Rate This Idea: Updated N64

Conker

Rate this idea!  

1. 1. Does this seem like a good idea to you?

Imagine Nintendo releasing an updated model of the Nintendo 64, with a slew of new features. How would you feel about this?

Do keep in mind, it wouldn't be a full-fledged system to face off with Nintendo's competitors, but more like a budget system they could release to help increase their profits.

It could have access to its own version of the eShop, filled with digital versions of N64 games that you can purchase and download for a low price; that would be pretty cool, yeah?

Of course, its hardware would be a tad more updated, to hopefully eliminate lag in most/all games(I don't know if that can be done without editing games to take advantage of the new hardware or not, so don't shoot me) as well as maybe upping their resolution a bit(dunno if that can be done without editing, either). If not, the expansion pack would be built into every unit. Anyways, here's more details about this imaginary system:

1. Internal Memory: For storing downloaded games and save data.
  2. Built-in Expansion Pack/Possible Updated Specs: For those games that require it.
  3. Nintendo 64-specific eShop: To purchase and download N64 games, of course.
  4. Cartridge Slot: For those who still own N64 games.
  5. Rip Save Data From Catridges/Memory Pack: In case of data corruption, whether it's a dead cartridge battery, or a corrupted memory pack, back up your precious save data to the internal storage for safe-keeping.
  6. Redesigned Wireless N64 Controller: For a more comfortable gaming experience, and no pesky wires to bog you down. Optional controller ports for original N64 controllers, too, for those who still own them.
  7. Possible Netplay Functionality: For multiplayer games, with dedicated servers from Nintendo. This is very doable, especially by Nintendo themselves.

Okay, honestly, I think it sounds like a pretty damn cool system. But hey, what do you all think? That's what I'm more interested in knowing.

Please leave a vote! And maybe, if you feel like it, post a reply detailing your thoughts on this whole thing. :)

• Like 2

Good idea, yes, but I'd only be interested if it was done perfectly, with no compatibility issues, etc. And that said, there's two problems that I see: replicating the base hardware and original game and peripheral support.

The base hardware would either need to be the original hardware, to maintain perfect compatibility with all games and all real cartridges, or an equally compatible reimplementation. The former would mean getting obsolete chips back into production - a mid-90s MIPS CPU, Nintendo's/SGI's graphics and sound hardware and the RDRAM - while the latter I fear might be impossible even for Nintendo, as that would AFAIK basically be an emulator in hardware - and we all know how, realistically speaking, terrible N64 emulation is, including Nintendo's own efforts on VC. I mean, the games that are on VC run well, but try to run something that isn't on VC by injecting the ROM into another game's emulator, it's hit-and-miss.

Support for the original cartridges and peripherals is probably quite difficult as well, especially if they'd go for the reimplemented hardware approach instead of authentic chips. I'm not sure if they'd be able to test every single game and every single piece of hardware released for the machine back in its day. If it doesn't have 100% compatibility, it's no better than existing software-only solutions like VC or our hobbyist emulators like PJ64, Nemu or Mupen64. Imagine plugging in a cartridge of Rouge Squadron, expecting it to work like it does on an old N64, only to find garbled graphics or no graphics at all. Well, too bad, looks like the developers did their own thing with the graphics Ucode, sorry! Things like the Transfer Pak, or more obscure extensions like the microphone and VRU for Hey You Pikachu might be problematic, too. I don't know of any emulator to emulate the latter's voice recognition hardware period, and Transfer Pak emulation appears to be limited to basic data exchange, with the GB Tower in the Pokemon Stadium games, which lets you play the GB games on the TV SGB-style, not working at all.

That original hardware support would likely also be the deciding factor for me to buy one of these. If they cannot guarantee that every game works on it, or if it doesn't have a cartridge slot at all and only has downloadable games, I wouldn't buy it. Only having downloadable games would simply make this a stand-alone Virtual Console, which in turn would likely mean that, first, only the "big games" would come out for it, only things Nintendo can legally put out (bye-bye GoldenEye!), and second, that there's the chance of them dropping support after a year or two, considering the so-so job they've been doing with VC on Wii and 3DS.

In short, it sounds like an interesting idea, and if it was done well I'd really think about getting one, but I can't see this working out in practice.

• Like 1

I would kill for a better controller.

I have about six or seven controllers right now, and all are in some state of being cleaned, taken apart and put back together. I'm always searching for the "perfect" controller, and I've even considered forking over the money for a brand new in-the-box N64 JUST for the darned controller inside. I'm that desperate.

I have a 3rd party controller that somewhat works well, but the joystick is very long and just high enough to make it uncomfortable for long periods of gaming. Plus the controller is about the size of an xbox controller.

The rest of the controllers are between "this sucks, the character isn't going in the direction I want him to" to "well, at least he's moving". Seriously, why do the joysticks suck so much on the older N64?

I think if Nintendo did re-release a budget system for N64 games, they would also have to deal with the problem of the start-up issues. You know, the classic "blow into the cartridge to make it work" sort of thing? How is there a way to eliminate that completely? I have about 3 N64 systems and only one of them works every single time, and I still have to incorporate that blowing trick (I know, you aren't supposed to do that--but darn it, it works!).

