Questions...

BlackRose

Question

Hey guys I hate to start another Q & A thread so i'm gonna make this last one and post in it in the future when I have a question rather than keep making new ones.

So my issue right now is Obj2Area. I've used it fluently in the past and even made a mini mod with it that I released back on The GCN before it went down. Just a quick problem to address, I can import a custom map that runs perfectly fine with all releases before 5. When i put all my info into the earlier release, it works and adds the map, but with the newer ones, i put the SAME EXACT info in, and it does absolutely nothing, just loads me up in the normal middle stalfos room, no changes. Any thoughts on this?

12 answers to this question

It's better if you use a later build of obj2area, which will pause when it encounters an error and let you know if the map was not imported. This way, you can see what the problem is and post it to get better help. Which version are you using now, and which one did you use before that worked for you?

The version that works for me is release 3 I believe. I am attempting to use the latest release, 13. Like I said, I have tried both releases, and entered the same exact info, used the same ROM and OBJ file, and both releases come out to say "Success!" I load up area 104 (120 on the map select) after using the early release and the map is there, then I try loading up the same import with release 13 and it just takes me to the standard scene (Middle Stalfos Room)

Yes, same thing, im going to attempt to take some video or something of me using both releases and showing the results, but it may take me awhile, so if anyone else thinks they've got a solution in the mean time, please post it here. Thank you!

It could be because the map is too large or small. All vertices XYZ coordinates or signed (I think) and go only up to 4 hexidecimal digit places. Example:

Vertice 0x00: XXXX YYYY ZZZZ

But then again, you said you've imported the map before so I'm a bit puzzled. What units is it in and what are the coordinates of the farthest point from the origin on your map?

Ok, it's been awhile, but i've finally gotten the chance to make a video of myself importing the same map with release 2 and with release 12. As you can see in the video, I use the SAME EXACT info with both releases, and both imports are done with clean ZELOOTMA roms. The import with release 2 is successful, while the import with release 12 says "Success!" but really just puts you in the Middle Stalfos Room.

It doesn't help that your map has white faces on the wrong side but I assume your exporting your OBJ with the "double-sided faces" option checked. I always use release2 but it's still good to try to use the newer revisions of Obj2Area.

Try exporting your map with the white faces reversed (white faces are solid; blue faces are not) and then try importing with release12. Also, when it asks "ignore normals?", type 'y'. Good luck!

Thanks man! I'll have to try that as soon as I can, although, I thought that blue faces were solid and white were not? the floor that link walks on in the video when imported with release2 is actually a blue face, you just can't see it because of the textures. Also, one more quick thing, what exactly does the ignore normals function do?

I thought that blue faces were solid and white were not? the floor that link walks on in the video when imported with release2 is actually a blue face, you just can't see it because of the textures.

You're probably doing the 'export both sides' option which, while it does work insofar as allowing Link to touch the backside of those planes, still causes glitches (such as being able to sidejump through blue walls). White is what ends up as solid, so I recommend you do that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.