Twilight Princess ROM Documentation

Keanine

Very helpful, it's actually helped me find the stuff i'm looking for on a few occasions, Still need to figure out that STB format >.>

Looking through the assembly isn't very helpful since all the demo stuff seems to be done using REL files so i can't easily step through them.

Well I'm glad it's coming in handy :)

I was thinking about documenting the Objects folder soon after finishing up the Stage folder, but I'm not sure if I have the patience. If I were to do it, I would be loosely describing the files contents rather than each separate file. I would also probably need some people to help. Would it be worth doing so?

• 10 months later...

Hello, I was wanting to know if there is any way I can be of some help? I'd be willing to learn and dedicate tons of my time to tearing apart this game. I would just need to know what tools I would need and such. I have already dumped the files from the inside of the Gamecube disc and I have been lurking around here for quite some time. Not to mention I have a PC capable of running Dolphin and a softmodded Wii that I can load stuff onto for testing. If any of you would be willing to teach me what I would need to know in order to be of assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's been a while since I even touched Twilight Princess, and I'm sure others could help you more, but I can upload a compilation of tools I was using as well as a brief tutorial of how to extract models and stuff like that. Unfortunately, that's as far as my knowledge goes, I've never been very good with this sort of thing, but I wanted to help in some form. Plus I was toying with Unity at the time and wanted some models to work with.  :D

I'm pretty sure there is a hacking thread too which you might be interested in, I'll get a link for it :)

EDIT:

https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/1590-twilight-princess-and-skyward-sword-hacking-thread/?hl=twilight%20princess

And I've updated the first post with a link for the tools I used. They are in the Tools spoiler. The zip folder is not very organised but it does the job. I'll get a quick tutorial done tomorrow if you like, I remember it being a simple process, but don't expect much from it, I'm quite busy at the moment!

I'm sure someone else will help you with the more complex stuff.

EDIT 2:

I will get around to the tutorial soon. I've recently just got referred on a bunch of coursework and now I have to redo a load of it by tomorrow so it can be marked. Hooray for education.

• 1 month later...
Ok this has taken way longer than was necessary considering it's such a simple task.

You will need:

Yaz0dec

rarcdump

bmdview2

A Twilight Princess GCN iso

Getting the Files

To get the files to work with, you will need to extract them from the iso. I personally used Dolphin to do this. First you need to add Twilight Princess to your Dolphin library, then right click it and select properties. Click the Filesystem tab and in the root look for the "res" folder. Right click this and Extract Directory (If this doesn't work, extract all). This contains, at least from what I know, all of the models of characters and stages, as well as some other data.

Before we continue I would recommend creating a backup of the files.

Extracting

Now that you have extracted the files, you should decide what you want to look for. All of the fields, dungeons and interiors are inside of "Stage", all props and character models are in "Object". The process for each is the same so we are going to use a stage as an example. Let's extract Hyrule Throne Room.

According to my documentation, the Throne Room is located inside the folder "R_SP301". Open up the folder and you will see an two arc files.We want "R00_00.arc". Drag this file over the Yaz0dec.exe and it will extract. This will create a new file called "R00_00.arc 0.rarc". You want to drag this new file onto rarcdump.exe which will then extract it again. This is because they are double compressed. Doing this will create a folder with all the models, animations or other files.

Note: Sometimes an arc file will not decompress properly. I have found that dragging this arc onto the rarcdump.exe will decompress this. I'm not sure why this is, maybe they forgot to double compress it?

Viewing the models

So now you have your "R00_00.arc 0.rarc_dir" folder, you want to open this and the archive folder within. What will greet you are 5 folders. The only one that we are interested in is the bmdr folder. Open this and you will see 2 bmd files, model.bmd and model 3.bmd. Open up BMDView2 and drag model.bmd into the window. It will now display the Throne Room!

Since the viewer was originally made for Wind Waker, everything will look a little bright. Hold G to turn off the shaders. Use the arrow keys to move forwards, backwards and strafe, and use the left mouse button to turn. Use shift to move faster.

Viewing animations

For viewing animations, you must first load up a model with the same process detailed above. I will use GWolf.arc from the Object folder. After loading up the BMD of the gold wolf, you will want to go back to the "archive" folder. Instead of picking one of the bmd folders, this time we want the bck folder. .bck's are for animations. In here there are 10 animations. Drag these into BMDView2 while the gold wolf model is still loaded and the wolf will carry out the animation!

Extra

The animations stored within GWolf.arc all have the prefix "wl". This stands for Wolf Link. As a result, you can use Wolf Links animation files with this model! (Found in alAnm.arc!)

Let me know if I'm missing anything, or if something needs to be clearer!

Also, updated the main post with a link to the Objects Folder documentation. It is editable so if anyone wants to contribute they can

• Like 1

I didn't realise there was a dedicated tool for extracting and importing .gcm files, added it to the op!

