Am I the only one not bitching about the new Dante?

Conker

Bitching DMC Fans  

1. 1. Do you have a habit of bitching over the new Dante?

• No, I don't bitch over pointless things!
    • Yes, I love bitching over pointless things(and I also have a small penis)!

What i have understod is that the new Dante is a "successor" to the old one. I may aswell be totally wrong. The answer to that will we find in the full game. Anyway i played the demo and can say its okej, I feel like this new Dante is more, how can i put it? cocky and immature in a good way. All we can hope is that the full game will play like the old dmc games.

Dont like the new design, but wont waste time bitching about it.

Thank you! That's the mature way way to go about it; if only other DMC fans would do the same.

Issus:

I looove the new Dante, both his looks AND personality. He's hilarious. xD

-- Transmitted by an ancient satellite from across the cosmic web. Or my cellphone, if you prefer.

Spoken as someone who's only played the second game for a grand total of 8 minutes out of the entire series, I feel like the first picture more captures the feel of a badass from the darkest depths of hell born to kick the former and raise the latter, while the second just seems more thuglike. I can see why preference might shift toward the original design, but I also don't see any reason to raise such a huge fuss.

Thank you! That's the mature way way to go about it; if only other DMC fans would do the same.

Issus:

I looove the new Dante, both his looks AND personality. He's hilarious. xD

-- Transmitted by an ancient satellite from across the cosmic web. Or my cellphone, if you prefer.

I also like his new personality, he is bad ass in a different way this time around. I'm not a fan of the punk look personally, I understand they were going for a more western look. I would have liked him to have maybe a similar look to a metal head? Not with all the studs and that, just long hair and a beard. Besides all that the game play itself looks awesome, and am very exited for it.

Honestly, I prefer the old Dante a lot more, but I can live with the new design. I also don't really like the logic of 5 million year old demons saying the word fuck every other word, like that ugly vomiting spider demon did in the trailer. I am a DMC fan, yes, and I think that alone should be enough to give this new game a chance. Suck up the change and look at it optimistically as opposed to buttdevastatedly. But still... everything in the game I could suck up, but the constant use of language still... off puts me. It just doesn't make logical sense to me. >>;

The whole concept of the game isn't logical compared to something like real life. So, naturally, adding in excess f-bombs is honestly no big deal at all.

(Also, I curse more than this guy does, so again, it really isn't that farfetched)

The whole concept of the game isn't logical compared to something like real life. So, naturally, adding in excess f-bombs is honestly no big deal at all.

I disagree. Though the story concept may be unrealistic, that's not at all to say dialogue (as a general concept, not the dialogue in this specific game) is as well. I'm not sure if developers are trying to appeal to a target audience or just have their game come off as more edgy, but I find this sort of dialogue writing ultimately ends up taking all the weight out of the word, and after a certain threshold, it becomes difficult for me to take it seriously--compare a case like this, for example, to children who play Call of Duty online. Conversely, when you come across a game that employs the use of profanity but only in one or two cases, chances are those are scenes that leave a major impact on its players, hence why I would say it's much more effective.

I just want to point out that it's all personal preference, and I happen to like the dialogue.

Also, Nero exaggerated quite a bit; there is not cursing every other word, at all. Sure, there's a lot, but not to that extent.

At least, from what I saw in the demo. So, no, it's not as bad as he made it out to be, at all.

Honestly, in a good bit of cases, at least from what I saw in the trailer, my statement is only mildly exaggerated.

Dante: Fuck you!

Spider Demon: Fuck you!

Dante: FUCK YOU!

Spider Demon: FUCK YO-BAAAAAAARF

(Yes, there are actual quotes, I shit you not.)

Another example would be the Big Bad shown at the end of the trailer. I wouldn't have a problem with the language, but the fact that these are age old demons we're dealing with, it just doesn't make sense that they would have such nasty mouths. People didn't talk like that back then, and someone from that time wouldn't start talking like that. It just all is distasteful to me and doesn't sit well. Not good writing, doesn't make sense. If it were a newage demon or some sort of manmade demon, (like in say, Hellsing, for example), it'd make sense, because they're from this time and age where some people do in fact talk like that. I don't mind Dante's language, because it totally makes sense that he would talk like that, along with his thugish backstory and all that Ninja Theory is giving him. That's what bothers me. Not the design or direction of the game, the dialogue is what bugs me. But hell, I'll still play the game, because it looks like a good game, Devil May Cry or otherwise.

Oh, this is just my own personal beef with it and I by no means expect anyone else to feel the same way. As a writer myself, it just makes no sense at all, and that really bugs me, especially with my extreme OCD. It just isn't consistent with anything. You wouldn't expect, say, Jesus of Nazareth to rise from the dead and start talking like a thug, right?

• 1 month later...

Bumping my topic with a hilarious post I found while browsing Kotaku:

Old Dante looks like a FF reject; androgynous, skinny, and probably rides a unicorn. The new Dante (aside from being the typical, boring, pale-faced, white, dark-haired male) is at least appealing, and looks like a man. People who hate on the new Dante usually wish they looked more like that themselves.
I agree.

EDIT:

Also,

lel

The first version they had for his hair was fucking stupid(it might have been the angle or something but I remember its was a game informer screenshot) however the current one(I think) looks OK the thing is I think it looks great white though and I find it cool its unlock able once you beat the game(besides being in sparta mode) ( and shit am I using parentheses allot)

EDIT:

Almost forgot to mention Virgil looks fucking cool really like his new design.

I'm with HellRaiser on this one. I agree that entities nearly as old as time itself should probably seem a little more serious. Besides, I would find it more interesting and humorous seeing someone curse out an age old demon that's sounding somewhat.... like what Raise said it should. It would add the prefferable sort of irony to the scene. As for the look..... there are some pros and cons to both appearances, but my personal preference is the old look. Then again, I tend to be more partial to an anime-like look, which white hair and a red cloak tends to remind me of.

So if having ancient demons curse is not normal, I get the impression it hasn't been done too many times.

Yay, looks like Ninja Theory ACTUALLY has some originality, instead of having cliché demons with ancient speak.

...yeah, I still see nothing wrong with this.

Also, has anyone ever considered the fact that this game is in an alternate universe(like almost every video game ever)? Who is to say demons do not and shouldn't actually talk that way there...? So that means, if they were talking all ancient-like, then there would be a problem. But meh, I'm a noob with anything DMC; this is the game that got me into the series, after all, so I could be completely wrong about that point I just made.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.