Ura Zelda 64DD (April Fools)

Twili

Expecting April Fools, still downloading out of curiosity.

Edit, it hangs the 64DD IPL and/or the emulation during the startup animation in a recent MESS build, while other games run (or, well, boot up) just fine. So, yeah, still guessing April Fools just based on how unlikely a sudden appearance of Ura Zelda sounds. Would love to be proven wrong, tho, for obvious reasons!

• Like 2

For what it's worth, there's some seemingly invalid Yaz0 blocks in there (don't appear to decompress correctly), but also others that are actually scene and room files, such as the blocks at 0xEC1804 and 0xEDBAB4 being Hyrule Field's scene and room:

WZIRtLS.png

I haven't checked any of these any further, because I'm still not convinced about the authenticity of this, so feel free to.

As for MESS, even though I kinda dislike EmuCR for ex. keeping to post builds of emulators that flat out don't work (like ex. of Citra, IIRC), sometimes their builds do work and can be useful: http://www.emucr.com/2015/03/mess-git-20150326.html - You'll still need the N64 and 64DD "BIOS" ROM sets, but those are easily found (hint: archive.org).

• Like 1

The chances of a blue dev disk popping up in 2015 are nilch. Didn't fall for that for a second.

The only thing I'd be interested in is how the expansion would have worked had it have been made.

The game Zelda designer Shigeru Miyamoto and his team wanted to create would be set in a persistent world. Every change Link would make to his surroundings would stick. If you smashed a box, it would stay broken. If you dug a hole, it would remain there until you covered it. If you left footsteps in the sand, they would stay. All this was supposed to be made possible by the enhanced storage space of the 64DD.

If they're quoting something that Miyamoto had said, it sounds like they had intended for there to be a shovel as an obtainable item and that there would be a beach.

Ura was meant to add more content to Ocarina Of time, with new mini-games, new sub-quest, redesigned and new dungeons. In an interview, Miyamoto tells us that when the player would have completed Ocarina of Time, with Zelda Ura he could revisit the same world, but with new features, new characters and more places to explore. Many questions and mysteries from Ocarina of Time would be aswered in Ura, like the invincible runner from Hirule Field, the Unicorn Fountain, the Ocarina Pedestal and many others.

The title might support the GB Camera to create masks for Link. Miyamoto hinted of this possibility in a 64 Dream interview. If this does turn out to be true, gamers will be able to create their own masks in Talent Studio and implement them into Ura-Zelda.

One of the few features that Nintendo told us about was the addition of new mask quests. Apart from the existing masks, Ura Zelda was to include many more — some of which were no doubt included in Majora’s Mask.

For the most part, it seems like Ura Zelda was pretty much OoTMQ+MM.

• Same plot as OoT, but with redesigned and new dungeons
  • New side quests (with a focus on mask quests)
  • All of the same characters, with a few new ones
  • Mention of using GB Camera to create masks, which is suspicious because you can obtain a camera in MM
  • There is a beach in MM which willl leave footsteps behind when you walk (though these are only partially persistent)
  • Like 2

In the Majora's Mask 3D Iwata Asks Aonuma mentions how when he was asked to redesign dungeons for URA/Master Quest, he began designing completely new dungeons in secret. These are supposedly the dungeons of Majora's Mask.

Exactly! So I secretly started making new dungeons that weren't in Ocarina of Time, and that was much more fun to me. So, I grew up the courage to ask Miyamoto-san whether I could make a new game, he replied by saying it's ok if I can make it in a year.

You can read about it here: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/majoras-mask-3d/0/0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.