N64/Zelda hacking tools (DList conversion etc)

xdaniel

What exactly it'll be able to edit is still up in the air in general, so I'm open to suggestions. I'll try to implement editing for as many things as possible.

As for matrix data porting, matrix data is generated on-the-fly according to the current animation frame, meaning the current position of the limbs - there simply is no matrix data to port. For specific vertices of a limb, the game uses the position of another limb instead of the one the currently rendered display list belongs to, then for the remaining vertices used by the display list, it uses the current limb's position.

As far as I can tell - and someone with a deeper understanding of all this please correct me - everything is actually positioned using matrices "internally" (for my lack of a better word right now) and the game generates them as needed. Actors are positioned in a room like that, doing the N64's equivalents of glTranslate and glRotate, each actor's limb are positioned that way, the camera is positioned that way, and so on. There are base matrices in certain room files, used by some elements of the room in question, but even those are in turn modified by the game to ex. make Jabu-Jabu's walls wobble, and are only a part of a grand chain of matrices anyway - from the screen's projection matrix, to the skybox, to the rooms, to (for example) Link, to Link's limbs, to the dust Link kicks up when rolling. The only things that IIRC aren't done this way are TexRects, which are what make up most of the HUD, but even those are probably affected by the projection matrix, I'm not sure.

Oh, I see. Well, the editing part will definitely be -awesome- I'm sure of that. 

I was just wondering because a long time ago I was going to make a Play As Saria, and because she has matrices connecting her limbs, they were broken. For the longest time I thought it was Hierarchy. Not necessarily porting matrix data, but at least fixing them if I were to use them for another character. I have no idea if this is just a re-wording of what I had just asked or not.

I'd guess the only additional thing you'd need to do is fix the addresses that the Mtx commands used for the joints point to... I don't have them in my head right now, but her and Link's hierarchies don't match up perfectly, I assume, in terms of which limb number is which limb... Like that ex. their left upper arms have different limb numbers, say ex. Saria's would be limb 5 while Link's would be limb 7, and their left shoulders would be limb 4 and limb 6 respectively.

If you port Saria's left upper arm and shoulder over Link's, the arm that previously needed the matrix of limb 4 (shoulder) for the connecting vertices would now need those of limb 6, because that's where Link has his shoulder. Then you'll need to fix the Mtx command that loads the matrix for the vertices connecting the upper arm with the shoulder, so that it now loads the matrix from the address of limb 6's matrix, instead of limb 4's. I guess that those Mtx command fixes are all that need to be done for the connections to work properly.

Hope that wasn't too confusing, it's kinda new to me as well, and it's 4:30 am here by now :P

Edit: In fact, if you could make a Play as Saria patch where the connections are broken (or have that old one still lying around; I'm lazy I admit), I could try to fix it.

Edited by xdaniel
  • Like 1

Leaving actor rendering aside for a bit, not least because of Saria's beard (<.<), here's a new screenshot of Sorata's level viewing and editing side:

Posted Image

The Return of the Actor Cubesâ„¢ - soon in cinemas near you!

Well, no, in all seriousness: As wonderful as proper actor rendering in rooms would be, I have decided against doing it and there's two reasons for that.

The first reason is simply how horribly incomplete actor rendering is, and how I can't see too many improvements to it short of writing a proper MIPS interpreter core, which would have to emulate each actor's code as well as any functions it might call elsewhere. There's actors whose hierarchies or animations cannot be found, there's actors whose display lists cannot be found or no distinction can be made on which of them are actually supposed to be rendered by the given actor with the given variable, there's actors whose scale for rendering cannot be found, etc., etc. All this would result in ex. actors that appear many times bigger than the room they're actually in, or actors, dungeon-specific ones in particular, who render each and every display list in their object file in one place. The result would simply not be up to the standard I'd like to have - either go all the way, which in this case isn't something I'd be able to do, or don't go at all.

The second reason is far more simple, while at the same time probably even more important: performance. While everything is still rather unoptimized, I am not sure how far I can optimize ex. Nanami's display list parsing and rendering code, considering the design I've chosen for the whole thing. Of course I'll push for optimization when the time comes, but as it stands now, rendering ex. Ganon alone drops the FPS down to 38, with other actors not faring much better. Now imagine 20 or so demanding actors being rendered in addition to the room they're in. I can't see this working well enough to warrant implementing it.

• Like 3

(First things first, holy crap this post is yet another long one <.<)

Heh, glad to hear you aren't disappointed about that, because I myself actually am a bit :P  Kinda makes me wonder how Nintendo's own editing tools displayed actors in rooms, too.

