SharpOcarina Problem

_MarcMadness_

Question

Hello, I'm having trouble importing my map that I modeled in Google Sketchup 8.  Whenever I put in the Collision Model (and the Room) into SharpOcarina I get this Error Message that says...

"Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.

If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to 

continue."

I still clicked continue but it didn't work.  So can you guys please help me on how to fix this problem so I can import my custom map and them share it on here.

22 answers to this question

Okay, I took a look at it.

There's a few things wrong with it, but it imports correctly into SO for me. But, when I imported it:

testmap1_zps41deba32.png

I took all the textures off of it and all your faces need to be reversed. The picture above shows the difference in colour you want. You want pure white when you look straight at it. The map imported fine into the SO and when I injected it into the rom, and you fall right through, I was confused for a moment.

But yep, it imports fine in mine, just make sure you're picking the same thing for the collision model (check the outdoor scene so you can see what you are doing), then go to rooms, add room, and make sure you pick the correct obj file. You want the same obj file for both.

Make sure your triangulating faces is checked in the options when you export the obj model as well.

EDIT: In order to make sure you have collision on both sides of the house, make a rectangle, then another one inside it, then use the push/pull to have a bit of thickness to it. That way you won't pop through the wall one one side. Make sure all your sides are white.

Example:

example_zps42a1d0c6.png

Okay, I took a look at it.

There's a few things wrong with it, but it imports correctly into SO for me. But, when I imported it:

Posted Image

I took all the textures off of it and all your faces need to be reversed. The picture above shows the difference in colour you want. You want pure white when you look straight at it. The map imported fine into the SO and when I injected it into the rom, and you fall right through, I was confused for a moment.

But yep, it imports fine in mine, just make sure you're picking the same thing for the collision model (check the outdoor scene so you can see what you are doing), then go to rooms, add room, and make sure you pick the correct obj file. You want the same obj file for both.

Make sure your triangulating faces is checked in the options when you export the obj model as well.

Thank you for all of the Information, but do you have any idea on how to fix my problem importing the .obj file?

Yeah, I'm not sure why it isn't working other than the exporter too. I forgot about that part. I have better luck using the one with sketchup though, the other one kills my rom.

actually a few minutes ago i tried using SharpOcarina v05 instead of v06 and i didn't get the error, that's pretty odd but oh well.  Thanks for the help though. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not sure why it isn't working other than the exporter too. I forgot about that part. I have better luck using the one with sketchup though, the other one kills my rom.

Nevermind what i said before v05 destroyed my rom, anyway your solution about turning on the triangluating the faces worked.  Thank You very much, in a few weeks I want to start making dungeons. :D

Posted Image

Um, no offense but I don't see how that's possible.  The .OBJ exporter never interacts with the ROM.  Are you confusing the .OBJ exporter with a particular version Sharp Ocarina?

EDIT:

Map in millimeter, and the measurements will be in perfect scale with game.  No setting to have to fool around with, and conversions are guaranteed to be error free.  Do yourself a favor and get the best tool for the job.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rjytp9

• Like 1

Posted Image

Um, no offense but I don't see how that's possible.  The .OBJ exporter never interacts with the ROM.  Are you confusing the .OBJ exporter with a particular version Sharp Ocarina?

EDIT:

Map in millimeter, and the measurements will be in perfect scale with game.  No setting to have to fool around with, and conversions are guaranteed to be error free.  Do yourself a favor and get the best tool for the job.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rjytp9

the file extension is .rb what do i open the file with?

I'm not sure what causes it. The exporter is the only thing I changed when all of a sudden Nemu just refused to open the rom I injected. I used the original sketchup exporter and used the same clean copy rom I injected, and it worked. *shrug*

• Like 1

I'm not sure what causes it. The exporter is the only thing I changed when all of a sudden Nemu just refused to open the rom I injected. I used the original sketchup exporter and used the same clean copy rom I injected, and it worked. *shrug*

Did you only try it once?

In the end, it's a free country, use whatever works for you.  Just be aware, there are no errors in Sharp Ocarina when used with TIG's. 

It's just that I'm *frustrated* with people reporting errors in Sharp Ocarina.   There is no errors in the texture system that I have ever found using TIG's.  I'm afraid of XDaniel getting discouraged, or trying to fix errors that don't exist just because people are using faulty tools.

Please, do me a personal favor here.  Try TIG's one final time.  Make up a .PPF patch off the import.  I'll take a look at it, and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt there is nothing wrong.

It's not a matter of what you prefer to use.  Use whatever exporter you prefer to use.  The matter is that we now have new users afraid to use TIG's because they have been misinformed.  At least give me a chance to show there is nothing to be afraid of.

Unfortunately I too am unable to get results using TIG's exporter. When loading an .obj file exported from TIG's exporter into SharpOcarina I get the following message:

Posted Image

Where as if I use Sketchup's .obj exporter, the map displays fine in SharpOcarina and in-game (although sometimes one or two textures get stretched out of proportion which is annoying/strange, but I'm finding ways around these little problems).

Once again, when I use TIG, it imports fine into SO, there's no problem with that. But for some reason, when I inject it into the rom, Nemu doesn't load the rom for me, it just instantly crashes, it's not like the rom is corrupted, it's just nemu crashes. I can try it again, and I don't mean to run newbies away, but I can see if it works again for me. It could be my computer too--it doesn't rip textures either in the normal way, so I have a strange way of deal with some stuff.

I'll be sure to give it another go though, apologies if I've come across as rude about it, I don't want to run people away from it if it works for them.

Unfortunately I too am unable to get results using TIG's exporter. When loading an .obj file exported from TIG's exporter into SharpOcarina I get the following message:

Posted Image

Where as if I use Sketchup's .obj exporter, the map displays fine in SharpOcarina and in-game (although sometimes one or two textures get stretched out of proportion which is annoying/strange, but I'm finding ways around these little problems).

Looks like whatever you're trying to import is TOO BIG.

Is your map in correct scale?  When skecthup is set to millimeters, TIG's is set up to work in *perfect* scale with the game it's self. 

For example, a door way is 60mm wide, 100mm high.  Dungeon rooms are on average around 800mm by 400mm with walls between 400mm to 600mm high.

Limits for overall map size is somewhere 32,000mm by 32,000.

I'd be happy to export you any map from the game, into sketchup if you want to try one of those.  I'm only doing 1 for ya if you want it, so choose wisely.

Once again, when I use TIG, it imports fine into SO, there's no problem with that. But for some reason, when I inject it into the rom, Nemu doesn't load the rom for me, it just instantly crashes, it's not like the rom is corrupted, it's just nemu crashes. I can try it again, and I don't mean to run newbies away, but I can see if it works again for me. It could be my computer too--it doesn't rip textures either in the normal way, so I have a strange way of deal with some stuff.

I'll be sure to give it another go though, apologies if I've come across as rude about it, I don't want to run people away from it if it works for them.

Yeah,that sounds like some funky virus related stuff maybe.

I can't fix it if it's your system. 

If you're still willing to try it again though, create me a ,ppf patch.  That way I can look at the ROM, and track down why this is happening.

But again, if it's the system, well, obviously I can't help.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Like JSA said, it's almost certain that your map is too big to use when using TIG's exporter mod. SharpOcarina throws those exceptions when something has gone beyond the boundries of what is possible for the game. The only things that cause this are:

-- Too many vertices

-- Too many faces

-- XYZ coordinates of vertices are too far/small

-- Texture sizes are too large

-- The resulting map size may be too big

Out of those, every single one of them is about 99% unlikely (it imports fine off of SketchUp's exporter) besides XYZ coordinates being too far... which has to do with the scale of the map.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.