Wii U release date and price

Zeth Ryder

Posted Image

Nintendo finally announced the Wii U's release date and price today, the console will come in two different packages, both releasing on November 18th, 2012 in North America. The Deluxe black set will cost you $349 and The Basic white version will run $299. The Wii U will have 2GB of memory, 1GB for games and 1 GB for system memory. Its discs will have a 25GB capacity and are not Blu-Ray. It will be backwards compatible with the Wii. Additionally, the console will support all Wii accessories. The Premium bundle will come with the Wii U Console, Wii U Gamepad, Ac adapter for each, High speed HDMI cable, Wii U sensor bar, 32GB HDD instead of 8, Gamepad Charging Cradle, Stands for gamepad and console, Nintendo Land, enrolled in the deluxe digital promotion that earns you points for your digital downloads that can go toward software purchases on Nintendo's online store, while the Basic bundle will come with just the Wii U Console, Wii U Gamepad, Ac adapter for each, High speed HDMI cable, Wii U sensor bar, and 8GB HDD. Nintendo's director of strategic partnerships, Zach Fountain, has said Nintendo TVii(a software support built into the gamepad to watch digital programming through the Wii U and controller) will support "all" cable and dish carriers in the US and Canada, this also includes Netflix and Hulu subscriptions. The only requirement for signing up is entering your cable, dish, or stream provider account information into the Wii U. DVR and TiVO functionality will work in a similar manner.

• Like 1

And it was already stated a very long time ago it was cut, to boot.

Anyways, I'll just get the basic bundle. Granted Nintendo doesn't have some proprietary hard drive in the thing, and it's not formatted in some weird way, I'll just swap it out with another.

Because, honestly, all I need is more memory from the deluxe bundle, and it's not even that much more they give you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Anyways, I'll just get the basic bundle. Granted Nintendo doesn't have some proprietary hard drive in the thing, and it's not formatted in some weird way, I'll just swap it out with another.

Because, honestly, all I need is more memory from the deluxe bundle, and it's not even that much more they give you.

It's actually not a HDD as far as I'm aware, but flash memory (again). They have said that you can use USB storage devices, tho, so I sure hope you'll be able to use it just like the internal storage. Meaning unlike the Wii, and how running channels from SD card there still temporarily copies them into the flash IIRC...

Besides that, today was an enlightening day for those interested in the Wii U. The software line-up looks diverse enough, Bayonetta 2 exclusively on Wii U was an interesting revelation (tho I've yet to play the first one), and... hm, Europe - yet again - wasn't told an official price point. Doesn't really matter to me, tho, as I'm sure I'll be very late to the party again, like with the Wii.

Plan to get a Wii U, looks pretty top notch, funny part it has more connectivity then SEN and unlike failed 360 and its the only console in the market you have to pay to use its online services. Free online is the

way to go while providing other services, M$ better learn to follow in the real trend.

WARNING! I'm gonna get real pessimistic

I dont like the new controller. :/

why not stick with the game cube controller, it was almost perfect IMO.

The new Wii U controller looks annoying to use.

The buttons aren't even colour coded. :o

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THE NEW CONTROLLER?

Posted Image

WARNING! I'm gonna get real pessimistic

I dont like the new controller. :/

why not stick with the game cube controller, it was almost perfect IMO.

The new Wii U controller looks annoying to use.

The buttons aren't even colour coded. :o

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THE NEW CONTROLLER?

Posted Image

While the gcube controller was nice, it was far from perfect and honestly I welcome the pro controller's design, it seems more designed to fit comfortably in your hands while its button colour scheme is no different then the DS, 3DS, and Wii has been. N64 and Gcube were the only ones that did coloured buttons (except super famicom that was released in Japan, and I think the PAL SNES had the coloured controllers?)

The GCN controller was really good controller in my opinion, although I do prefer the Xbox 360 one by this point. And seeing how the Wii U Pro controller seems like it's more or less a, well, cousin of the X360 one... well, I like it.

N64 and Gcube were the only ones that did coloured buttons (except super famicom that was released in Japan, and I think the PAL SNES had the coloured controllers?)

True about the PAL SNES, so I'd say it's more appropriate to say the US SNES is the only one that didn't do colored buttons? :P

EDIT: Beaten by a minute or so :P

Edited by xdaniel

The GCN controller was really good controller in my opinion, although I do prefer the Xbox 360 one by this point. And seeing how the Wii U Pro controller seems like it's more or less a, well, cousin of the X360 one... well, I like it.

True about the PAL SNES, so I'd say it's more appropriate to say the US SNES is the only one that didn't do colored buttons? :P

EDIT: Beaten by a minute or so :P

Yeah, We got the weird SNES compared to the rest of the world.

US:

Posted Image

Japan:

Posted Image

Pal:

Posted Image

I honestly find the GameCube controller to be one of my favorites, it fits pretty comfortably and has a unique, memorable layout. The Wii U pro controller seems to take more after a standardized, symmetrical design, which, while potentially easier on the hands, I do find to be a less than welcome shift toward the mainstream. Then again, dat sleek black shininess :V

I never understood colour coded buttons to begin with, having them lettered worked perfectly fine, its not like the game is like "MAKE SURE YOU PRESS THE GIANT PINK BUTTON! DON'T FORGET TO BLOCK WITH THE GREEN BUTTON! PRESS ALL THE YELLOW BUTTONS!" <--- I mean personally I thought it was ridiculous when they told you about the A blue action button in OOT, its not like you couldn't already tell by the A letter on the button. Plus games tell you by letter most of the time or show the button in general but seriously. XD

The layout is fine by me. As far as the layout goes, it's like a PS1/PS2/PS3 controller(analog sticks across from each other).

Though, the main difference here being the the buttons and stick's positions are reversed compared to a PlayStation controller, which is still fine by me.

I always preferred PlayStation controllers, anyways. So I love the layout.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.