Anyway, something else feedback-wise, that might be a bit long-winded: Already before the last screenshot, I started overhauling the mouse controls. With actor editing starting to take shape, including picking them and eventually moving them via mouse, etc., I starting re-thinking how to approach the user's mouse-based interaction with the program, the 3D view in particular. Previously, the mouse was used only for camera control and selecting rooms by right-clicking, as mentioned before. Now I've started to implement "mouse modes" like UoT and Sayaka use, that control what the user can interact with and what not in the given mode.

This is something else I'd like to get feedback on, as I'm not completely sure about the most intuitive way to do this.

There's three modes currently: Camera only, room selection, and actor editing. Camera works like you'd imagine, looking around with the mouse while holding the left button, and moving around with WASD. Room selection is the same, but will additionally select any rooms that are under the mouse cursor when the user left-clicks. Meaning, you click on a room, the room is selected, and if you keep holding the button down, you can still look around. I can see this being a bit problematic if the user accidentally clicks outside of the room while trying to maneuver around. Actor editing is currently the same way, with actors being selected by left-clicking, in addition to camera movement.

About moving and selecting actors: I feel like UoT has that down pretty well, so I'm thinking of emulating its mouse control behavior for the most part, including the camera locking onto the actor cube and the mouse cursor being locked in place while moving an actor. In addition to that, I wonder if I should add keyboard modifiers that change on which axis the actor is moved? Like that if you hold Shift, the actor will only move on the X axis, or if you hold Ctrl it'll only move on the Z axis or so. Thinking of keyboard-based modifiers in particular as you can just activate them by holding a key, as opposed to having to click somewhere on the GUI or somesuch. However, will that potentially "scare away" people, having to press keys for certain things? I'd rather not use the mouse wheel to select the axis, as I'm using it to switch between mouse modes (camera, rooms, actors), but I could switch to using that if you think keyboard modifiers are the worse idea.

Not sure what else I could ask about regarding this, until after I've made a build that incorporates any suggestions you'd give me.

One more thing to report: I cut down ROM loading time for the MQ Debug ROM by a bit over a second, by rewriting how the ROM loader fetches names from the filename table. That brings the time down from ~2.6 seconds by now (with ex. searching for scene, actor and object tables, and reading them) to ~1.4 seconds, which is about what it was before I added support for the actor and object tables.

• Like 1

This may seem a little ridiculous, but would it be possible to, say, make it to where you can right click an actor cube, and render it in a new tab like a browser or something, just in case you're not 100% sure what actor it is (Like, for so long, I have no idea what demo_geff was) If that's totally stupid, ignore it :P 

First "mouse mode build": http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/SorataVSE_test2-14022013-0246.rar

Switch modes with the mouse wheel or by clicking the label in the lower right corner; camera mode just moves the camera, room selection mode allows selecting rooms by left-clicking them, actor editing mode allows selecting actor cubes by clicking (all buttons right now) and moving them around by holding the left (left/right/up/down) or middle (left/right/into screen/out of screen) mouse button. All movement is sped up by holding Space and slowed down by holding Shift. Forgot what else has changed.

Also, you will encounter instances of the GUI not updating, mainly when dragging actor cubes around, I know about that - there's a bunch of //TODO TODO TODO [...] in the code, some related to that.

Feedback about mouse control & co. is welcome! :)

Edit: Also didn't ignore you, Mallos :P  Right-clicking an actor cube will eventually open a context menu, I'll add a "Render actor" menu entry or something that'll jump to the actor viewer. As for knowing what actor is what, that's what actor definitions are gonna be for, the things that build the actor editing interface (as seen for switches and treasure chests already) which also contain a short description.

Edited by xdaniel

Man, I hate to be the one of the first persons to reply, well because, I feel bad about it when I get a error. I'm sorry Xdan , its just my bad luck. :(

you see, I tryed my debug rom but I got a error (I even named it "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA"). But then I tryed the normal rom with the same name ("THE LEGEND OF ZELDA") and it worked. but when I clicked on a scene it error'ed this.

Posted Image

Man, I hate to be the one of the first persons to reply, well because, I feel bad about it when I get a error. I'm sorry Xdan , its just my bad luck. :(

you see, I tryed my debug rom but I got a error (I even named it "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA"). But then I tryed the normal rom with the same name ("THE LEGEND OF ZELDA") and it worked. but when I clicked on a scene it error'ed this.

