What Do You Think of my First Map?

KevinB834

I spent a couple hours planning and making this and I am very proud of it for the fact that this is the first map I made in Sketchup. All I still have to do is add textures and find out how to add enemies, chests, and getting the doors to be doors. If you can help me with that, it will be very appreciated. :)

Screenshots:

Side View 1:

Posted Image

Side View 2:

Posted Image

Top View:

Posted Image

The map looks fine design wise, one of the main problems I can see is that most of the faces need to be reversed. If you were to import this map now, a lot of the faces wouldn't be visible from the inside. The "white" faces in SketchUp are the ones you want to be facing inwards (towards the inside of the map, or "playable areas" that you want to have seen) and the "blue" faces would be facing outwards. I trust you are using SketchUp's "group" function to group geometry together? Doing this will have the model look better and will cut off quite a few polygons in the map.

For adding actors and other things, why not use "SharpOcarina" by XDaniel? It works very well for most things, and if you know what you're doing you can get quite a lot done.

That's good. Is everything sized correctly? If the model isn't built to-scale (or a variant) it may cause a lot of problems when resizing things (if needed).

Everything is sized correctly. I know for sure the doors are sized correctly and then you can then determine how big the room would be by looking them. At the end things might not be as big as I thought but it will still be good.

SHIT MAP

Haha, I'm just kidding. This looks really awesome dude :) I like the map layout for sure. Will you be releasing a patch or an SO Project w/ source files so we can play it when it's finished? :)

Thanks and yes I will be releasing it as a patch when I finish. I also might expand on it some more if more comes to mind. This piece was designed as like the final part of the dungeon before the boss door, which is in the octagon room.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.