Ocarina of Time Uncensored, Everdrive

Hayate

Question

Hey, how are you all ?  :)

I have some questions for you, one about Ocarina of Time and one about the Everdrive.

I wanted to know if there is a way to restore all the censored elements from US 1.0/Japanese version in the US 1.2 or in the EU 1.0/1.1 roms ? (the Temple of Fire chants, red blood etc...)

I also wanted to know what are the elements to respect in order to make Ocarina of Time hacks working on an Everdrive (or even on an 64Drive or any other SDCard cartidges) ? I seen that a new version of Model2N64 is going to be released, a version that could make custom models etc... working on the actual hardware.

Thanks all !  ;)

9 answers to this question

It should certainly be possible to uncensor the later versions.

However, I do not really see why you'd want to go through the trouble of doing that?

The only difference in the game is pretty much the censorships, and a very small amount of patched glitches, which you won't notice unless you try to do them.

Wouldn't it be easier to just play 1.0 in this case?

And for the second part.. That's something I'm interested in as well. I've been wanting to know what it is that cause hardware issues.

It should certainly be possible to uncensor the later versions.

However, I do not really see why you'd want to go through the trouble of doing that?

The only difference in the game is pretty much the censorships, and a very small amount of patched glitches, which you won't notice unless you try to do them.

Wouldn't it be easier to just play 1.0 in this case?

And for the second part.. That's something I'm interested in as well. I've been wanting to know what it is that cause hardware issues.

Thanks for your reply,

Well the game don't exist in PAL with the proper Temple of Fire music and the other censored things, so I would find interesting to play the game in French and with all the censor removed.

I will do some tests on my Everdrive to see what could make the console not booting/freezing the game.

Oh. I never thought about the fact that PAL has language selection, since I myself never used it. I've avoided playing on PAL for the last few years now because it is insanely slow compared to NTSC.

But yeah, it should be very possible to revert the things that were patched. How difficult it'd be, I don't know. I myself wouldn't be able to do it, because I haven't learned how to swap music in the game to begin with.

Maybe there's someone else willing to help out.

Oh. I never thought about the fact that PAL has language selection, since I myself never used it. I've avoided playing on PAL for the last few years now because it is insanely slow compared to NTSC.

But yeah, it should be very possible to revert the things that were patched. How difficult it'd be, I don't know. I myself wouldn't be able to do it, because I haven't learned how to swap music in the game to begin with.

Maybe there's someone else willing to help out.

There is a way to make N64 PAL games to run at 60 hz by editing the rom header with some hex editor, I can't remember if the game was running in a fine way.

Edit : Here is a screen of the modification that you can do :

1391174668-60hz.jpg

Edit 2 : Well, I just re-tested the modification and the sound is speeded up too, so don't do it if you want to play the game.

So I just tested to include the french texts into the 1.0 US rom. I tried to import the intro texts, but there is a strange bug which cause a message box loop (the same message box is repeating with the B button saying STOP)

1391467933-01.png

Here is the US version hex code :

1391467934-03.png

And the PAL french one :

1391467933-02.png

What could be the problem ?

Thanks !

The offsets to the text would be different, so I imagine you need to change the pointers that reference the text. I don't know where to find that, but in OoT the text is shuffled, so it's referenced to differently.

After "I am the Deku Tree", it breaks off there, then re-starts a new dialogue. I imagine you messed up where the text is aligned between those places. The English portion of that, the "The children of the Kokiri Forest" part starts on 0x7C, where the "o" is in "Mojo", therefore you're overlapping that pointer, causing that glitch you're seeing. So, you need to find where it's pointing to 0x7C and move it to the start of the next line of hex 06.

Thanks for your responses, I believe that I found where the location infos are.

I'm using Scroll of Time to understand all of that and I seen that two files a created with the extractor : nes_message_data_static which is used to contain all the text, and table which contain the location infos (I believe).

I'll take a look at it today.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.