Zelda: Ocarina of Time, remove tutorials

Marcelo_20XX

Question

For a long time I thought on removing some annoying events like the tutorials in this game, most involves Navi and the Owl events. An early example would be when Navi points you to the first rough surface inside the Deku Tree. Now my question is: How can I achieve this? I know there are some tools for text editing but I am not sure if they can be used to completely delete some events and skip to the next part in the code, also ideally I would want to target the 1.2 (U) revision instead of the debug rom, thanks for any help in advance...

9 answers to this question

Thanks, do you know how to remove an event flag? I need just only one example so I can replicate this to other events, I did this kind of mods before so its not new to me but mainly for PC games not N64 btw, so I know I will need some knowledge of how this game works (hopefully I wont need to learn ASM), by looking at some other mods like Zelda's Birthday I know its possible...just that there isnt enough info

Because the Navi and Owl "events" are triggered by their respective actors, the best way to stop these events from happening is to simply remove the actors that trigger them from the map file that they reside in, rather than write code to force the appropriate flag to be set on when the file is created. This is what I did in Dungeon Rush in most cases. 

Cosmo would put his name on his own rom hack:

The rom builder doesn't do a whole lot. It simply replaces some v1.0 files with my modified files (which are embedded into the program), adjusting the DMA table accordingly. I don't want to release the source at this time because things are kind of messy

There are things called event flags. An easy way to "remove" those things is to set their specific event flags; this makes the game think that the event already happened.

Isn't the Navi tutorials in the Deku Tree set by actors? Using ZAP2, I see them as Navi Information Spots. Wouldn't overwriting it with something else or a blank actor be just as effective?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.