Games with Innovative/Excellent Audio Design

enzo22

Hey guys! I'm planning on going into game audio design and I'm looking for some games to study. I'd appreciate some recommendations!

On a side note, are there any video game websites that offer an advanced search that includes searching by critics' or users' ratings on a certain aspect of a game? If I'm not mistaken, IGN used to have a rating system where a user's rating was based on an average of ratings on specific aspects and it would have been great if you could search by those criteria.

For your former point, here are a list of games which (I think, anyway) make incredible use of audio to enhance the feel of the game:

• BIT.TRIP: Runner (for extremely obvious reasons, if you've played it)
  • Bastion (mainly for the narrator, though Darren Korb is one hell of a composer)
  • Beat Hazard Ultra (essentially a mashup of Audiosurf and Asteroids)
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent (point source audio helps immensely for immersion purposes)

Of those, BIT.TRIP is probably the best for its use of audio, which I'd say is relied on even more heavily than the graphics.

Not an in-game example, but a demonstration of what I wish more games, especially in the series in question, did:

Make sure annotations are on, maybe watch it on YouTube proper too, instead of embedded like this.

(Also, YT seems to have messed up the sync between audio and video since it was uploaded -.-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.