Non-MQ Debug ROMs aren't really supported yet, especially vanilla ones that haven't been expanded/decompressed. I just tried it with a normal 32MB NTSC v1.0 and it didn't find any scenes, while any actor gives me the exact same error message. MQ Debug ROMs should work fine, regardless of their name... What error message do you get there?

Hmm, it seems pretty good, but the actor boxes themselves don't show up for me unless I go to Room Actors and scroll down to any given actor. Is there something I'm missing here since some of your other shots show all actor boxes showing up in a room.

You did select a specific room, right? Because actors don't, and aren't supposed to, show when all rooms are rendered at once. Then again, you must have selected a room because otherwise you couldn't scroll through the actors on the Room Actors tab...

Uhm, so after selecting a room, the actor selection under Room Actors is set to "(None)" and no actor cubes show (at which point they should show). Once you scroll down to an actual actor, the cubes and the selected actor's axis marker render. Am I getting this right?

Non-MQ Debug ROMs aren't really supported yet, especially vanilla ones that haven't been expanded/decompressed. I just tried it with a normal 32MB NTSC v1.0 and it didn't find any scenes, while any actor gives me the exact same error message. MQ Debug ROMs should work fine, regardless of their name... What error message do you get there?

sorry for the delay.

Its in the spoiler. but don't sweat it too much, I'm always having problems with this debug rom, I'm going to try downloading another one from a different sight, and see if that helps.

Here:

Posted Image

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)

at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2, String path3)

at SorataVSE.ROMHandling.ROMLoader..ctor(RCPHandler r, String fn, LoaderStepEvent evnt) in C:UsersDanielDocumentsVisual Studio 2010ProjectsSorataVSESorataVSEROMHandlingROMLoader.cs:line 104

at SorataVSE.MainForm.openROMToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:UsersDanielDocumentsVisual Studio 2010ProjectsSorataVSESorataVSEMainForm.cs:line 223

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

SorataVSE

Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Sairugoth/Downloads/SorataVSE_test2-14022013-0246/Release/SorataVSE.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

OpenTK

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.278.44921

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Sairugoth/Downloads/SorataVSE_test2-14022013-0246/Release/OpenTK.DLL

OpenTK.GLControl

Win32 Version: 1.0.278.44921

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Sairugoth/Downloads/SorataVSE_test2-14022013-0246/Release/OpenTK.GLControl.DLL

TrackBar

Assembly Version: 1.0.2486.37933

Win32 Version: 1.0.2486.37933

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Sairugoth/Downloads/SorataVSE_test2-14022013-0246/Release/TrackBar.DLL

QuickFont

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Sairugoth/Downloads/SorataVSE_test2-14022013-0246/Release/QuickFont.DLL

NanamiRCP

Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Sairugoth/Downloads/SorataVSE_test2-14022013-0246/Release/NanamiRCP.DLL

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

sorry for the delay.

Its in the spoiler. but don't sweat it too much, I'm always having problems with this debug rom, I'm going to try downloading another one from a different sight, and see if that helps.

Here:

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)

at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2, String path3)

at SorataVSE.ROMHandling.ROMLoader..ctor(RCPHandler r, String fn, LoaderStepEvent evnt) in C:UsersDanielDocumentsVisual Studio 2010ProjectsSorataVSESorataVSEROMHandlingROMLoader.cs:line 104

[...]

Looking at the code, it seems to throw that exception while trying to form the path to the XML actor definitions. It uses part of the game ID for that, the two middle characters, which should be "ZL" for all OoT ROMs and might be characters that can't be used in a path in your ROM. Mind opening it in a hex editor and telling me the game title, ID and version byte? Those are at offsets 0x20, 0x3B and 0x3F, respectively. Or maybe just take a screenshot of how the beginning of your ROM file looks (both the hex values and ASCII text), where it should say "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" - kinda like this (from my working Debug ROM):

Posted Image

Eureka, I found a working rom, YES, thank the gods. :D

OK I'm good now.

Looking at the code, it seems to throw that exception while trying to form the path to the XML actor definitions. It uses part of the game ID for that, the two middle characters, which should be "ZL" for all OoT ROMs and might be characters that can't be used in a path in your ROM. Mind opening it in a hex editor and telling me the game title, ID and version byte? Those are at offsets 0x20, 0x3B and 0x3F, respectively. Or maybe just take a screenshot of how the beginning of your ROM file looks (both the hex values and ASCII text), where it should say "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" - kinda like this (from my working Debug ROM):

Posted Image

here it is (the broken one) I dont really need it any more, but just to be safe I suppose. :)

Posted Image

(sorry for the crappy Quality)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.