is a difference. If 0x80002130 doesn't break when you're backing up, I'm not quite sure if I can help you. Perhaps use a strict emulator that tells you where it encounters faults?

I tried changing its behavior on Epona backing up to test using a different value... although I have fixed her crashing when running forward, it doesn't repair her backing up issue... It works in most situations except for backing up, which I haven't tested all scenarios yet... I am forcing Epona's status value to change too which is what prevented crashing when running forward.

She will halt and stand still in other scenarios, but backing up causes her to be stuck in an endless animation loop which makes her appear to moonwalk, so she isn't resetting properly.

---------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Exception thrown by what is likely to be the Peahat:

ExceptionWhenReversingEponaDamage2_zps73

The address in ExcectPC is not Epona's address....

Snapshot of when the console crashes, viewed in this frame on Nemu:

ExceptionWhenReversingEponaDamage3_zps72

I'm not quite sure where to go from here... either the address in ExcectPC or I use RA to backtrack...

No differences from non-crash damage to error damage. Mupen doesn't crash during test, only N64... I suspect it's some sort of RAM issue, but this would be easily resolved if Epona just reset correctly, I will have to observe what function is being used after Epona halts.

EDIT:

-------

Maybe this might help, if I knew where the functions were in Debug:

https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/2656-zelda-oot-debug-crash-debugger-combination/page-2?do=findComment&comment=42541

-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT 2:

---------

Error has been resolved... odd the error only occurred on the N64 considering the issue, but I made it more iterative instead of one big chain of checks. Apparently removing Link's reference to a pointer to Epona before she was halted was sending some sort of red-alert to the N64... anyways, issue solved.

Edited by Airikita

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.