The Effects of Call of Duty

Gump

Thanks, Call of Duty! You successfully ruined a pretty good franchise.

On April 30th, 2012, an article was posted about the development of Timesplitters 4. Or, rather, the non-development. Timesplitters was a huge part of my life when I was younger. I remember my brothers friends coming over and playing TS2 on our Gamecube, then later playing TSFP on our XBox. I was excited to hear that a Timesplitters 4 was suppose to be in development, but to no avail, it will never come out. Reason why? Call of Duty. Apparently, nobody wants to publish a game that isn't Call of Duty. At least, not an FPS. Too risky, apparently.

People need to realize what Call of Duty has done. It has literally erased a franchise from being made. It's not even like Call of Duty is a good series. Boring, repetitive. I admit to like Call of Duty 4, but that's it. The rest have ruined the industry.

Call of Duty, please gtfo.

Oh, dear. That's rather unfortunate. :/

Though, while I hate Call of Duty with a passion, I actually think Black Ops 2 will be good. Why? They're actually doing something new in the series for the first time in many, many years.

EDIT:

I just read the article, but I am really confused, as I cannot find Call of Duty messing with the game anywhere in it. :P

This news is going to hurt my brother a lot. He has been looking forward to TS4 for a VERY long time. With the lack of time he has for video games anymore, he was actually going to take some time off for when it came out and hang out with me to play it. I'm losing my brother everyday and this makes it this much harder to be with him.

Guest sakura

Disclaimer: I don't personally like the Call of Duty games

I wanted to point out something, as I don't feel it's entirely fair to place the blame on one game series in particular. Having a very popular game doesn't automatically crush any competition within the genre. Just take a look at Valve's FPS games, they've competed and remained very profitable. Individual games / game series will either succeed or fail based pretty much only on how many people are willing to buy them. As much as I wish it were different, the truth is Call of Duty and similar FPS's are simply what a large number of people want to play. That's why we'll continue to get remake after remake, at the end of the day they bring in a profit.

To be fair, using Call of Duty as a scapegoat is kinda pathetic. I'm not a CoD fanatic, but I can appreciate them somewhat. If only there weren't so many modders.

The devs for Timesplitters are just using CoD to disguise their lack of motivation for continuing what they started. Kinda comparable to Dampé with his OOT2D game.

you gotta be shiting me ts was a huge part of my life as well and me and my friends still love and play the shit out of that game hey call of duty fuck off no one wants you

Speaking for EVERYBODY makes one look like a fool(not trying to be rude here, I just hate it when people do that).

I guess since I desperately want Black Ops II in my 360's disc drive, that makes me a nobody. Hrm.

Gotta agree with you there, Nyan Pony. While I don't particularly like Call of Duty (or any mainstream FPS games, for that matter), there are certainly more eloquent ways of expressing one's distaste for the game that don't generalize the world's opinion on it. Let's face the sad truth--if nobody really wanted it, Call of Duty would have long since dropped out of the market.

Before I go on this rant please remember, this is my opinion, if don't agree with it, ignore it.

Call of Duty 4 is where it all started, it sold very well and was very fun at the time. I'm assuming the thought process Infinity Ward had was something like this, "Since it worked this time, it will most likely work forever!" Then Activision, Infinity Ward, and Treyarch continued to do the same thing, over and over again. Notice how Modern Warfare 3 looks exactly like Modern Warfare 2. Why do you ask? People want Call of Duty, it's a fact, the sales show it (unfortunately.) With each re-release of a Call of Duty game in November, it sells more than it previously did. The reason for this is our society is full of young conformists. If you notice, many people that currently play Call of Duty are very immature and under the age of 17 (though there are plenty of exceptions.) That is Activision's target audience because they know these people won't stop playing or buying Call of Duty as long as it stays moderately popular. It's unfathomable how many people are attracted to such a stupid idea. "Let's make the same game 10 times for 10 years and maybe we'll become billionaires!" Well, they have pretty much succeeded that so far.

War is a terrible thing, why someone would want to simulate it is absolutely baffling. I simulated it for a while, and I'm absolutely baffled by myself. Not only did it ruin the Timesplitters series but it is also ruining the video game industry as a whole. Now the stereotypical gamer is a screaming, squeaky-voiced 10 year old. Call of Duty does much more bad than it does good. Activision should have stopped trying to push the development of Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 2. But no, they did the exact opposite.

I agree with To Coool when he says:

Call of Duty, please gtfo.

Please refer to Shadow's and Sakura's posts.

