Young Link to Adult Link port

JDYoungLink1

Question

I've been curious why hasn't anyone ported Oot Young Link over Adult Link? My question is if young Link was ported over link just his character model not items would he be able to use the hookshot and the stuff Young Link is supposed to be able to use properly? its just something that has been bugging me for a while and I would like a second opinion. Also are there any Tutorial that teach how to port(display list) characters over others. I've seen samus over adult link, mario over young link are there any easy to follow tutorials out there that teach this sort of thing?

11 answers to this question

Guest sakura

There's really no point in porting young Link over adult Link though, it seems like something that would be needlessly complex. If you want Young Link to be able to use certain items like the megaton hammer. hookshot and bow, the much cleaner way is to tack the model data from those on the end of Young Link's zobj. I think it was Dark_Link-77 that did this a long time ago, and it allowed for using at least the megaton hammer just fine. Unless I misunderstood the intent of what you're going for.

Even if you did all of this, He would still be floating in mid-air because of something with Hierarchy. The tutorial? It's just display list porting, only with body parts instead of Items.

Yea I know what you mean I seen spinout port kafei over Adult Link and he floats. So yeah porting over adult link isn't the best idea.

There's really no point in porting young Link over adult Link though, it seems like something that would be needlessly complex. If you want Young Link to be able to use certain items like the megaton hammer. hookshot and bow, the much cleaner way is to tack the model data from those on the end of Young Link's zobj. I think it was Dark_Link-77 that did this a long time ago, and it allowed for using at least the megaton hammer just fine. Unless I misunderstood the intent of what you're going for.

Yea I know about he did it in the Zelda's Birthday mod, I just don't know he did it.

What i really would like is to be able to use adults Links items properly such as the arrows and Hookshot I've seen the arrows edited so i know it possible.

does anyone know how to port(swap) items like this guy

Yea I know what you mean I seen spinout port kafei over Adult Link and he floats. So yeah porting over adult link isn't the best idea.

Yea I know about he did it in the Zelda's Birthday mod, I just don't know he did it.

What i really would like is to be able to use adults Links items properly such as the arrows and Hookshot I've seen the arrows edited so i know it possible.

does anyone know how to port(swap) items like this guy

watch?v=qGLJfCfU5fo&feature=plcp

Really, all you have to do is... :

• Port the display list(s) of desired items over to Young Link's ZOBJ (Hookshot and Bow are trickier...)
  • Fix the item highlight tables for said items to be selectable as Young Link
  • Fix the item usability tables for said items to be used by Young Link.
  • Fix the Corresponding Young and Adult Link display list tables for said items.
Links :I asked this same question... : http://z64.spinout18...topic,84.0.html

... Before I made a topic about this last year : http://glitchkill.pr...85&page=2#53488

If you need help, message me on Skype. My username is Casis777

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Bow or hookshot with just that information, though.

i know what you mean but hey its a start.

Really, all you have to do is... :

• Port the display list(s) of desired items over to Young Link's ZOBJ (Hookshot and Bow are trickier...)
  • Fix the item highlight tables for said items to be selectable as Young Link
  • Fix the item usability tables for said items to be used by Young Link.
  • Fix the Corresponding Young and Adult Link display list tables for said items.
Links :I asked this same question... : http://z64.spinout18...topic,84.0.html

... Before I made a topic about this last year : http://glitchkill.pr...85&page=2#53488

If you need help, message me on Skype. My username is Casis777

I knew a about the child to Adult Link Highlight and Usability table. The problem is the porting part and getting the Player_ovl function(you guys know what i mean) to work I'm terrible at display list porting :(.

Thanks Jason for the info I'll try and make the best use of it can. I going to try so if a few a hour i be back to let you guys know how it went. I think i get it.

Im going to attempt to port the arrow over the slingshot bullets not the bow.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Bow or hookshot with just that information, though.

Young Link already uses the bow correctly, it's exactly the same item (in functionality) as the slingshot. The reason they only shoot seeds as a child and arrows as an adult is because Link's actor decides what can be fired based on age only. The video posted above changes what variable the actor loads for the arrows/seeds, I explained it originally in the post here. Being able to use both bow and slingshot would require a bit of assembly hacking both to get the models to load properly and for Link's actor to be able to distinguish between the two, so it's actually quite complex... that goes for both adult and child. In short, using only one of the items (ex. both use only bow or slingshot) is relatively easy but using both items is hard.

If anybody knows what causes the crash when child Link tries to use the hookshot (I've never looked) then I should be able to find a way to make it usable.

If anybody knows what causes the crash when child Link tries to use the hookshot (I've never looked) then I should be able to find a way to make it usable.

I'd hazard a guess that the most likely cause is pulling it out results in trying to load nonexistent data in Young Link's display list, hence the crash. Haven't actually looked into it though, so I'm not totally sure.

I'd hazard a guess that the most likely cause is pulling it out results in trying to load nonexistent data in Young Link's display list, hence the crash. Haven't actually looked into it though, so I'm not totally sure.

Not only that, It seems young link gets frozen in the animation, so its possible that maybe part of the problem.

Young Link already uses the bow correctly, it's exactly the same item (in functionality) as the slingshot. The reason they only shoot seeds as a child and arrows as an adult is because Link's actor decides what can be fired based on age only. The video posted above changes what variable the actor loads for the arrows/seeds, I explained it originally in the post here. Being able to use both bow and slingshot would require a bit of assembly hacking both to get the models to load properly and for Link's actor to be able to distinguish between the two, so it's actually quite complex... that goes for both adult and child. In short, using only one of the items (ex. both use only bow or slingshot) is relatively easy but using both items is hard.

thanks DeathBasket It work I was able to use the arrows, The hookshot appears to be very tricky. Zeth's right about young Link Frozen in animation which makes it harder to understand whats really going on. Not only is young Link frozen getting hit by an enemy doesn't even make the getting hurt animation to snap Link out of it he simply takes damage and can't move. Also when he's in water he just floats but cant move howerer his legs move(don't know if thats useful at all).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.