And then, the games that are considered good and classic they would have to get the rights to. Banjo-Kazooie, DK64, and GoldenEye (any Rare game really), ect. They have gotten the rights to DKCountry as that has been on VC.

I would love to see a new generation play the games I grew up with though. N64 holds a special place for me. It would worry me if they did release a "budget system" though, because they did release the Mini Wii...and yeah.

EDIT: Frankly, I'd like to see a re-release of the Disk Drive for the system. That would be fun.

• Like 2

Let's be ambitious : Goldeneye with no lag, all levels fully available on multiplayer, internet multiplayer with and without showing all screens (and making 4vs4 possible). That's the dream.

But yeah, i would buy the n64 you described if it's compatible with my cartridges.

• Like 1

If it happens I hope people will start using it to make the crazy handheld consoles rather than wasting a prefectly working original n64 for an impossible to hold "handheld" console, I admit I do have a massive pet pieve with ruining working consoles and games to use them as donors (if the case is destroyed I'm totaly ok with making a new one to hold them). 

• Like 1

The only plausible way I see this happening is using overclocked N64s with flash carts that have internet capability. Custom controllers are completely possible.

I don't have a problem with the occasional lag on my system, but I have heard GoldenEye is pretty bad--never really played that game though, shooters aren't my thing. The most lag I ever notice is with the Ganondorf fight when you shoot him with a light arrow and the game slows to a crawl--preventable if you don't look at it of course. Mario 64 has lag in odd spots, but it always lags around Bowser's sub. I can't think of any other game I own that has memorable lag issues.

I don't see Nintendo releasing flash carts with any system.

• Like 1

I don't see Nintendo releasing flash carts with any system.

Obviously not for just any common ROM you find on the net, but having those instead of internal memory to download games from ex. the eShop to. Plus, there's precedent for that: the Nintendo Power cartridges (not the magazine) for Game Boy and Super Famicom in Japan, and by extension the Famicom Disk System before, whose disks could also be rewritten at special kiosks.

• Like 1

Obviously not for just any common ROM you find on the net, but having those instead of internal memory to download games from ex. the eShop to. Plus, there's precedent for that: the Nintendo Power cartridges (not the magazine) for Game Boy and Super Famicom in Japan, and by extension the Famicom Disk System before, whose disks could also be rewritten at special kiosks.

Oh, pfft, yeah, I immediately thought of just roms. XD Yeah, that makes sense.

Oh I forgot to mention Nintendo kinda did something very like this already: The iQue. It has a feature where you plug it into your computer and it can download games (for a fee) onto itself. Google it for more info.

Yeah, I've known about it for quite some time. it was just to get their business in China through some legal loophole, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure, but I think when I was a kid, and my family stayed in the Eldorado Hotel in Reno, they had one of those, or something similar. It was pretty cool.

Anyways, I find the idea I presented way more appealing than the iQue, to be honest. Though, judging by some posts in here, it doesn't seem entirely doable, which is a shame. :/

I'm not sure, but I think when I was a kid, and my family stayed in the Eldorado Hotel in Rendo, they had one of those, or something similar. It was pretty cool.

Can't say for sure, but that sounds like a Lodgenet N64 system, or some Lodgenet thingy in general. Never seen one in real life, tho, just photos of the controller, screenshots and the like.

• Like 1

/me slaps himself

I misspelled Reno as Rendo. .-.

Can't say for sure, but that sounds like a Lodgenet N64 system, or some Lodgenet thingy in general. Never seen one in real life, tho, just photos of the controller, screenshots and the like.

Oh my God, nostalgia boost! That is definitely what I remember from that hotel. o.o
controller.jpg

EDIT:
Also remember this menu, too:
5880216952_aeca9f7b58.jpg

5879646403_df82dc1c50.jpg

• Like 3

I think if Nintendo did re-release a budget system for N64 games, they would also have to deal with the problem of the start-up issues.

You know, the classic "blow into the cartridge to make it work" sort of thing? How is there a way to eliminate that completely? 

Mine works on the flick of the switch, the first time. :D Problem?

• Like 1

It sucks to be me my Goldeneye and Ocarina of time are BROKE thenwhen I can across them both AND majora mask I didn't grabTHEM!!!!!!!!! IM MAD AT MY SELF AGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! NOW SOME DOPE IS PLAYIN THEM CAUSE THEY BOUGHT THEM!! oh yeah giadrosich check this out :) http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Joystick/dp/B000F7V2GO or this http://www.videogamemuseum.com/2011/05/15/n64-joystick-repair/

• Like 1

*shamefully raises hand* I almost stole a hotel n64 controller. It had a really good stick on it. My original plan was to steal just the stick and replace it with a joystick I had with me. But the darn screws were covered up. And I didn't have the guts to take the whole thing. But that shows how desperate I was for a good controller.

*shamefully raises hand* I almost stole a hotel n64 controller. It had a really good stick on it. My original plan was to steal just the stick and replace it with a joystick I had with me. But the darn screws were covered up. And I didn't have the guts to take the whole thing. But that shows how desperate I was for a good controller.

Shame on you! *steals it instead

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.