Replacing Sounds in Ocarina of Time Debug Version

!Tommy

Question

I know there's a thread way back concerning this issue but hasn't been updated in about two years and was never really answered so I'm following standard forum etiquette and making my own new thread.

So basically, I want to replace the sounds from Ocarina of Time with ones that come from Majora's Mask. Specifically Tatl's sound effects and possibly even convert MM Link sound effects as well. Of course the only thing that I truly want to change is Navi's sound effects since she's not starring in this game, Tatl is. heavy1390 pointed me towards the N64 Sound Tool v1.1 which extracts all sounds perfectly but doesn't seem to allow you to import sound effects into the game, at all. Is there a way around this or is there at least a way to get the new sound effects in the game?

I would most certainly appreciate any feedback on this topic.

7 answers to this question

The tool can extract raw data and you have to import it manually with a Hex Editor.

How would I begin to do this? Is there at least some sort of tutorial or something online I can follow? I actually saw a video on YouTube uploaded just three days ago of someone doing this so it's definitely possible.

Just open the rom in N64 sound tool, find the instrument you want to replace, and extract it as 16-bit raw (there's a button on the bottom right). did some poking, the sample rate is always 8000, 11025, 16000, or 18900. If you alter the it in the box and listen, you can pretty much always figure out which one it is. export a wave file for your sound in that same sample rate using whatever, then go to the base address shown in N64 sound tool in the audiotable file, copy everything ~0x100 bytes in your wav file and paste-write there.

if the your new wave file is larger than the one you're replacing, just trim off as many 0x00 (or close to 0x00) bytes from the start and end as you can to slim it down.

• Like 2

Just open the rom in N64 sound tool, find the instrument you want to replace, and extract it as 16-bit raw (there's a bottom on the bottom right). did some poking, the sample rate is always 8000, 11025, 16000, or 18900. If you alter the it in the box and listen, you can pretty much always figure out which one it is. export a wave file for your sound in that same sample rate using whatever, then go to the base address shown in N64 sound tool in the audiotable file, copy everything ~0x100 bytes in your wav file and paste-write there.

if the your new wave file is larger than the one you're replacing, just trim off as many 0x00 (or close to 0x00) bytes from the start and end as you can to slim it down.

Okay, i'm starting to understand it a little bit but I still need a bit of clarification on this to make sure I really do this right. Now, when you say export a wave, should I export it in the actual wav format or a raw wave? When I find the sound I want to replace in the ROM, I go ahead and replace it with Tatl's ding...however, it gets cranky when I do this. I have exported Tatl's ding in a raw format and basically copy and pasted making sure it would at least fit. Instead of having something garbled at the very least, the game just refuses to launch. It'll go up to 100% and then it spits out a Unhandled R4300i OpCode at: 800c6e28 Unknown 48 AF BF 00 error code at me. 

Just open the rom in N64 sound tool, find the instrument you want to replace, and extract it as 16-bit raw (there's a bottom on the bottom right). did some poking, the sample rate is always 8000, 11025, 16000, or 18900. If you alter the it in the box and listen, you can pretty much always figure out which one it is. export a wave file for your sound in that same sample rate using whatever, then go to the base address shown in N64 sound tool in the audiotable file, copy everything ~0x100 bytes in your wav file and paste-write there.

Okay, i'm starting to understand it a little bit but I still need a bit of clarification on this to make sure I really do this right. Now, when you say export a wave, should I export it in the actual wav format or a raw wave? When I find the sound I want to replace in the ROM, I go ahead and replace it with Tatl's ding...however, it gets cranky when I do this. I have exported Tatl's ding in a raw format and basically copy and pasted making sure it would at least fit. Instead of having something garbled at the very least, the game just refuses to launch. It'll go up to 100% and then it spits out a Unhandled R4300i OpCode at: 800c6e28 Unknown 48 AF BF 00 error code at me. 

either way. I just stated to use wav because it's as close to raw pcm as you can get if your audio editor can't support exporting raw data. also, should mention that wav files can be compressed, so you need to make sure whatever tool you're using doesn't. oh, and since the audiotable is within the first 1MB of the rom, you'll need to recalculate the crc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.