Also, if I feel any Call of Duty should "gtfo", it needs to be any one that comes from Infinity Ward; they are too idiotic to try anything new, and only release games that can be classified as standalone expansion packs to the previous ones.

Treyarch, on the other hand, is doing a lot of GOOD for Call of Duty by trying something new with Black Ops II. That is something Infinity Ward would never have the balls to do, EVER.

So, in short, I don't give two flying hoots about your opinion simply because you ignorantly dissed Treyarch for being just like Infinity Ward when THEY ARE NOT.

Good day, you finely-dressed pelican.

Sent from my swiper using Tapatalk 2

Disclaimer: I don't personally like the Call of Duty games

I wanted to point out something, as I don't feel it's entirely fair to place the blame on one game series in particular. Having a very popular game doesn't automatically crush any competition within the genre. Just take a look at Valve's FPS games, they've competed and remained very profitable. Individual games / game series will either succeed or fail based pretty much only on how many people are willing to buy them. As much as I wish it were different, the truth is Call of Duty and similar FPS's are simply what a large number of people want to play. That's why we'll continue to get remake after remake, at the end of the day they bring in a profit.

You got a point there.

No offence Nyan, but I really lost faith in Black Ops 2. At first, it seemed like a fresh new start, but as time went on, it seemed distant from anything in the series. The game itself baffled me when i saw horses being ridden in a futuristic scene.

May I ask you how that makes no sense? A major plot point is machines turning on your country, being used against you.

Sometimes, you have to go back to more reliable methods of transportation; in this instance, they chose equestrian transportation.

I would certainly choose it over a machine that wants to murder me.

Lol, you know what? Your post baffles me.

Jeez, I didn't that this topic would draw this much attention. Honestly, opinions can be opinions, not one is more right than another. If you like COD: BO2, that's cool. That's not the point of this topic.

The main reason why I'm so upset about this is because that this series is made by the same people who really started the console FPS. In other words, it was made by the same people who made Goldeneye. Yes, technically it was made by Rare, but the development team from Rare who made it actually branched off and became known as Free Radical Design, who we know as the people who created the Timesplitters franchise (They later were bought by Crytek, and became known as Crytek U.K.). Let's face it: COD is a LOT more popular on consoles rather than computers. Hell, that's why they moved CoD to consoles; because it was more popular. You can take it my way or you can take it Shadows way. But you still cannot deny that COD has a huge effect on the FPS market, if not, the whole game market.

I'm personally a Halo fan. Halo 3 was my first real FPS since goldeneye. I lost faith in reach, but halo 4 is regaining it. But Call of Duty does seem to be overrated in my opinion. Everybody wants that instant gratification and fast-based modern combat.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

That must be the fault of 3arc or Activision are the creators of call of duty

Activision is right to create cod4 I like a little black ops but others almost did not like.

3arc? Never heard of such a thing. You mean Infinity Ward, or Treyarch? They're the ones who make Call of Duty games. Activision's just the director, they can't make the games.

personally, i don't really like cod multi-player or infinity ward. my opinion: they do make the same game over and over.(again that's my opinion, plz don't say its wrong because that's just stupid. opinions cant be wrong or right) the one thing i like about treyarch's cod is zombies. weather or not black ops 2 zombies is like cod 5 or black ops 1 zombies will determine weather or not i buy the game. i liked cod 5 zombies better because it was simple. you didn't need to be a nerd/genius to figure something out. anyways, if call of duty (lol duty) does something different for once (maybe black ops 2 will) i think a lot less people will hate it, maybe. i am not saying cod is terrible or is a god, i'm just stating my opinion. thank you.

personally, i don't really like cod multi-player or infinity ward. my opinion: they do make the same game over and over.(again that's my opinion, plz don't say its wrong because that's just stupid. opinions cant be wrong or right) the one thing i like about treyarch's cod is zombies. weather or not black ops 2 zombies is like cod 5 or black ops 1 zombies will determine weather or not i buy the game. i liked cod 5 zombies better because it was simple. you didn't need to be a nerd/genius to figure something out. anyways, if call of duty (lol duty) does something different for once (maybe black ops 2 will) i think a lot less people will hate it, maybe. i am not saying cod is terrible or is a god, i'm just stating my opinion. thank you.

I understand that opinions are never wrong nor right. You don't have to explain yourself. As for Call of Duty, I will agree (as will many people) that it is rehashed, and it has been multiple times. I'm more of a Halo fan than I am COD, but I do believe that Black Ops 2 will be promising. I mean, they have HORSES. You cannot get more awesome than that!

But in all seriousness, the Zombies mode will be enhanced and changed up a little. Treyarch doesn't make the same mistakes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.