There's also gcmdump from the sztools package on the amnoid gc site, but that only extracts the files; it doesn't lets you import, convert between gcm/iso, or mess with the disc info like the banner or internal name.

Also, I'm not 100% certain, but when I used the MaxBMD plugin before with 3DS Max 2008 I think there was a certain line that had to be fixed. Idk. In any case, I've scoured the internet and there doesn't seem to be any tools for creating BMD files. ~curiousity peaked~

• Like 1

There's also gcmdump from the sztools package on the amnoid gc site, but that only extracts the files; it doesn't lets you import, convert between gcm/iso, or mess with the disc info like the banner or internal name.

Also, I'm not 100% certain, but when I used the MaxBMD plugin before with 3DS Max 2008 I think there was a certain line that had to be fixed. Idk. In any case, I've scoured the internet and there doesn't seem to be any tools for creating BMD files. ~curiousity peaked~

I saw gcmdump before, but I found that Dolphin's filesystem function was more user friendly due to its GUI. GCRebuilder seems great too, and is probably the best tool for the job from what I can tell! As for MaxBMD, I haven't had any problems with it honestly, but you could be right.

I've updated the op with links to all the tools and generally cleaned it up a bit.

Speaking of tools, you do know that Wind Viewer (partially) works with GCN TP? The only big problems I remember are texture conversion bugs, resulting in some pretty ugly rendering glitches, and that TP uses a different format for collision (KCL, I think) as opposed to Wind Waker, so it won't render a collision overlay.

My last Wind Viewer build: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/WWActorEdit_full.rar

Continuation by pho & co.: https://github.com/pho/WindViewer

Also, there's Lord Ned's and Sage of Mirrors' Wind Editor, a work-in-progress WW editor written from the ground up, which in turn should/could be compatible with TP: https://github.com/LordNed/WindEditor

• Like 2

Speaking of tools, you do know that Wind Viewer (partially) works with GCN TP? The only big problems I remember are texture conversion bugs, resulting in some pretty ugly rendering glitches, and that TP uses a different format for collision (KCL, I think) as opposed to Wind Waker, so it won't render a collision overlay.

My last Wind Viewer build: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/WWActorEdit_full.rar

Continuation by pho & co.: https://github.com/pho/WindViewer

Also, there's Lord Ned's and Sage of Mirrors' Wind Editor, a work-in-progress WW editor written from the ground up, which in turn should/could be compatible with TP: https://github.com/LordNed/WindEditor

I didn't even think of that!  :D  I knew that the engines were similar, but it never occured to me you could probably use WW tools on TP! Well I added a Wind Waker section to the Tools spoiler with a notice explaining that there could be glitches and/or problems!

@xdaniel, that tool would definitely be useful for actor placement. Actually, just for the hell of it, I think I might take a break from my import script and write a little something for working with WW/TP models. I'm not promising anything, but I did work with them before so I'm somewhat familiar with the format.

• Like 1

Quick question. Isn't GCM and ISO the same thing? I've been told on many rom dumping sites that they are literally the same exact thing. Not to mention ALL of my dumps are GCM and I rename them to ISO and my Wii reads them as if they were ISO files. (loaders don't look for gcm format files) Excuse my lack of knowledge, I haven't put much time into looking at the differences between the formats.

Quick question. Isn't GCM and ISO the same thing? I've been told on many rom dumping sites that they are literally the same exact thing. Not to mention ALL of my dumps are GCM and I rename them to ISO and my Wii reads them as if they were ISO files. (loaders don't look for gcm format files) Excuse my lack of knowledge, I haven't put much time into looking at the differences between the formats.

They're both disk images, but the formats are different (as far as I know). ISO generally uses file systems like Joliet or El-Torito, but GCM's is proprietary. It's likely that the loader just doesn't pay attention to the file extension.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my list of known collision flags for Twilight Princess, please note that none of them are documented, it's just the values:

0x0
0x1
0x2
0x3
0x4
0x5
0x6
0x7
0x8
0x9
0xa
0xb
0xc
0xd
0xe
0xf
0x10
0x11
0x12
0x13
0x14
0x15
0x16
0x17
0x18
0x19
0x1a
0x1b
0x1c
0x1d
0x1e
0x1f
0x20
0x21
0x22
0x23
0x24
0x25
0x26
0x27
0x28
0x29
0x2a
0x2b
0x2c
0x2d
0x2e
0x2f
0x30
0x31
0x32
0x33
0x34
0x35
0x36
0x37
0x38
0x39
0x3a
0x3b
0x3c
0x3d
0x3e
0x3f
0x40
0x41
0x42
0x43
0x44
0x45
0x46
0x47
0x48
0x49
0x4a
0x4b
0x4c
0x4d
0x4e
0x4f
0x50
0x51
0x52
0x53
0x54

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.